Sears price match ever used successfully for a plasma/HDTV?

Tags:
  • HDTV
  • TV
  • Home Theatre
Last response: in Home Theatre
October 26, 2004 1:41:10 AM

Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
(or other high-priced item?)

I want to purchase a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv. Sears sells it for $2999.

Online, i can find it for about 2200. Sears pricematch offers to match any
price and give an additional 10% off.

I want to pricematch the tv, get the additional 10% off, use a Sears credit
card to get an additional 10% off.
Of course, I expect to be given some grief in trying to price match.

Has anyone used this successfully?

More about : sears price match successfully plasma hdtv

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:41:11 AM

you sure it works when the lower price is online?

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
> (or other high-priced item?)
>
> I want to purchase a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv. Sears sells it for
$2999.

> Online, i can find it for about 2200. Sears pricematch offers to match
any
> price and give an additional 10% off.
>
> I want to pricematch the tv, get the additional 10% off, use a Sears
credit
> card to get an additional 10% off.
> Of course, I expect to be given some grief in trying to price match.
>
> Has anyone used this successfully?

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:41:11 AM

I've NEVER seen any price match policy match on-line prices.

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
> (or other high-priced item?)
>
> I want to purchase a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv. Sears sells it for
> $2999.
>
> Online, i can find it for about 2200. Sears pricematch offers to match
> any
> price and give an additional 10% off.
>
> I want to pricematch the tv, get the additional 10% off, use a Sears
> credit
> card to get an additional 10% off.
> Of course, I expect to be given some grief in trying to price match.
>
> Has anyone used this successfully?

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:41:11 AM

No brick & mortar retailer will ever "price match" based on Internet
prices.

Specifically with Sears, as it is with most other retailers, the price
match is only good on the *Exact* *Same* *Model* *Number* using the
manufacturer's model nomenclature.

You are apt to find it difficult to exactly match model numbers, because
with major ticket items many stores carry only "similar" models and not
"identical" models.

This is not by accident...

Generally speaking you can usually find "a better deal" online, but be
sure to factor in the tax and the shipping offset. What the tax man
giveth, the shipper often taketh away.

I'm ordinarily hesitant to purchase large, or heavy, and/or fragile mdse
from mailorder outlets because of the potential for the product to sustain
shipping damage and because of the ordeal of having to re-pack such items
and return them if/when there is a problem. When I make an exception it is
only because I have been unable to find the exact specific item locally
and am adamant about wanting the *specific* item and no other. In fact I
am about to make just such an exception for a specific model laser
printer. One would think in the 4th largest city in the USA (Houston) with
abundant major name stores like CompUSA, MicroCenter, FRYs Electronics,
Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, OfficeMAX, etcetera that somewhere
in town I could find a Brother HL-5150D (no, not the 5140 or the 5150DLT,
I want only the "5150D") (21-ppm duplex)

<anonymous@anon.com> wrote:

> Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
> (or other high-priced item?)
>
> I want to purchase a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv. Sears sells it for $2999.
>
> Online, i can find it for about 2200. Sears pricematch offers to match any
> price and give an additional 10% off.
>
> I want to pricematch the tv, get the additional 10% off, use a Sears credit
> card to get an additional 10% off.
> Of course, I expect to be given some grief in trying to price match.
>
> Has anyone used this successfully?

I recently purchased a Sony Wega KV-30HS420 from Sears. At the time
Sears was selling it for $999.95. Circuit City was selling it for
$949.00 and they price matched this price. They checked it by going
online at Circuti City right from the Sears store.

Two weeks later Circuit City again lowered their price to $899.00. I
went to Sears and they price matched again. Gave me another $50.00 off
plus 10% of the $50.00 plus sales tax.

Sears Price Match is good for 30 days. They give the details on their
website. Look under Customer Service site menu etc.

I also did the extra 10% off and 12 months no interest with Sears card.

Bottom line Sears treated me really well on this transaction. After
years of frustration with stores like Best Buy etc. this was a good
experience.

Good luck
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:41:12 AM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:34:24 -0500, Mr Fixit <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote:
: No brick & mortar retailer will ever "price match" based on Internet
: prices.
:

Not always true.

About a year ago, I purchased a Sony KF-50WE610 LCD projection TV. I found the lowest price I
could on the Web, including shipping. I took a printout first to Circuit City (since we had
spent the most time looking at TV's there), and said, "If you can match this bottom line
price, then I will buy right now." They would not do the match. I then went to Sears and
did the same thing. Their price (TV, delivery, and sales tax) was within a couple of bucks of
the on-line price. They also had a special that got me an $80 rebate on a DVD player, which I
also needed. And with each purchase (TV and DVD player) I also got a $5 coupon good for
anything else in the store.

Whether this was standard Sears policy, or if I had a slick salesman who would do anything to
get his commission, I can't say. But Sears did match the on-line price.
October 26, 2004 2:20:03 AM

Change your name to Mr. Wrong.

