Sign in with
Your question

wow amd does somthing right! R600 has always been ready?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2007 2:54:56 AM

As an official intel fan boy i like congraduate :twisted: amd for only being 4 months late while they stole the ati engineers to fix their issues. skip the r600 it is now the 700?

amd lies: "According to them(amd), however, R600 could be released today if they were so inclined" tech spot

http://www.techspot.com/news/24842-amd-says-r600-is-rea...

TS: "While there's not an official statement from AMD, according to some the final prices for R600 series based cards are now available. The prices are pretty much exactly what you'd expect, ranging from $99 at the low end for the R610, $199 at the midlevel for the R630XT and upwards of $499 for the high end models. Now we wait to see what the different vendors will be offering. Hopefully AMD will confirm these prices soon, though I wonder how they intend to intend to compete with Nvidia if not on price. Could R600 really be that stellar in terms of performance?"

http://www.techspot.com/news/24864-prices-on-r600-serie...

and free sound too! 8)

"The Inquirer reports that AMD's R600 GPU includes a built in sound card that handles HD audio and pumps it out over the HDMI connector along with the video. This means if you have a fancy TV or monitor you can get sound and video in just one cable like you can.
R600 HAS A secret weapon, an internal sound card. This is the one thing that Nvidia's G8x can't match, other than HDCP on dual-link HDMI.

The ATI sound implementation is not GPGPU code. It is dedicated silicon, probably brought on by the Vista DRM infection and MS twisting arms to force it on people." amdzone
April 6, 2007 3:02:40 AM

I'm not whether or not to flame you yet, so hold up till i figure it out :wink:

As for the card, i laugh at the sound card part. They probably put it in to fill in the space left on the massive pcb we saw in the pics. :lol: 

On a serious note, R600 will probably pwn all 8)
April 6, 2007 3:08:16 AM

The integrated audio part is actually old news, I thought - but still a nice touch.
Related resources
April 6, 2007 3:14:10 AM

In other words, a gimmick to make up for lost time.
April 6, 2007 3:34:33 AM

1. This is not CPU
2. lol at them for holding back when it's already "ready".
April 6, 2007 3:36:48 AM

Quote:
In other words, a gimmick to make up for lost time.

Actually seems sort of useful to me.
April 6, 2007 3:43:36 AM

*Shrugs* Don't even notice now...

G'Night all.
April 6, 2007 3:53:43 AM

I believe it's ready when I see third party benchmarks and can buy it on Newegg - untill then....meh....
April 6, 2007 4:10:56 AM

Onboard soundcard, yeah right. Any enthusiast is not going to embrace some afterthought of a sound card on a graphics card. Especially when most enthusiasts already have good sound cards already. I doubt ATi would be stupid enough to do this.
April 6, 2007 4:28:11 AM

well with all the 680i sound issues i though its nice to have a back up with the sound.

i just about spend my r600 money a oc 8800gts 640 - now i am confused again. com on amd give us details show off some cards
April 6, 2007 11:38:58 AM

i'd like the idea of sound on the r600, because if you get a 2nd hand mobo you don't need to dig the f*ck around for the integrated audio drivers, also, that slipstreams one more part of an install, only one driver setup instead of 2, having a dedicated sound chip would be good also because if it is good enough to compete with creative ti might be worth looking at, since sound cards are a monopoly at the moment.
April 6, 2007 11:54:58 AM

Quote:
Onboard soundcard, yeah right. Any enthusiast is not going to embrace some afterthought of a sound card on a graphics card. Especially when most enthusiasts already have good sound cards already. I doubt ATi would be stupid enough to do this.

