AMD RD790 gets ready to launch

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
AMDs new HT3-based chipset has just received PCI-SIG approval, according to sources. This chipset is assumed to be the new QFX chipset while it will also support PCIe 2.0 and GPU Physics.

This is actually good news as they can now test a certified chipset with R600 and Barcelona/Agena.

It doesn't say if it's compatible with Barcelona though so I guess Barcelona may be HT1.0 after all.

At any rate, 790 is up and running and ready to be released.

Linkage!

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Interesting, AMD seems to be lacking in the CPU and GPU updates and Innovation. But their Chipsets are kicking ass. The RD690 and RD790 ,R600 based Chipsets are coming out in full force. Only if AMD could show this kind of Enthusiasm in CPU and GPU releases and Annual architecture Restructuring, For Example Intel and their yearly Core Releases Conroe>Penryn>Nehalem

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Interesting, AMD seems to be lacking in the CPU and GPU updates and Innovation. But their Chipsets are kicking ass. The RD690 and RD790 ,R600 based Chipsets are coming out in full force. Only if AMD could show this kind of Enthusiasm in CPU and GPU releases and Annual architecture Restructuring, For Example Intel and their yearly Core Releases Conroe>Penryn>Nehalem

Those are coming soon enough and they are planning to do a server shrink in 2008 for Shanghai and Montreal which will be like C2Q, two dies on one package.

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006

AMD has this kind of enthusiasm, but the problem lies in the fact that Intel has a lot more R&D than AMD, so they can afford annual architecture restructuring.

AMDs new HT3-based chipset has just received PCI-SIG approval, according to sources. This chipset is assumed to be the new QFX chipset while it will also support PCIe 2.0 and GPU Physics.

This is actually good news as they can now test a certified chipset with R600 and Barcelona/Agena.

It doesn't say if it's compatible with Barcelona though so I guess Barcelona may be HT1.0 after all.

Linkage!
Interesting, so one of the QuadFX Achilles Heels gets rectified.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Linkage!

I would hope so. At least it's a single chip @ 65nm. That should mean it will be cool. It also only supports 3x PCIe 2.0 x16 and not as many USB or SATA ports.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Linkage!

I would hope so. At least it's a single chip @ 65nm. That should mean it will be cool. It also only supports 3x PCIe 2.0 x16 and not as many USB or SATA ports.

Only supports? That's quite a monster already.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
to me the interesting bit about the 790 is that its 65nm, it would appear AMD originally wanted to bring there entire new product range out on 65nm, from chipsets-GPU-CPU, which coincides with AMDs shifting business plan to match more of an Intel style plan. But it seems media, consumer, channel, partner pressure is forcing them to release R600 on 80nm to spoil there 65nm madness sale.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
to me the interesting bit about the 790 is that its 65nm, it would appear AMD originally wanted to bring there entire new product range out on 65nm, from chipsets-GPU-CPU, which coincides with AMDs shifting business plan to match more of an Intel style plan. But it seems media, consumer, channel, partner pressure is forcing them to release R600 on 80nm to spoil there 65nm madness sale.

Actually I think Intel is still using 130nm and/or 90nm for its chipsets.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

i was more or less referring to dropping a complete change over bomb much like Intel does with new process changes on CPUs. But of course thats just my assumption but i base it off AMD not designing a true 8 core chip and taking the Intel approach of slapping two quad-cores on a die as previously reported.

so take it with a grain a salt

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

i was more or less referring to dropping a complete change over bomb much like Intel does with new process changes on CPUs. But of course thats just my assumption but i base it off AMD not designing a true 8 core chip and taking the Intel approach of slapping two quad-cores on a die as previously reported.

Gotcha. I do think most/all R600 variants are going to be 65nm, though, aren't they?

The MCP approach is just more economical. I don't want to say ignoring it has been silly of them, but it's a cheap way to get a quad-core out the door quickly. It will also be a cheap way to get eight cores out of the way before a new architecture.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
in there current financial state its the best route to go to recoup lost money.