"Mr Fixit" <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote in message
> No brick & mortar retailer will ever "price match" based on Internet
> prices.
>
> Specifically with Sears, as it is with most other retailers, the price
> match is only good on the *Exact* *Same* *Model* *Number* using the
> manufacturer's model nomenclature.
>
> You are apt to find it difficult to exactly match model numbers, because
> with major ticket items many stores carry only "similar" models and not
> "identical" models.
>
> This is not by accident...
>
> Generally speaking you can usually find "a better deal" online, but be
> sure to factor in the tax and the shipping offset. What the tax man
> giveth, the shipper often taketh away.
>
> I'm ordinarily hesitant to purchase large, or heavy, and/or fragile mdse
> from mailorder outlets because of the potential for the product to sustain
> shipping damage and because of the ordeal of having to re-pack such items
> and return them if/when there is a problem. When I make an exception it is
> only because I have been unable to find the exact specific item locally
> and am adamant about wanting the *specific* item and no other. In fact I
> am about to make just such an exception for a specific model laser
> printer. One would think in the 4th largest city in the USA (Houston) with
> abundant major name stores like CompUSA, MicroCenter, FRYs Electronics,
> Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, OfficeMAX, etcetera that somewhere
> in town I could find a Brother HL-5150D (no, not the 5140 or the 5150DLT,
> I want only the "5150D") (21-ppm duplex)
>
> In article <Wpefd.3777$uQ4.925@trndny08> "Verizon User"
> <anonymous@anon.com> writes:
>
>>Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
>>(or other high-priced item?)
>>
>>I want to purchase a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv. Sears sells it for
>>$2999.
>>
>>Online, i can find it for about 2200. Sears pricematch offers to match
>>any
>>price and give an additional 10% off.
>>
>>I want to pricematch the tv, get the additional 10% off, use a Sears
>>credit
>>card to get an additional 10% off.
>>Of course, I expect to be given some grief in trying to price match.
>>
>>Has anyone used this successfully?

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 2:30:34 AM

more the latter...certainly you have always have a chance on stuff like tvs
to go to the store and give them the chance to match a price you could get
elsewhere...as far as demanding that they must do it because of their policy
is another story...i actually got my hdtv from hh gregg showing them the
circuit city website in their store

"George Schroeder" <gschroed@muir.eng.killSpam.uop.edu> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:34:24 -0500, Mr Fixit <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote:
> : No brick & mortar retailer will ever "price match" based on Internet
> : prices.
> :
>
> Not always true.
>
> About a year ago, I purchased a Sony KF-50WE610 LCD projection TV. I
found the lowest price I
> could on the Web, including shipping. I took a printout first to Circuit
City (since we had
> spent the most time looking at TV's there), and said, "If you can match
this bottom line
> price, then I will buy right now." They would not do the match. I then
went to Sears and
> did the same thing. Their price (TV, delivery, and sales tax) was within
a couple of bucks of
> the on-line price. They also had a special that got me an $80 rebate on a
DVD player, which I
> also needed. And with each purchase (TV and DVD player) I also got a $5
coupon good for
> anything else in the store.
>
> Whether this was standard Sears policy, or if I had a slick salesman who
would do anything to
> get his commission, I can't say. But Sears did match the on-line price.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 2:36:12 AM

in what category is houston the 4th largest city in the us? largest hats?
biggest rednecks?

"Mr Fixit" <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote in message
> No brick & mortar retailer will ever "price match" based on Internet
> prices.
>
> Specifically with Sears, as it is with most other retailers, the price
> match is only good on the *Exact* *Same* *Model* *Number* using the
> manufacturer's model nomenclature.
>
> You are apt to find it difficult to exactly match model numbers, because
> with major ticket items many stores carry only "similar" models and not
> "identical" models.
>
> This is not by accident...
>
> Generally speaking you can usually find "a better deal" online, but be
> sure to factor in the tax and the shipping offset. What the tax man
> giveth, the shipper often taketh away.
>
> I'm ordinarily hesitant to purchase large, or heavy, and/or fragile mdse
> from mailorder outlets because of the potential for the product to sustain
> shipping damage and because of the ordeal of having to re-pack such items
> and return them if/when there is a problem. When I make an exception it is
> only because I have been unable to find the exact specific item locally
> and am adamant about wanting the *specific* item and no other. In fact I
> am about to make just such an exception for a specific model laser
> printer. One would think in the 4th largest city in the USA (Houston) with
> abundant major name stores like CompUSA, MicroCenter, FRYs Electronics,
> Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, OfficeMAX, etcetera that somewhere
> in town I could find a Brother HL-5150D (no, not the 5140 or the 5150DLT,
> I want only the "5150D") (21-ppm duplex)
>
> In article <Wpefd.3777$uQ4.925@trndny08> "Verizon User"
> <anonymous@anon.com> writes:
>
> >Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
> >(or other high-priced item?)
> >
> >I want to purchase a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv. Sears sells it for
$2999.

> >Online, i can find it for about 2200. Sears pricematch offers to match
any
> >price and give an additional 10% off.
> >
> >I want to pricematch the tv, get the additional 10% off, use a Sears
credit
> >card to get an additional 10% off.
> >Of course, I expect to be given some grief in trying to price match.
> >
> >Has anyone used this successfully?

October 26, 2004 3:50:28 AM

Then you ain't been to Sears. They WILL match on-line pricing, but you also
have to show them the shipping cost which they will add to the item price.
The total of those two things they WILL match.

"Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've NEVER seen any price match policy match on-line prices.
>
> "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
>> (or other high-priced item?)
>>
>> I want to purchase a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv. Sears sells it for
>> $2999.
>>
>> Online, i can find it for about 2200. Sears pricematch offers to match
>> any
>> price and give an additional 10% off.
>>
>> I want to pricematch the tv, get the additional 10% off, use a Sears
>> credit
>> card to get an additional 10% off.
>> Of course, I expect to be given some grief in trying to price match.
>>
>> Has anyone used this successfully?

