Help with character set in mobile IE

July 3, 2005 1:12:57 AM

Hi,

When I open a web page with a cyrillic character set Cyrillic (Windows) I
can read everything, but sites with encoding KOI8-R, although I get cyrillic
text, are not readable. Changing Default character set under
Tools->Options... does not do anything. I do not even think it changes
character set at all. I tried playing with other character sets with the
same result, even refreshing page ... Any idea?

Oh, yes, it is Dell X50v with windows 2003.

Thanks

More about : character set mobile

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:42:13 PM

"Not readable" - wrong characters displayed? IEMo supports KOI8-R, so I
suspect that even though the <meta charset> tag in the page or the http
headers specified KOI8-R, the page is not in fact encoded with that
character set.

The tools->options->language setting only applies if there's no encoding
information available for the document at all.

To track down the source of the problem, I'd suggest making a private copy
of the page, stripping out the <meta http-equiv="content-type"> tag if it
exists, and then changing the language settings.

Andy.

"News" <zoom191919@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When I open a web page with a cyrillic character set Cyrillic (Windows) I
> can read everything, but sites with encoding KOI8-R, although I get
> cyrillic text, are not readable. Changing Default character set under
> Tools->Options... does not do anything. I do not even think it changes
> character set at all. I tried playing with other character sets with the
> same result, even refreshing page ... Any idea?
>
> Oh, yes, it is Dell X50v with windows 2003.
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 11:26:27 AM

Thanks Andy,

But I checked the site on my desktop which is working very well and char set
is set to KOI8-R. I think this relates to a problem with mobile IE. Just not
sure how to correct it. Sites with Cyrillic (Windows) encoding read just
fine. Here is the exmaple:
1. www.rambler.ru Cyrillic (Windows)
2. http://tv.rtvi.ru/webtv2/usa/rtvi KOI8-R

First site reads fine on pocket pc, second does not.

"Andy Dadi" <adadi@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Not readable" - wrong characters displayed? IEMo supports KOI8-R, so I
> suspect that even though the <meta charset> tag in the page or the http
> headers specified KOI8-R, the page is not in fact encoded with that
> character set.
>
> The tools->options->language setting only applies if there's no encoding
> information available for the document at all.
>
> To track down the source of the problem, I'd suggest making a private copy
> of the page, stripping out the <meta http-equiv="content-type"> tag if it
> exists, and then changing the language settings.
>
> Andy.
>
> "News" <zoom191919@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I open a web page with a cyrillic character set Cyrillic (Windows) I
>> can read everything, but sites with encoding KOI8-R, although I get
>> cyrillic text, are not readable. Changing Default character set under
>> Tools->Options... does not do anything. I do not even think it changes
>> character set at all. I tried playing with other character sets with the
>> same result, even refreshing page ... Any idea?
>>
>> Oh, yes, it is Dell X50v with windows 2003.
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:30:40 PM

The desktop makes a better guess than pIE. This is from the source for that
page:

Clearly, not KOI8-R. The desktop ignores this, IE mobile honors it. Set
the encoding to "Cyrillic (Windows)" on the desktop and you'll get the same
garbled page that IE mobile renders. Perhaps you can contact the webmaster
to fix the page...

news:o PC181hgFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!