Its been reported that R600 was delayed for a 65nm shrink, because it was leaking like mad, but a few reports have came saying the GDDR3 variant will be first one to launch at 80nm. But right now its all hear-say until the 16th or 26th I forget which day it is for the R600 family launch party.

I for one am hoping for a 65nm R600 at 170w -vs- the 240w at 80nm.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Its been reported that R600 was delayed for a 65nm shrink, because it was leaking like mad, but a few reports have came saying the GDDR3 variant will be first one to launch at 80nm. But right now its all hear-say until the 16th or 26th I forget which day it is for the R600 family launch party.

I doubt the power reduction will even be that good...

GDDR4 @ 65nm should be nice, though.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Gotcha. I do think most/all R600 variants are going to be 65nm, though, aren't they?

The MCP approach is just more economical. I don't want to say ignoring it has been silly of them, but it's a cheap way to get a quad-core out the door quickly. It will also be a cheap way to get eight cores out of the way before a new architecture.

Yeah, it is interesting that they didn't do that for QFX. It might have taken longer but it wouldn't be suffering from NUMA problems with single threaded apps.

But again AMD can't just make new chips the way Intel does. If they decide to use Shanghai it's because they know it will take til 08 to get the MCM package setup for HT3.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
IIRC, AMD has always had less power hungry chipsets than Intel, but this may well be the fault of the Northbridge. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are cor-rect. Also doesn't help when nVidia slaps two Northbridge's together to get more PCI-E lanes.

tis a shame ATi chipsets never caught on, from what I read the DFI 3200 mobo/chipset was able to trump nV 4series in the overclocking arena back in its prime (2005?)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

From what I heard there are two different models of R600, a 12 inch GDDR3 model at 80nm that is OEM only and the smaller 9 inch version with GDDR4 at 65nm.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

From what I heard there are two different models of R600, a 12 inch GDDR3 model at 80nm that is OEM only and the smaller 9 inch version with GDDR4 at 65nm.

thats where all the confusion is at, what I understand is and this is before the whole "its gonna be 65nm, wait there doing 80nm GDDR3 first" stuff came out:
- OEM design is 12in regardless of chip size
- partner/base design is 9.5in
- 2 GDDR4 variants, i think theres only 1 GDDR3 but there may be 2

Since the new reports came out PCB size hasn't changed, just the chip size is the only question still remaining.

EDIT:
Also with the "supposed' die shrink not only is power consumption estimated to drop to 170w-180w, but its also supposedly able to scale to 1ghz core clock. So those early benchmarks we've seen might be 80nm chip which would confirm an 80nm GDDR3 being the first R600 chip released.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
So people who buy Dell and HP systems would be able to swap out their card almost immediately for a more powerful card that consumes less power?

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
So people who buy Dell and HP systems would be able to swap out their card almost immediately for a more powerful card that consumes less power?

really depends on the timeline and when a 65nm GDDR4 part comes out, but yea pretty much

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

thats where all the confusion is at, what I understand is and this is before the whole "its gonna be 65nm, wait there doing 80nm GDDR3 first" stuff came out:
- OEM design is 12in regardless of chip size
- partner/base design is 9.5in
- 2 GDDR4 variants, i think theres only 1 GDDR3 but there may be 2

Since the new reports came out PCB size hasn't changed, just the chip size is the only question still remaining.

EDIT:
Also with the "supposed' die shrink not only is power consumption estimated to drop to 170w-180w, but its also supposedly able to scale to 1ghz core clock. So those early benchmarks we've seen might be 80nm chip which would confirm an 80nm GDDR3 being the first R600 chip released.

Yeah, bu tthe most reliable source I read about said that the reason fo rthe delay was to have ALL of the cards ready, so I assume that means the OEM and retail R600s.

We'll find out supposedly on the 22nd.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
thats what i say... not like i'm gonna buy a first model anyways, i will wait for the GDDR4 65nm part personally, x1900 is plenty enough for now

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Yep.... ready to launch

531472_93249978.jpg

The problem with making jokes about people is that you have to take a chance on not ending up with your foot in your mouth.

Have you ever noticed that I don't entertain people with "Google Images?"

I wonder why?