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 4:21:21 AM

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
> (or other high-priced item?)

As I have posted here before, I bought a Sony KDF-60XS955 HDTV from Sears a
couple of weeks ago (it's being delivered tomorrow morning) at several
hundred dollars off using this method.

MSRP around $4400. Sears on the web $4099. I had been quoted (but not even
in writing!) $3699 by a local applicance store, which I reported to Sears.
They matched it, plus 10% of the difference = $3652. Then, because it did
not come in last Thursday as it was scheduled to, they reduced the price
another 10% of the TV price. Final price = $3250. Wholesale on this set, I
have been told, is about $3150.

So, yeah, negotiating with price match at Sears is definitely worth doing.
In fact, my experience has been that buying expensive TV's is now like
buying cars -- don't even think about paying sticker price!

mack
austin
October 26, 2004 4:21:22 AM

Mack McKinnon wrote:

> "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
> > (or other high-priced item?)
>
> As I have posted here before, I bought a Sony KDF-60XS955 HDTV from Sears a
> couple of weeks ago (it's being delivered tomorrow morning) at several
> hundred dollars off using this method.
>
> MSRP around $4400. Sears on the web $4099. I had been quoted (but not even
> in writing!) $3699 by a local applicance store, which I reported to Sears.
> They matched it, plus 10% of the difference = $3652. Then, because it did
> not come in last Thursday as it was scheduled to, they reduced the price
> another 10% of the TV price. Final price = $3250. Wholesale on this set, I
> have been told, is about $3150.
>
> So, yeah, negotiating with price match at Sears is definitely worth doing.
> In fact, my experience has been that buying expensive TV's is now like
> buying cars -- don't even think about paying sticker price!
>
> mack
> austin

Sears actually buys most of their big-ticket items at below-wholesale prices.
The catch is that any manufacturers warranty is actually handled by Sears.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 4:30:28 AM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:41:10 GMT, "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com>
wrote:

(Warning, LONG - from a current Sears TV & Audio salesman):

>Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
>(or other high-priced item?)

In addition to what the other posters have said in response, I can
give you a few tips & tricks to get your best price on high end
electronics from Sears.

Technically, we do only pricematch our local competitors and the major
big-box retailers but there *can be* a bit of leeway here too... see
below. First off, we salespeople are more than happy to pricematch if
it's legit. The sooner we ring you up and get back out on the floor,
the better for us, so by all means, bring us a pricematch opportunity!
Believe me, if you come up to me with an ad for a thousand dollar
lower price on a Hitachi plasma, I cannot wait to make you and I both
smile.

I have no intention of trying to get you to pay more for that
television. I will try to sell you our protection plan and I will try
to sell you some good cables and I'll try to get you to spread the
word about how easy this transaction was but I'll DEFINITELY not try
to get you out of our price match opportunity.

Now some inside tips.....

First off, outside of price matching I've got 10% to work with (on
sales over a grand). Not a dime more and that INCLUDES on-sale
prices. That's ME. Other salespeople on our staff do not. Nobody
has more than 10% so don't waste your time. So you understand what
I'm saying, if an item's already 5% off (on sale), the most I can do
is another 5% off, PERIOD. I cannot compound anything either. In
other words, if you have a $50 off coupon, I cannot get away with 10%
off PLUS that $50 coupon.... I'd get fired.

Remember, this is a totally different situation than a legitimate
price match. Price matching can go on all day long as long as we can
show a copy of an ad from any local retailer or any national big box.
Even if it's half price from what we're selling it for. The policy
is, their price PLUS 10% of the difference, as long as we can show our
boss in writing.

One time recently, Circuit City had the 46" Samsung DLP on their web
site for a thousand dollars less than our retail price and I price
matched it, printed out the page. The boss had checked on my price
match since it was so huge and it turns out it was a mistake that CC
had corrected by the time my boss looked at their web site. I got
called into his office and he was PISSED off, about to fire me. I
showed him the printed page and we both realized it was just a mistake
that had quickly been corrected on CC's web site and that was the end
of the 3rd degree and grilling. The bottom line is, the customer got
a STEAL.

So anyway, how do you know if you are talking to somebody who has the
ability to "cut a bit of a deal" (within that 10%)? First off, you
need to find somebody who's being paid on commission. Not all of us
are paid commission, it depends upon the Sears store. How do you know
you are at a store that pays commission? Look at the size of the
store. Only the A & B stores pay commission. A & B stores are the
huge ones found generally in the larger metro areas. If there is a
huge display of TV's, you're in an A or B store.

Now how do you find a salesman who can wheel and deal? This is where
it gets tricky. In my particular store, if you are a marginal
salesman or if you cut too many "unauthorized" deals, you can't be
cutting deals. People who can't sell and people who can't sell
without cutting deals never last more than about 8 months, so if it
were me, I'd be asking the salesperson how long they've worked there.
If the answer is a year or more, the chances are good you are talking
to somebody who is trusted not to give away the proverbial "farm" and
who is assumed by management to be doing business in Sears' overall
best interest.

