wow amd does somthing right! R600 has always been ready?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
As an official intel fan boy i like congraduate :twisted: amd for only being 4 months late while they stole the ati engineers to fix their issues. skip the r600 it is now the 700?

amd lies: "According to them(amd), however, R600 could be released today if they were so inclined" tech spot

http://www.techspot.com/news/24842-amd-says-r600-is-ready-to-be-here-in-2q.html

TS: "While there's not an official statement from AMD, according to some the final prices for R600 series based cards are now available. The prices are pretty much exactly what you'd expect, ranging from $99 at the low end for the R610, $199 at the midlevel for the R630XT and upwards of $499 for the high end models. Now we wait to see what the different vendors will be offering. Hopefully AMD will confirm these prices soon, though I wonder how they intend to intend to compete with Nvidia if not on price. Could R600 really be that stellar in terms of performance?"

http://www.techspot.com/news/24864-prices-on-r600-series-revealed.html

and free sound too! 8)

"The Inquirer reports that AMD's R600 GPU includes a built in sound card that handles HD audio and pumps it out over the HDMI connector along with the video. This means if you have a fancy TV or monitor you can get sound and video in just one cable like you can.
R600 HAS A secret weapon, an internal sound card. This is the one thing that Nvidia's G8x can't match, other than HDCP on dual-link HDMI.

The ATI sound implementation is not GPGPU code. It is dedicated silicon, probably brought on by the Vista DRM infection and MS twisting arms to force it on people." amdzone

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I'm not whether or not to flame you yet, so hold up till i figure it out :wink:

As for the card, i laugh at the sound card part. They probably put it in to fill in the space left on the massive pcb we saw in the pics. :lol:

On a serious note, R600 will probably pwn all 8)

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Onboard soundcard, yeah right. Any enthusiast is not going to embrace some afterthought of a sound card on a graphics card. Especially when most enthusiasts already have good sound cards already. I doubt ATi would be stupid enough to do this.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
well with all the 680i sound issues i though its nice to have a back up with the sound.

i just about spend my r600 money a oc 8800gts 640 - now i am confused again. com on amd give us details show off some cards

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
i'd like the idea of sound on the r600, because if you get a 2nd hand mobo you don't need to dig the f*ck around for the integrated audio drivers, also, that slipstreams one more part of an install, only one driver setup instead of 2, having a dedicated sound chip would be good also because if it is good enough to compete with creative ti might be worth looking at, since sound cards are a monopoly at the moment.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Onboard soundcard, yeah right. Any enthusiast is not going to embrace some afterthought of a sound card on a graphics card. Especially when most enthusiasts already have good sound cards already. I doubt ATi would be stupid enough to do this.

I for one think it's a very good idea. I won't use it on my gaming PC, but the R6xx just jumped into the lead for building a HTPC.

pauldh

Illustrious
Problem with many of our soundcards, is Creatives crappy Vista support. But really, if sound quality and driver support are very good, combining audio and video over HDMI is a nice feature to have down the road IMO.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I agree with others that on a gaming pc I don't see the benefit but for an HTPC it is a real benefit. Heck if they want to own the HTPC market build this card as an AIW with their new OCUR cable card support.

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Not to concerned about the sound, its the bridge chip I would like to know more about. But from the sound of things its gonna be a nice line up. Built in sound and they work with agp's. Can not wait

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
I would have to disagree here, but running the sound through hdmi with the video, you would get less interferance and would have hd sound without the need of a very high end sound card, so ati is actually saving some people a pretty nice sized pocket of pennies for new gaming rigs
A higher end stand along PCI sound card is still better for now.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
All MOBO's already have onboard sound and most enthusiast boards have very good onboard sound yet most gamers still buy dedicated audio cards. Do you really think ATI's sound would be better or more worth using than say the sound on the Stryker Extreme. I agree that having only one cable and loading only one driver will be convenient but since when do people who are seeking ultimate performance take the easy way out. The biggest use of this integrated sound will be in the low to mid end and I'm not even really sure about HTPC's because those like me with a high end Home Theater would never rely on sound from an integrated solution.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
So how do you propose we connect our HDMI cable to our speakers and our monitor?

The only real benefit here is like someone said above that it would be in a HTPC, but if ATi does what ATi we all know you aren't going to find a HDMI connection with onboard sound on a midrange gpu, it will of course be on there high end most likely. They would be smart to implement on there AIW but otherwise this plan is a total wash.

You are all getting away from onboard sound from your motherboard, there is not a very good chance that they will be able to put much better sound on there, look at the damn size of the 8800GTX, where are you supposed to put silicon on there for sound.