I for one think it's a very good idea. I won't use it on my gaming PC, but the R6xx just jumped into the lead for building a HTPC.
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2007 12:27:31 PM

Quote:

Problem with many of our soundcards, is Creatives crappy Vista support. But really, if sound quality and driver support are very good, combining audio and video over HDMI is a nice feature to have down the road IMO.
April 6, 2007 12:41:49 PM

I agree with others that on a gaming pc I don't see the benefit but for an HTPC it is a real benefit. Heck if they want to own the HTPC market build this card as an AIW with their new OCUR cable card support.
April 6, 2007 12:56:59 PM

Not to concerned about the sound, its the bridge chip I would like to know more about. But from the sound of things its gonna be a nice line up. Built in sound and they work with agp's. Can not wait
April 6, 2007 1:05:51 PM

Quote:

I would have to disagree here, but running the sound through hdmi with the video, you would get less interferance and would have hd sound without the need of a very high end sound card, so ati is actually saving some people a pretty nice sized pocket of pennies for new gaming rigs
A higher end stand along PCI sound card is still better for now.
April 6, 2007 1:33:39 PM

All MOBO's already have onboard sound and most enthusiast boards have very good onboard sound yet most gamers still buy dedicated audio cards. Do you really think ATI's sound would be better or more worth using than say the sound on the Stryker Extreme. I agree that having only one cable and loading only one driver will be convenient but since when do people who are seeking ultimate performance take the easy way out. The biggest use of this integrated sound will be in the low to mid end and I'm not even really sure about HTPC's because those like me with a high end Home Theater would never rely on sound from an integrated solution.
April 6, 2007 1:53:33 PM

So how do you propose we connect our HDMI cable to our speakers and our monitor?

The only real benefit here is like someone said above that it would be in a HTPC, but if ATi does what ATi we all know you aren't going to find a HDMI connection with onboard sound on a midrange gpu, it will of course be on there high end most likely. They would be smart to implement on there AIW but otherwise this plan is a total wash.

You are all getting away from onboard sound from your motherboard, there is not a very good chance that they will be able to put much better sound on there, look at the damn size of the 8800GTX, where are you supposed to put silicon on there for sound.

The best solution if they wanted to use HDMI even tho HDMI is not backed by nvidia or ATi, rather they back displayport, would be to connect the soundcard to the graphics card via some type of bridge comparable to an SLi bridge.

Regardless of whether ATi does this or not there would be no way for any current gamer to use the HDMI cable, cause they would have to either convert to a DVI or they would have no way of connecting it to the speakers. The more i think about it the more this idea seems to lose any momentum for me.
April 6, 2007 2:04:15 PM

Furthermore, an HDMI cable carries video as well as sound so does that mean you are planning to use your integrated monitor speakers to play HD-audio if not you will need to hook up your surround speakers somewhere so exactly which which monitors have outputs for multi-channel surround. I like AMD-ATI, they have tried to innovate and push the boundries over the years but adding sound will only increase the heat generated by an already too hot component, and increase the cost for a feature that many won't even use

Edit:
Quote:
So how do you propose we connect our HDMI cable to our speakers and our monitor?
IcY18 beat me to it.
April 6, 2007 2:18:36 PM

The problem with this is that the only good application I can see would be to build a HTPC, and how many people are gonna use a X2900XTX or whatever for a HTPC. They didn't need sound ont he card anyway did they? I thought with the 8 series cards coming out that have HDMI you could pass the sound to the card with a cable inside, and still achieve audio and video over HDMI. I would much rather the option to pass sound from my sound card for HDMI than be forced to have some crappy built in sound on the video card that I will never use.
April 6, 2007 2:19:45 PM

AMD wants to demo R600 with Barcelona, other wise many more upgraders will go C2D.
April 6, 2007 2:29:26 PM

Quote:
connect the soundcard to the graphics card via some type of bridge comparable to an SLi bridge.

That is really a good idea, using something like that with an AIW card and HDMI out to your reciever that would be a great direction to go for HTPC's

Edit: That just reminded me about the thread a while back about how we at THG Forums should buy AMD, not a bad idea imo.
April 6, 2007 3:31:30 PM

Quote:
That's a good point, but still, you see tons of newbs buying 8800gtxs every day, so you never know exactly at whom ati was directing this option at

I think there's an answer to that, nobody but fools. EIther this article is a crock full of garbage or AMD/ATI has to be trying out for a part as the biggest bunch of idiots that ever existed in the business world.