For example, let me give you some personal examples based upon my own
in-store experiences. We've got about 10 salespeople in my
department. Of those 10, about 5 of them are new and about 5 of us
have been there over a year. Of the 5 of us that have been there over
a year, nobody says anything if we cut an occasional 5 or 10% deal or
do zero percent financing when it's not being advertized. The reason
why is because we rarely do it - maybe on 1 out of 10 sales and
management has learned to trust our judgement.

Of the other 5, they can't do it, no matter how much you want them to.
Some have tried it and were written up for it and told they cannot cut
deals to get a sale. This is how Sears starts us out, probably to
hammer home the notion that we are NOT to give their money away under
any circumstances, when the fact is, we are not TRUSTED to do this
until we've proven ourselves to be able to do it only when it is
absolutely a last resort (this is an "unwritten rule").

So, if it were *me*, and I were shopping for a TV, I'd be shopping for
a salesman first. I'd find an A or B store and I'd be asking the
salesman how long they've worked there. If less than a year, I'd
leave for a few minutes and come back until I got the answer I wanted
- over a year. Then I'd just come right out and say, "look, I already
know the deal, I know somebody who works for Sears. You give me 10%
off on this set, we can just walk right up to the cash register right
now".

Expect to be told it is not possible but stand your ground. The
reason we say this is because the more of these we do, the more we get
on the proverbial "radar screen". Even the best of us will get fired
if we cut a 10% deal on even a quarter of our sales. If the salesman
stands his or her ground on your 10% deal, it's because he or she has
had a 'talking to" recently, due to an apparent inability to close
most deals at full retail. In this instance, you have 2 options if
you want to buy from Sears. Option 1, find another salesman on
another day or in another A or B store. Option 2, settle for 5%, or
something that won't put the guy or gal on the radar screen.

I hope this helps :-)
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:01:14 AM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:23:55 -0700, Julie <julie@nospam.com> wrote:

>> So, yeah, negotiating with price match at Sears is definitely worth doing.
>> In fact, my experience has been that buying expensive TV's is now like
>> buying cars -- don't even think about paying sticker price!
>>
>> mack
>
>Sears actually buys most of their big-ticket items at below-wholesale prices.
>The catch is that any manufacturers warranty is actually handled by Sears.

True, Julie... however; I'd not call it a "catch" because if you buy a
Samsung DLP, a Sony LCD, a Hitachi RP, or any other television from
Sears, you *can* opt to take up any warranty issues with the actual
manufacturer of the set... OR, you can just call Sears and their techs
will perform the warranty work without having to deal with Samsung,
Sony, Hitachi, etc., directly. I recommend the latter of the two
choices :-)
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:10:33 AM

In alt.tv.tech.hdtv, Mr Fixit <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote:

> One would think in the 4th largest city in the USA (Houston) with

Since when are you guys bigger than Philly?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 10:21:43 AM

"HDTV-slingr" <NOSPAMMERS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:23:55 -0700, Julie <julie@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >> So, yeah, negotiating with price match at Sears is definitely worth
doing.
> >> In fact, my experience has been that buying expensive TV's is now like
> >> buying cars -- don't even think about paying sticker price!
> >>
> >> mack
> >
> >Sears actually buys most of their big-ticket items at below-wholesale
prices.
> >The catch is that any manufacturers warranty is actually handled by
Sears.

> True, Julie... however; I'd not call it a "catch" because if you buy a
> Samsung DLP, a Sony LCD, a Hitachi RP, or any other television from
> Sears, you *can* opt to take up any warranty issues with the actual
> manufacturer of the set... OR, you can just call Sears and their techs
> will perform the warranty work without having to deal with Samsung,
> Sony, Hitachi, etc., directly. I recommend the latter of the two
> choices :-)

Not true in all cases. Some products that Sears bought from major
manufacturers are not supported by those manufacturers at all, in any way.
You can not even get cross reference information from the manufacturer for
those models, even though there are models that are identical. Many Zenith
sourced TV/VCR units come to mind. Zenith will send you to Sears and sears
will have their own "support". Circuit City did this on a few products as
well.

I would not buy any unit from Sears that is not in the normal distribution
line for a given manufacturer. If it is then your statement is almost
certainly true. Bottom line...if you can't compare apples to apples, don't
assume you are getting apples.

Leonard

Leonard
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 10:28:45 AM

Good advice and insight for shopping at Sears.

Leonard

> [...]
> know the deal, I know somebody who works for Sears. You give me 10%
> off on this set, we can just walk right up to the cash register right
> now".
>
> Expect to be told it is not possible but stand your ground. The
> reason we say this is because the more of these we do, the more we get
> on the proverbial "radar screen". Even the best of us will get fired
> if we cut a 10% deal on even a quarter of our sales. If the salesman
> stands his or her ground on your 10% deal, it's because he or she has
> had a 'talking to" recently, due to an apparent inability to close
> most deals at full retail. In this instance, you have 2 options if
> you want to buy from Sears. Option 1, find another salesman on
> another day or in another A or B store. Option 2, settle for 5%, or
> something that won't put the guy or gal on the radar screen.

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 2:53:52 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:21:43 -0400, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
wrote:

>Some products that Sears bought from major
>manufacturers are not supported by those manufacturers at all, in any way.
>You can not even get cross reference information from the manufacturer for
>those models, even though there are models that are identical. Many Zenith
>sourced TV/VCR units come to mind. Zenith will send you to Sears and sears
>will have their own "support".