The best solution if they wanted to use HDMI even tho HDMI is not backed by nvidia or ATi, rather they back displayport, would be to connect the soundcard to the graphics card via some type of bridge comparable to an SLi bridge.

Regardless of whether ATi does this or not there would be no way for any current gamer to use the HDMI cable, cause they would have to either convert to a DVI or they would have no way of connecting it to the speakers. The more i think about it the more this idea seems to lose any momentum for me.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Furthermore, an HDMI cable carries video as well as sound so does that mean you are planning to use your integrated monitor speakers to play HD-audio if not you will need to hook up your surround speakers somewhere so exactly which which monitors have outputs for multi-channel surround. I like AMD-ATI, they have tried to innovate and push the boundries over the years but adding sound will only increase the heat generated by an already too hot component, and increase the cost for a feature that many won't even use

Edit:
So how do you propose we connect our HDMI cable to our speakers and our monitor?
IcY18 beat me to it.

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
The problem with this is that the only good application I can see would be to build a HTPC, and how many people are gonna use a X2900XTX or whatever for a HTPC. They didn't need sound ont he card anyway did they? I thought with the 8 series cards coming out that have HDMI you could pass the sound to the card with a cable inside, and still achieve audio and video over HDMI. I would much rather the option to pass sound from my sound card for HDMI than be forced to have some crappy built in sound on the video card that I will never use.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
connect the soundcard to the graphics card via some type of bridge comparable to an SLi bridge.

That is really a good idea, using something like that with an AIW card and HDMI out to your reciever that would be a great direction to go for HTPC's

Edit: That just reminded me about the thread a while back about how we at THG Forums should buy AMD, not a bad idea imo.

sailer

Splendid
That's a good point, but still, you see tons of newbs buying 8800gtxs every day, so you never know exactly at whom ati was directing this option at

I think there's an answer to that, nobody but fools. EIther this article is a crock full of garbage or AMD/ATI has to be trying out for a part as the biggest bunch of idiots that ever existed in the business world.

They said "there is no problem with the silicon. We are demonstrating it. We can ship it today". Yeah right, and they also think there's a good bridge in Brooklyn for us to buy. They are demonstrating it; to whom, where? I haven't read of one demonstartion, I haven't read one set of benchmarks from any third party reviewer. All I hear is their words of how great a card this will be. They could ship it today? Then why don't they ship it? If it was really ready to be shipped, why would they keep back a potential money maker, a product that could give them some positive cash flow which would then help their stock? If they have the card and hold onto it long enough, Nvidia will just get richer and when the R600 is finally released, Nvidia's new cards will leave it in the dust.

I think this story is nothing more then a continuation of the BS that AMD has been handing out for a months, and they hope we're suckers enough to believe it. Unless they have absolutely insane people in their executive staff, these cards either have undisclosed problems or AMD/ATI just doesn't have enough to ship. They are anything but ready. Until the cards show up in the stores and Tom's, etc are publishing benchmarks, I don't believe it at all.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
As an official intel fan boy i like congraduate :twisted: amd for only being 4 months late while they stole the ati engineers to fix their issues. skip the r600 it is now the 700?

amd lies: "According to them(amd), however, R600 could be released today if they were so inclined" tech spot

http://www.techspot.com/news/24842-amd-says-r600-is-ready-to-be-here-in-2q.html

TS: "While there's not an official statement from AMD, according to some the final prices for R600 series based cards are now available. The prices are pretty much exactly what you'd expect, ranging from $99 at the low end for the R610, $199 at the midlevel for the R630XT and upwards of $499 for the high end models. Now we wait to see what the different vendors will be offering. Hopefully AMD will confirm these prices soon, though I wonder how they intend to intend to compete with Nvidia if not on price. Could R600 really be that stellar in terms of performance?"

http://www.techspot.com/news/24864-prices-on-r600-series-revealed.html

and free sound too! 8)

"The Inquirer reports that AMD's R600 GPU includes a built in sound card that handles HD audio and pumps it out over the HDMI connector along with the video. This means if you have a fancy TV or monitor you can get sound and video in just one cable like you can.
R600 HAS A secret weapon, an internal sound card. This is the one thing that Nvidia's G8x can't match, other than HDCP on dual-link HDMI.

The ATI sound implementation is not GPGPU code. It is dedicated silicon, probably brought on by the Vista DRM infection and MS twisting arms to force it on people." amdzone
This would be more believable if they already had a card sitting at the top of the charts... but they don't. I refuse to believe that ATI had this thing ready while the 8800 cut into their high-end market share like a hot knife through butter (cliché!)

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Point is who spends $600 bucks on a graphics card but doesn't want the latest and greatest soundcard? Thats like saying i'm gonna get a 8800GTX and pair it with 512mb of ram and single core cpu.