They said "there is no problem with the silicon. We are demonstrating it. We can ship it today". Yeah right, and they also think there's a good bridge in Brooklyn for us to buy. They are demonstrating it; to whom, where? I haven't read of one demonstartion, I haven't read one set of benchmarks from any third party reviewer. All I hear is their words of how great a card this will be. They could ship it today? Then why don't they ship it? If it was really ready to be shipped, why would they keep back a potential money maker, a product that could give them some positive cash flow which would then help their stock? If they have the card and hold onto it long enough, Nvidia will just get richer and when the R600 is finally released, Nvidia's new cards will leave it in the dust.

I think this story is nothing more then a continuation of the BS that AMD has been handing out for a months, and they hope we're suckers enough to believe it. Unless they have absolutely insane people in their executive staff, these cards either have undisclosed problems or AMD/ATI just doesn't have enough to ship. They are anything but ready. Until the cards show up in the stores and Tom's, etc are publishing benchmarks, I don't believe it at all.
April 6, 2007 6:23:35 PM

Quote:
As an official intel fan boy i like congraduate :twisted: amd for only being 4 months late while they stole the ati engineers to fix their issues. skip the r600 it is now the 700?

amd lies: "According to them(amd), however, R600 could be released today if they were so inclined" tech spot

http://www.techspot.com/news/24842-amd-says-r600-is-rea...

TS: "While there's not an official statement from AMD, according to some the final prices for R600 series based cards are now available. The prices are pretty much exactly what you'd expect, ranging from $99 at the low end for the R610, $199 at the midlevel for the R630XT and upwards of $499 for the high end models. Now we wait to see what the different vendors will be offering. Hopefully AMD will confirm these prices soon, though I wonder how they intend to intend to compete with Nvidia if not on price. Could R600 really be that stellar in terms of performance?"

http://www.techspot.com/news/24864-prices-on-r600-serie...

and free sound too! 8)

"The Inquirer reports that AMD's R600 GPU includes a built in sound card that handles HD audio and pumps it out over the HDMI connector along with the video. This means if you have a fancy TV or monitor you can get sound and video in just one cable like you can.
R600 HAS A secret weapon, an internal sound card. This is the one thing that Nvidia's G8x can't match, other than HDCP on dual-link HDMI.

The ATI sound implementation is not GPGPU code. It is dedicated silicon, probably brought on by the Vista DRM infection and MS twisting arms to force it on people." amdzone

This would be more believable if they already had a card sitting at the top of the charts... but they don't. I refuse to believe that ATI had this thing ready while the 8800 cut into their high-end market share like a hot knife through butter (cliché!)
April 7, 2007 5:03:39 AM

Point is who spends $600 bucks on a graphics card but doesn't want the latest and greatest soundcard? Thats like saying i'm gonna get a 8800GTX and pair it with 512mb of ram and single core cpu.
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2007 1:10:04 PM

Quote:
This would be more believable if they already had a card sitting at the top of the charts... but they don't. I refuse to believe that ATI had this thing ready while the 8800 cut into their high-end market share like a hot knife through butter (cliché!)

The thing you have to remember is while enthusiasts know the G80 currently rules, that is still a small part of the market. It's more of a bragging rights/reputation thing that hurts them more than the financial sales loss to G80. And to be honest, possibly a good 50% of that elite small percentage of card owners, will dump their G80 and grab a R600 if it greatly outperfoms their G80, the same way they dropped their X1900XTX's and grabed an 8800GTX. Sure, ATI lost some high end customers to NV not having G80 competition. But they also still have a chance of grabbing many of them back again if they have a stellar product to offer. I think while possible they could launch R600, they can't launch a complete line and wouldn't have sufficeint stock to fill demand. So while they possibly could launch, it would be a bad move and they know it.
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2007 2:05:46 PM