Very interesting... I stand corrected. Thanx, Leonard :-)
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:02:55 PM

"oscargrouch" <leeYOURjackVIRGINITYmo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> more the latter...certainly you have always have a chance on stuff like
tvs
> to go to the store and give them the chance to match a price you could get
> elsewhere...as far as demanding that they must do it because of their
policy
> is another story...i actually got my hdtv from hh gregg showing them the
> circuit city website in their store

Absolutely. "...demanding that they must do it..." is not generally a good
way to negotiate anything. Makes the other person set his feet and
determine never to give an inch. Better to be extremely polite and
deferential while quietly holding your ground. With something like a TV,
you can simply take in your notebook and pencil and gather information --
all the benefits of buying and the bottom line price at each dealer -- then
show the quotes to get your better price. Bottom line, you may end up
paying a little more because other benefits make a higher price worth it to
you. Or not. But, in my experience, these TV dealers will definitely
negotiate.

mack
austin
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:11:43 PM

Thanks for posting all this "inside baseball" advice.

Based on my experience, though, Sears price match policies must vary from
store to store, manager to manager. At the Sears store where I bought my
new model Sony KDF-60XS955, they came down several hundred dollars on a
price match of a local appliance store, which had already knocked the price
down several hundred dollars off MSRP, without even having an ad or a
written price offer. The salesman asked me for something in writing but I
didn't have it. I just had my word on what I had been quoted. He asked his
boss and got immediate approval for the price match plus 10% of the
difference.

Later, they lowered the price another $400 when the TV was going to be 5
days late on delivery. Ended up about $1200 under MSRP.

My advice would be, if you get a good price quote, get it in writing so you
have something to take to Sears. If not, if all you have is your word for
it, try it -- it worked for me. If not that, then just negotiate.
Obviously, at some Sears stores -- well, at least one -- there is a huge
leeway.

mack
austin

> [...]
> know the deal, I know somebody who works for Sears. You give me 10%
> off on this set, we can just walk right up to the cash register right
> now".
>
> Expect to be told it is not possible but stand your ground. The
> reason we say this is because the more of these we do, the more we get
> on the proverbial "radar screen". Even the best of us will get fired
> if we cut a 10% deal on even a quarter of our sales. If the salesman
> stands his or her ground on your 10% deal, it's because he or she has
> had a 'talking to" recently, due to an apparent inability to close
> most deals at full retail. In this instance, you have 2 options if
> you want to buy from Sears. Option 1, find another salesman on
> another day or in another A or B store. Option 2, settle for 5%, or
> something that won't put the guy or gal on the radar screen.

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:21:16 PM

"Julie" <julie@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Sears actually buys most of their big-ticket items at below-wholesale
prices.
> The catch is that any manufacturers warranty is actually handled by Sears.

Yes, this is what I was also told by the person who told me the "wholesale"
price on my Sony TV. Sears sold it to me for about $100 over this wholesale
price but, being a huge buyer, they almost certainly pay below standard
wholesale.

Which is great! Otherwise, they couldn't sell for such a low price.

Here in Austin, if you buy a Sony set under manufacturers warranty, after
whatever store "satisfaction guarantee" warranty you get, warranty repairs
are handled by one of two or three local TV repair shops, but Sears is not
one of them, or so I was told by a local dealer. If you buy the Sears
extended coverage, then they handle repairs from day one and I imagine get
reimbursed by Sony for warranty-covered repairs.

I normally never buy extended warranties, but I did buy the Sears coverage
for this TV. For $400 / 3 years, they cover everything in-home, including
the lamp. And have a pretty good reputation, as far as I can tell.

mack
austin
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:27:26 PM

Thanks VERY much for a VERY detailed post. You really should charge people
for this kind of info!
A couple of questions: 1) what do you mean by the 10% discount you keep
referring to? In other words, I thought there is no arguing the
pricematch - 10%.. that is a guarantee. So what is this other 10% you refer
to?

2) The sears.com website says that they do pricematch online retailers:
"If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an
identical branded item with the same features currently available for sale
and delivery in your area from a local retail store's online site, Sears
will match that total price Plus, give you 10% of the difference"

But I guess this only works if it is a regular local store that happens to
have a website? So some plasma tv online retailer in NYC which has a
showroom there won't work for me if I live in Philadelphia?

3) Here WAS my plan. If you were the salesman in my store (Sears in King
of Prussia, PA-- definitely an "A and B store"), would you allow this?:

a) Print a copy of the order sheet from shopsunshine.com (
http://tinyurl.com/5wgab ) who is advertising a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv
for $2249 (Sears price is $2999). This company does have a showroom in
Brooklyn however I live in Philadelphia-- not exactly my "local" retail
store, but it is 3 hours away).

b) Ask sears to pricematch - 10%. Then I would like to pay with a new
Sears card and get an EXTRA 10% off.

c) I live near Delaware which has no sales tax. Can I ask my salesman to
order the tv, get his commission, but have it sent to my neighboring
Delaware Sears for me to pick it up?

Is this all legit? Is there any other tip you recommend? Finally, i don't
want to screw over the salesman, but the Sears extended warranty on this tv
is $500 more than I can pay elsewhere. So will he be really pissed if I
don' t get the warranty or any major accessories?

THANKS AGAIN!!