Tell me if Im wrong, but doesnt Vista only allow analog out? no spidf? And the chip on the 600 is only a hdcp chip, meaning that it decodes for drm reasons the audio signal? Therefore letting it come out digital? If this is so, all those Vista users will be happy. And Im sure theyll be hardware workarounds using that signal
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2007 2:32:26 PM

ROFLMAO

"we cant beat Intel or Nvidia so we'll JUST ADD INTEGRATED SOUND" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 7, 2007 3:46:58 PM

Quote:

I would have to disagree here, but running the sound through hdmi with the video, you would get less interferance and would have hd sound without the need of a very high end sound card, so ati is actually saving some people a pretty nice sized pocket of pennies for new gaming rigs
A higher end stand along PCI sound card is still better for now.

I'm just wondering if this is part of AMD's strategy to redescribe what a PC is...their new platform. Trying to do away with PCI perhaps? I mean honestly, why do we need PCI and PCI-E if you can combine and minimize? It seems like a good idea to me as well. An "all in one" system that can do anything that is 1/3rd of the size of a full ATX computer? Who DOESN'T want that? Except maybe those guys (ahem) who get their ego's from what they own...
April 7, 2007 4:59:33 PM

Maybe it would lower their costs, but I dont think so. This is a gimmick of the 5th order. Why in the world would you want integrated audio on your video card? What if something wonks out on the audio? Oops! Now you have NO audio and a worthless $500 video card! Congrats! Combining components for computers does two things: scales them down and makes them harder to fix. If your sound goes out and you have a HTPC, what are you going to do with your HDMI ($100+ cable)?
Let's see:
$500 video/sound card
$100+ HDMI cable
$300-$13000 HDMI receiver(or a TV, take your pick)

All this added expense for what? Just so that when my audio goes tits-up, that I have to buy a WHOLE NEW VIDEO CARD just to make my HDMI work? That's GENIUS!!!!! :roll: :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Just sell me a $400 video card and a $100 audio card. If either of them go out, it's only the one component. There's not a performance gain to be seen from this as long as you are comparing dedicated audio processors and not shared-load sound like on the integrated chipsets.
Anyway, why do you want your computer smaller? Everyone knows that the size of your case is the same size as your ****... oh, sorry, that's not true :lol:  :oops:  .
April 7, 2007 5:51:55 PM

Quote:

The thing you have to remember is while enthusiasts know the G80 currently rules, that is still a small part of the market. It's more of a bragging rights/reputation thing that hurts them more than the financial sales loss to G80. And to be honest, possibly a good 50% of that elite small percentage of card owners, will dump their G80 and grab a R600 if it greatly outperfoms their G80, the same way they dropped their X1900XTX's and grabed an 8800GTX. Sure, ATI lost some high end customers to NV not having G80 competition. But they also still have a chance of grabbing many of them back again if they have a stellar product to offer. I think while possible they could launch R600, they can't launch a complete line and wouldn't have sufficeint stock to fill demand. So while they possibly could launch, it would be a bad move and they know it.

While reading through this, a thought crossed my mind that might have been mentioned elsewhere and I missed it. I wonder if the reason that AMD has help off with the R600 is because they are developing a new motherboard to go with the R600, perhaps to implement Crossfire better, and their real plan is to introduce the new motherboard and the R600 together for better sales/performance. It could make a nice package that way.
April 7, 2007 5:53:06 PM

Last time I checked, projectors dont have integrated 7.1 speakers.
On the price... I was just trying to show what hardware you'd have to have to make all that work. The CPU, mobo, and the rest are universal for the sake of argument because either way, you have to buy those...
I could be wrong, but the HDMI carries both sound and video, right? So if you plug it into your TV or projector, you still have to run the sound out to your receiver to decode the sound and amplify it to 8 or 30 speakers or whatever IF you want true surround sound. The reason I say this is that the last time that I checked (could be wrong, here, too...), no TV or projector has built-in surround speakers... well, not TRUE satelite surround speakers, anyway....
Oh yeah... and where do they hide the subwoofer in that plasma????
April 7, 2007 6:14:56 PM