> [...]
> know the deal, I know somebody who works for Sears. You give me 10%
> off on this set, we can just walk right up to the cash register right
> now".
>
> Expect to be told it is not possible but stand your ground. The
> reason we say this is because the more of these we do, the more we get
> on the proverbial "radar screen". Even the best of us will get fired
> if we cut a 10% deal on even a quarter of our sales. If the salesman
> stands his or her ground on your 10% deal, it's because he or she has
> had a 'talking to" recently, due to an apparent inability to close
> most deals at full retail. In this instance, you have 2 options if
> you want to buy from Sears. Option 1, find another salesman on
> another day or in another A or B store. Option 2, settle for 5%, or
> something that won't put the guy or gal on the radar screen.

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:27:27 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:27:26 GMT, "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com>
wrote:

>A couple of questions: 1) what do you mean by the 10% discount you keep
>referring to? In other words, I thought there is no arguing the
>pricematch - 10%.. that is a guarantee. So what is this other 10% you refer
>to?

Ok, first off, it's primatch minus 10% of the DIFFERENCE. If a
competitor has a plasma (same model, same brand) for $1,000 less than
Sears, after the pricematch, we beat the competitor by $100 (10% of
the difference).

The other 10% isn't an additional 10%, it's just an every day
thing.... just the leeway I have when making a sale. 10% from the
full retail price. To clarify, I'm just saying even if you don't have
an ad for me to compete with, I personally *could* give you up to 10%
off the full retail price on a big ticket item *IF* you and I hit it
off alright.

>2) The sears.com website says that they do pricematch online retailers:
>"If you find a lower price (including shipping, handling and delivery) on an
>identical branded item with the same features currently available for sale
>and delivery in your area from a local retail store's online site, Sears
>will match that total price Plus, give you 10% of the difference"
>
>But I guess this only works if it is a regular local store that happens to
>have a website? So some plasma tv online retailer in NYC which has a
>showroom there won't work for me if I live in Philadelphia?

Exactly. The reason we don't just pricematch any website's offer is
because if I wanted to, in 15 minutes I could put up a website that
has a Hitachi 42" plasma TV for $999, then print out the ad and walk
into any Sears with it and walk out with the TV for $599... ain't
gonna happen.

>3) Here WAS my plan. If you were the salesman in my store (Sears in King
>of Prussia, PA-- definitely an "A and B store"), would you allow this?:
>
>a) Print a copy of the order sheet from shopsunshine.com (
>http://tinyurl.com/5wgab ) who is advertising a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv
>for $2249 (Sears price is $2999). This company does have a showroom in
>Brooklyn however I live in Philadelphia-- not exactly my "local" retail
>store, but it is 3 hours away).
>
>b) Ask sears to pricematch - 10%. Then I would like to pay with a new
>Sears card and get an EXTRA 10% off.

Ok, if I were your salesman in this instance, I'd try to urge you to
take a drive out there and I'd simply do a store transfer sale so you
could pick up the TV in Brooklyn, where the "local" competitor could
be matched. In this instance, the savings would be well worth a 6 hr.
drive, at least for me.

That extra 10% off using a Sears card thing is over, or if it's not,
it will be any day now. It's just a promotion we do a couple of times
a year. If it's still going on in your area, I'd jump on it quick.

>c) I live near Delaware which has no sales tax. Can I ask my salesman to
>order the tv, get his commission, but have it sent to my neighboring
>Delaware Sears for me to pick it up?

Yes, as I explained earlier in this post, I can (and often do) sell
TV's all over the US for people. I live in a vacation type area and
we get people from all over the US and they are suprised when I tell
them the TV is waiting for them back home, thousands of miles away.
For example, just a few weeks ago, I had a Toshiba TV delivered and
set up for a resident in NYC who was visiting somebody here on the
Gulf Coast.

The salesman will get his commission regardless of where you want to
pick up the TV.

>Is this all legit?

Of course. We're not stealing anything here, we're just trying to be
competitive and earn your biz so as long as it's a legitimate
pricematch or as long as we're within that 10% from full retail area,
nobody's going to get fired and nobody in uniform is going to be
asking you any questions. Now as far as my telling you all this
inside stuff, I'm sure the higher ups wouldn't appreciate me doing it
but I haven't signed any non-disclosure forms either ;-)

>Is there any other tip you recommend?

Be nice to your salesman and if he / she takes good care of you, send
him / her referrals and don't go anywhere else and don't buy from
another salesman in the future. Heck, I even go hook up surround
sound systems for free in my off-time for my loyal customers who send
referrals to me.

>Finally, i don't
>want to screw over the salesman, but the Sears extended warranty on this tv
>is $500 more than I can pay elsewhere. So will he be really pissed if I
>don' t get the warranty or any major accessories?

No, he won't be pissed but he'd surely be bummed out because we do
make a nice commish on accessories and protection agreements ;-)

There is one thing, however; to bear in mind: "Your Satisfaction Is
Guaranteed" at Sears. When your extended is purchased through Sears,
you *always* have that one little trump card to pull out if there are
problems down the road. I won't get into specifics (I've already
given out way too much info) but let's just say I've seen REDICULOUS
hoops jumped through when a customer insistently pulls that little
trump card from their hats ;-)

You've got all the info you need... happy buyin' and best of luck to
ya :-)
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 11:39:56 PM

After my Sony HDTV died and I tried to get warranty service, I really see
the value of buying at Sears and just taking the set in for warranty
service.

My advice, even if Sears wants $100 or so more--buy it at Sears,

--Dan

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone successfully used the Sears Price Match policy for a plasma TV
> (or other high-priced item?)
>
> I want to purchase a Panasonic 42PD25U plasma tv. Sears sells it for
$2999.

> Online, i can find it for about 2200. Sears pricematch offers to match
any
> price and give an additional 10% off.
>
> I want to pricematch the tv, get the additional 10% off, use a Sears
credit
> card to get an additional 10% off.
> Of course, I expect to be given some grief in trying to price match.
>
> Has anyone used this successfully?

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:16:24 AM

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After my Sony HDTV died and I tried to get warranty service, I really see
> the value of buying at Sears and just taking the set in for warranty
> service.
>
> My advice, even if Sears wants $100 or so more--buy it at Sears,

It's $400 for 3 years.

mack
austin
October 27, 2004 6:35:22 AM

I love buying stuff at Sears. Buy the warranty, they will stand behind it. I
had three 61" TV's replaced cause I didn't like them. Find an online
retailer that does that.
Also, they will price match internet prices. I've had the salesperson go
online with me at the store to check the prices.
I almost bought a 50" Pioneer Plasma at Sears that was disply model and
after 1 day of second guessing myself someone bought it out from under my
nose when I was there. The price was $3600. Can't beat that.
"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:cVAfd.1819$EI6.878@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After my Sony HDTV died and I tried to get warranty service, I really see
>> the value of buying at Sears and just taking the set in for warranty
>> service.
>>
>> My advice, even if Sears wants $100 or so more--buy it at Sears,
>
> It's $400 for 3 years.
>
> mack
> austin

October 27, 2004 3:10:18 PM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 02:35:22 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:

Every Sears store I've been to has the poorest display of TVs. The
signal is hardly viewable.
Thumper
>I love buying stuff at Sears. Buy the warranty, they will stand behind it. I
>had three 61" TV's replaced cause I didn't like them. Find an online
>retailer that does that.
>Also, they will price match internet prices. I've had the salesperson go
>online with me at the store to check the prices.
>I almost bought a 50" Pioneer Plasma at Sears that was disply model and
>after 1 day of second guessing myself someone bought it out from under my
>nose when I was there. The price was $3600. Can't beat that.
>"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
>message news:cVAfd.1819$EI6.878@fe2.texas.rr.com...
>> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> After my Sony HDTV died and I tried to get warranty service, I really see
>>> the value of buying at Sears and just taking the set in for warranty
>>> service.
>>>
>>> My advice, even if Sears wants $100 or so more--buy it at Sears,
>>
>> It's $400 for 3 years.
>>
>> mack
>> austin

To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:10:19 PM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:10:18 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Every Sears store I've been to has the poorest display of TVs. The
>signal is hardly viewable.

I don't know what the deal is with the poor signals you've seen but I
can tell you in the store I work at, the lighting is horrible. Our
television display area looks like a big, carpeted gymnasium with
bright, flourescent lighting beating directly down upon one of the
largest high-end TV assortments in the state... too bright a room for
selling pillows, much less TV's. I really wish they'd do something
about that.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 5:45:21 PM

"Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 02:35:22 GMT, "None" <nowhere@none.net> wrote:
>

> Every Sears store I've been to has the poorest display of TVs. The
> signal is hardly viewable.
> Thumper

I looked at TV's in two Sears stores in the Austin area. One TV department,
in a smaller Sears store, was inadequate but the other was excellent --
large, with an excellent selection of the latest models. The signal on the
TV's in both stores was fine. I can't imagine that there is a problem with
the cable signal that would be pervasive through Sears stores but not other
stores.

I think the problem you observed is probably ubiquitous. There are many
variables to be set via menus in these new HDTV's and the factory defaults
may not be optimum. For example, my TV came from the factory with the
picture set to "Vivid" (ugly) and "Live Color" set to "high" (makes the
white areas swim). A salesperson in any store would have to be aware of
this sort of thing in order to re-program the menus so the TV displays look
good. I doubt this is always the case. And I am sure that customers,
messing with the display models, constantly throw them off.

mack
austin
October 27, 2004 10:33:54 PM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:38:27 -0500, HDTV-slingr
<NOSPAMMERS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:10:18 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Every Sears store I've been to has the poorest display of TVs. The
>>signal is hardly viewable.
>
>I don't know what the deal is with the poor signals you've seen but I
>can tell you in the store I work at, the lighting is horrible. Our
>television display area looks like a big, carpeted gymnasium with
>bright, flourescent lighting beating directly down upon one of the
>largest high-end TV assortments in the state... too bright a room for
>selling pillows, much less TV's. I really wish they'd do something
>about that.