Quote:
But I'm just wondering, who would be stupid enough to buy the fastest/second fastest and one of the most expensive gfx cards on the market for a home theater build 8O Most people use 7600gts at best because that's all they need, or the cheapest hdcp enabled card they can find

People who either have lots of money or want the very best card they can find. It doesn't make any difference if they need it or not. Its there, so they buy it. No wait, that may also descibe a lot of people who buy the most expensive card they can find so they can play the Sims or video poker.
April 7, 2007 6:15:52 PM

Dont know... good question. AMD is just throwing out grenades and hoping one of them lands near the right spot.
I think that with more people pushing 1080p, that they might start looking at bleeding-edge graphics from their HTPC's, but most of them dont game with these things, they surf the web on their 60" plasma or something. I know people like this and they dont use their HTPC for anything other than what a PC is known for: email, surfing the internet, watching pixelated movies on a huge screen, etc. When it's time to game, they bring out the PS3 or the 360 and game in what they call "HD" not knowing that the resolutions on my monitor are twice that of theirs.
Makes me cringe to think that people actually pay $4000 for a media center PC just to have it be a $1500 off-the-shelf model with a nice case and what's-barely-enough parts...
April 7, 2007 6:24:59 PM

Yeah, I remember that, though too this day I wonder if it was just someone making a strange joke about how much money could be spent for so little value.
April 7, 2007 6:34:55 PM

There are some things I would never brag about, especially when they point out how I did something particularly foolish.
April 7, 2007 6:55:12 PM

Knowledge is only a part of it. I also have the wisdom to research something when I don't have the knowledge. That's the other half of a brain, knowing when you don't know. It may not keep me from making a mistake now and then, but at least they will be well informed mistakes, that is, I know not only what I did, but why I did it.
April 7, 2007 6:59:19 PM

<dj_jumbles bows low>
Well said, oh wise one.... :idea:
April 7, 2007 7:00:40 PM

Quote:

are you dumb?
the sound card is not for acelerating or gaming..
its a sound card for digital DRM protected HDMI interface.. IE VISTA REQUIREMENT for playback HDvideo (HDVD and Blueray)

dammit, wish I could have saved that nice website wich had the information of WHY ATI tossed that feacture inside..

*edit*
btw, I remember watching said article that did show a photo of the chip...
the sound device in the R600 is from REALTEK.
April 7, 2007 7:15:02 PM

Quote:
Well in that case master yoda, what do you think of my idea of getting these scsi drives+required hardware instead of getting a single small raptor
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-SCSI-Wide-68-Pin-Terminator-Sc...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Adaptec-AHA-2940U2W-PCI-68pin-50pin...
http://cgi.ebay.com/73GB-Fujitsu-Limited-MAS-Series-15k...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-ST336754LW-36gb-68PIN-SCSI-...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-ST336754LW-36gb-68PIN-SCSI-...
That stuff leaves me with 130gb of storage for the os and everything else I could want, or I could do raid 0/1 on the smaller two drives for either more speed or stability on the os and still have 73gb for everything else, and it would be cheap too if I manage to get the right hardware :) 

First of all, he who buys electronics off of E-bay deserves to loose his money. If by chance he does get what he paid for, he should gives thanks for the blessing that he, as a fool, received without deserving it.

Second, if a person has more money than they know what to do with, then a high performance SCSI drive(s) with all the associated hardware is just as good a place to waste his money as Monte Carlo.

Third, the rich person from observation number two should give me a rich Traveler's cheque for the wisdom I just imparted. The check should be large enough that I could buy a new machine from FNW with all the goodies.

Thank you, next customer?
April 7, 2007 7:15:36 PM

Quote:
The guy admitted to buying it, because he was bragging about how he beat lh2 (or maybe it was fear) with all high details @ an amazing 800*600

That was great for sure. :lol: 
April 7, 2007 7:34:42 PM

Quote:
Thing is, proof has done what I'm planning on without any problems and I've bought some hardware from ebay before (though no computer internals, just things like routers and the such); since I don't have the money to buy a raptor, and I hate my hdd bottleneck, I'm thinking why not ebay it, or at least just get the 73gb hdd for the os and games/apps, then I can grab a huge seagate from the egg for everything else

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be serious. Actually, of what you list, I'd look first to the Fujitsu drive, followed by either Seagate as they are about identical. No wait, the Seagates appear to be the same drive, just listed twice. In my opinion, the Adaptec controller would go well with it, but I admit not being an expert in this and defer to anyone who is.

If going to E-bay, I'd first look for a Raptor, but the SCSI drives may actually be cheaper because fewer people look in that direction for fast drives. As you mention having a huge Seagate for a second drive, then the Fujitsu becomes even better. I wouldn't bother with the 36 gig drives because they would fill up fast, especially if you're planning to upgrade to Vista in the future.
April 7, 2007 7:36:20 PM

Quote:
Definitely

Is it just me, or has the blog been moving very slowly lately?

Its not just you. I'm getting a very slow movement too.
April 7, 2007 7:41:59 PM

Quote:
Definitely

Is it just me, or has the blog been moving very slowly lately?

It's very slow...
April 7, 2007 8:08:24 PM

Quote:

I for one think it's a very good idea. I won't use it on my gaming PC, but the R6xx just jumped into the lead for building a HTPC.

bingo.
April 7, 2007 8:24:37 PM

if you have an upgrade coupon for Vista, read it closely. I had one too, but there was a limiting date on it, so I had to either use it or loose it. I mailed in for the upgrade last Monday. My upgrade was for business Vista, but I've heard that can be upgraded to Ultra for only $50-60. If so, I'll do that when I install it.
April 7, 2007 8:32:10 PM

Quote:
Dang it, it just expired on the 31th of march, oh well, I wasn't planning on using it anyways unless if I had to, I don't care for vista much because I don't have a dx10 card to really take advantage of it's features

You can try to sneak it in. Mine also expired on March 31, but they accepted it on Apr 2. Even if you don't plan to use Vista right away, if you have the program sitting there, you can install it later, download all the updates, and then it will be as current as the newest version on the shelf.
April 7, 2007 8:41:42 PM

Quote:
Man, looky what I found on an x6800 newegg review

I Recently Upgraded from this to the AMD Quad FX platform. I tried for a little while to sell it and my modded Asus mobo, but no one would take it so I figured, what the heck, lets see what it's made of. So I rigged up a system, and got everything going, time to over clock where no CPU has gone Before. Since my mobo is modded to allow limitless overclocking possibilities, I went ahead and pushed it all the way to 10ghz. It ran fine for about ten minutes before things started to fry and melt and eventually explode. If you have the means to do so, it'll do almost anything you could ever want it to

I don't know if that person was just stupid, lying, joking, or really some how managed to melt his mobo 8O :lol: 

As soon as he said he pushed the cpu to 10 ghz, I knew something was not right. Even with NOX, I don't know of any cpu that can do 10 ghz, much less do it for 10 minutes. Ok, maybe some lab has done it for an short speed run, but not that I've read.
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2007 10:00:56 PM

Quote:
This is a gimmick of the 5th order.

No that would be talking about GPGPU to the gaming market like both companies do. That's a gimmick, putting Audio over HDMI on SOME cards, is no more a gimmick than those that lead up to it: Video out, VIVO, Dual-Link, HDCP. It's just another option peopl come to expect when building a PC with HD-DVD and BR systems in mind. Look at how many people get their panties in a bunch about no HDCP or no VIVO. Remember this is an OPTIONAL feature, but supported on all cards. But this is not a feature supportable on any current or proposed nV solution, so it's another tickbox feature, but similar to so many before it.