There really isn't any excuse for a poor display no matter what the
problem. Circuit City has every one of over one hundred TVs in heir
store adjusted properly and fed with a beautiful signal. I walk into
Sears and feel like challenging the store manager to a contest. Give
me a few grand to fix their layout and display and I'll guarantee I'll
double their sales in a couple of months. It seems they just aren't
interested in selling TVs around here.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 3:19:18 AM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:33:54 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
wrote:

>There really isn't any excuse for a poor display no matter what the
>problem. Circuit City has every one of over one hundred TVs in heir
>store adjusted properly and fed with a beautiful signal. I walk into
>Sears and feel like challenging the store manager to a contest. Give
>me a few grand to fix their layout and display and I'll guarantee I'll
>double their sales in a couple of months. It seems they just aren't
>interested in selling TVs around here.
>Thumper

I hear you loudly and clearly, Thumper and I totally agree with you.
We salespeople are always trying to keep our signal strong and clear
on the high def's but bad splitters, out-of-aim dishes, etc., etc.,
are a constant battle for us. This, along with the HORRIBLE lighting,
lack of advertising brilliance (i.e., check out the kick-assed CC and
BB commercials then check out the latest Sears commercials) is, in my
own opinion, the ONLY reason we are not #1 in the HDTV industry.

Imagine being a salesman at this place. You've got a bad Dish signal
coming into a georgeous HDTV, which is sitting directly under a
flourescent light and you are trying to explain to the customer how
much better this TV will look in their own home. I've literally sent
customers to CC to see certain TV's demoed under the proper lighting,
with a good, clear signal and have been thrilled to see most of them
come back to buy from me.

This is not to say we've always got a bad signal, we don't. I'm sure
CC and BB have their share of times when their dishes are out of aim
(we're in hurricane alley here) too. But the LIGHTING problem is
totally inexcusable.

I agree that Sears is FAR from perfect but again, to be fair, Sears
also has it's good points too. The fact that every store refuses to
be undersold by any competitor in their area combined with the fact
that they do perform any and all warranty work (and for the most part,
quite competently) STILL makes Sears a great place to buy from in the
end.

Please DO give the managers at your local store hell about your
complaints.... don't hold back. I'm one of those guys who'd love to
see Sears pull it's collective head out of their butts in the areas
you've complained here about but they'll listen to you over we lowly
salespeople any day of the week.
October 28, 2004 4:17:27 AM

wrote:

>There really isn't any excuse for a poor display no matter what the
>problem. Circuit City has every one of over one hundred TVs in heir
>store adjusted properly and fed with a beautiful signal. I walk into
>Sears and feel like challenging the store manager to a contest. Give
>me a few grand to fix their layout and display and I'll guarantee I'll
>double their sales in a couple of months. It seems they just aren't
>interested in selling TVs around here.

There's a lot of stupid, lazy people in the world, no doubt.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 8:02:10 PM

HDTV-slingr <NOSPAMMERS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<aqr0o0llapn1dcbj6ddk7t90u501rmk4to@4ax.com>...
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:33:54 GMT, Thumper <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

> >There really isn't any excuse for a poor display no matter what the
> >problem. Circuit City has every one of over one hundred TVs in heir
> >store adjusted properly and fed with a beautiful signal. I walk into
> >Sears and feel like challenging the store manager to a contest. Give
> >me a few grand to fix their layout and display and I'll guarantee I'll
> >double their sales in a couple of months. It seems they just aren't
> >interested in selling TVs around here.
> >Thumper
>
> I hear you loudly and clearly, Thumper and I totally agree with you.
> We salespeople are always trying to keep our signal strong and clear
> on the high def's but bad splitters, out-of-aim dishes, etc., etc.,
> are a constant battle for us. This, along with the HORRIBLE lighting,
> lack of advertising brilliance (i.e., check out the kick-assed CC and
> BB commercials then check out the latest Sears commercials) is, in my
> own opinion, the ONLY reason we are not #1 in the HDTV industry.
>
> Imagine being a salesman at this place. You've got a bad Dish signal
> coming into a georgeous HDTV, which is sitting directly under a
> flourescent light and you are trying to explain to the customer how
> much better this TV will look in their own home. I've literally sent
> customers to CC to see certain TV's demoed under the proper lighting,
> with a good, clear signal and have been thrilled to see most of them
> come back to buy from me.
>
> This is not to say we've always got a bad signal, we don't. I'm sure
> CC and BB have their share of times when their dishes are out of aim
> (we're in hurricane alley here) too. But the LIGHTING problem is
> totally inexcusable.
>
> I agree that Sears is FAR from perfect but again, to be fair, Sears
> also has it's good points too. The fact that every store refuses to
> be undersold by any competitor in their area combined with the fact
> that they do perform any and all warranty work (and for the most part,
> quite competently) STILL makes Sears a great place to buy from in the
> end.

that's a good point-it definitely seems like they've been making great
strides in the home improvement area recently too.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:31:30 AM

About 14 months ago, I purchased my Panasonic 42" EDTV at Sears
utilizing the price match. I believe Sears' price at the time was $4499
(MSRP at most large retailers) and I found an internet deal for $2999. I
simply brought the printout from shopping.com showing the lowest price.
Including the price match + 10% off and another 10% off for opening a
Sears card, I walked away with this plasma for $2600, which is less
than what most places still charge NOW.

--
acousticbiker
January 11, 2005 6:58:15 PM

I walked into a Sears store here in Austin with a quoted price of $3699 on a
Sony KDF-60XS955 RP HDTV, when Sony was still first shipping them and most
stores, including Sears, had them for well over $4000. I did not even have
the quote -- from a local appliance store -- in writing, just verbal. Sears
matched it, plus $50. Came to $3650. On delivery day, they didn't have the
TV. Because they were 4 days late delivering, they knocked off another
$400. End price: $3250.

mack
austin