Quote:
Why in the world would you want integrated audio on your video card?

Because Vista requires it for their content DRM strategy. DRM sucks, but with the knowledge it's being forced on people, if you don't have to pay more for it you buy the HDCP compliant card, not the one that doesn't have support. Also with no foothold for creative in Vista, it's as good a time as any to start.

Quote:
What if something wonks out on the audio? Oops! Now you have NO audio and a worthless $500 video card! Congrats!

WTF are you talking about!?!
When the audio on your MoBo goes does that mean everything else is dead too? You simply switch to another solution, you lose that feature, but it's not as bad as you ram frying or fan dieing without noticing, that kills everything, losing audio wouldn't make the card worthless, just disable that one feature. It'd be like the HDCP crypto chip going.
Only a catastrophic failure would do that, and that could happend from a resistor or mosfet just as easily. Seriously use your head. :roll:

Quote:
Combining components for computers does two things: scales them down and makes them harder to fix.

What like a video card or audigy card on their own is easy to fix? Seriously have you ever worked with PCBs? It's rare that something is 'fixed' that wasn't a minor issue, more often than not they toss stuff that would be now 'too complicated to fix'. Because whether it's on a stand alone card or integrated it's not worth the man hours.

Quote:
All this added expense for what? Just so that when my audio goes tits-up, that I have to buy a WHOLE NEW VIDEO CARD just to make my HDMI work? That's GENIUS!!!!!

You're just being st00pid!
HDMI doesn't require the audio to work, the video will still work even if the audio dies. So just like if you a bent pin in one of the outputs, you'd have to figure out another solution until you get a new card.

Quote:
Just sell me a $400 video card and a $100 audio card.

Actually it's still be a $499 video card, and so you're spending more money on the audio card anyways, and you haven't gained anything from your 2 part solution. The $499 is set by marketing, not cost alone. The addition of the Realtek chip is likely in the low single digit dollar range per card. So you couldn't buy the equivalent for anywhere near the same money on your own, and without it integrated you just couldn't achieve the same thing period.

Quote:
There's not a performance gain to be seen from this as long as you are comparing dedicated audio processors and not shared-load sound like on the integrated chipsets.

What are you talking about, it's a dedicated chip, the same as if it were on a Karajan module or integrated into the Graphics board.

Quote:
I think that with more people pushing 1080p, that they might start looking at bleeding-edge graphics from their HTPC's, but most of them dont game with these things,

More and more are, because they realize they can. I know many people in this forum, and many people from work who do just that. I use the Xbox on our Plasma at work, and I also have show people FartCry and Oblivion on it from my laptop. Now more and more people are realizing they can plug that new Plasma, LCD, DLP into their Computer and voila, big screen gaming. Not that uncommon compared to when it was an S-video/composite experience/experiment.

Quote:
I know people like this and they dont use their HTPC for anything other than what a PC is known for: email, surfing the internet, watching pixelated movies on a huge screen, etc.

Yeah and I know people who 'game' on integrated graphics, doesn't mean they are the model to follow, the people you know are just as st00pid, no need for us to be either, nor be restricted to their standards.

Seriously your argument about 2 components being better than one makes me think you'd prefer to return to the days when we had a 2D card and a 3D card. :roll:

Your comments about the addition of audio as a benefit, would apply just the same to the G80 having DX10 as a benefit. It's usely right now, why add it for the extra transistors? But I doubt even you are that myopic to see the benefits.

Only a luddite would gripe at being given more options. That you don't know what to do with them, let alone obviously how it works, doesn't mean other people should be forced to pay the price for your ignorance. Seriously folow your friends, get an Xbox, and leave the PC hardware to those who can make use of it. :idea:
April 7, 2007 11:55:34 PM

You know i've been reading these ati/amd r600 threads for awhile now, mostly they're just filled with unentertaining guesses about said product. Anyone else just about sick and tired of nothing happening? I want real benchmarks! Real unblurred pictures! This speculation crap is boring as hell.
!