Sign in with
Your question

Help Please -- Trying to make computer run Oblivion

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2007 2:06:24 PM

Hey guys, me again. I've got a Compaq Presario here, it's my brother's now... it was my Gaming computer back in 2004 (fall-winter) and spring 2005 before I left for the Navy. When I was discharged I traded it to my parents for a car.

At any rate, this is what it has in it:

RAM: DDR PC-3200 @ 200 MHz//DDR PC-2700 @ 166 MHz

CPU: AMD Athlon XP (2.2 Gig, 3200+) 128 KB L1 512KB L2

GPU: ATI Radeon 9200 Series (128 MB)

HDD: Samsung SP1604N 160 GB ATA

M/B: ASUS Kelut 2.02

I guess my question... is if it would be possible to get Oblivion to run on this... if I bought a new AGP 8x video card (no pci-e on this baby) or if it would even be worth it.

Thoughts and comments please (=
April 6, 2007 2:09:00 PM

Possible? I doubt it. Use it for a web browser and work on the good machine to play games with.
April 6, 2007 2:12:50 PM

Hmm so would the processor be the biggest problem? or the lack of a pci-e video card?

Thanks
Related resources
April 6, 2007 2:17:20 PM

Quote:
Processor.

There are AGP cards that can run Oblivion a decent frame rates.

Sorry to keep asking, but I'm curious... if I was to buy a newer processor that fit into that board... do you think that would help? I'm not even sure what the max I could get into it would be...

Either that... or do you think it'd be possible to overclock it?

At this point I understand that I'd be better off getting a new computer, I just want to know for my own personal... knowledge I guess.
April 6, 2007 2:25:06 PM

Oblivion is a very intense game, graphic wise. Depending on what you call decent, you could get a CPU and card and play. What is the Socket on the MB? Look at the GPU chart for cards that will run the game, I hear you need 30 FPS to enjoy the game, a x1900 goes 24 FPS, and I think that is the best AGP card.
April 6, 2007 2:26:47 PM

well it all depends on ur budget as you can make an entirely decent rig like i did for 650 dollars. but you can start by finding out what socket the processor is on. use cpu-z id.
April 6, 2007 2:27:26 PM

Quote:
Oblivion is a very intense game, graphic wise. Depending on what you call decent, you could get a CPU and card and play. What is the Socket on the MB? Look at the GPU chart for cards that will run the game, I hear you need 30 FPS to enjoy the game, a x1900 goes 24 FPS, and I think that is the best AGP card.

Well, it's it's socket A from what I read... or to be exact it said: "462 Socket A"

Donno if that helps?
April 6, 2007 2:46:02 PM

Was that in reference to the patch that allowed pre-dx9 video cards to play the game?

As far as the requirements go... 512 ram 128 video... the computer has that.

And also, upon doing more research, I found out (at least from one site's opinion) that the Athlon 3200+ (barton) 2.2 ghz is the fastest socket A processor I'd be able to get... and as it turns out... that's the one that's already in there... So I guess my only option CPU-wise would be overclocking... but I don't know much about that.

Anyone know how or if it's even possible to overclock that processor with the motherboard I currently have?

Thanks again for all the replies I've got so far. And thanks for continuing to humor me by answering my questions :D 
April 6, 2007 3:03:31 PM

you cannot OC a factory made computer. Why don't you try selling your CPU/RAM on ebay for some decent cash. Save up and buy a new AMD system. You'll need a CPU/RAM/MOBO/GFX card

CPU= X2 3600+ at$ 65+$25 heatsink
RAM=1GB DDR667 at $75
Mobo=$50 with PCIE
GFX=7600GT-7950GT $100-180
PSU=$40
April 6, 2007 3:07:58 PM

well i mean oblivion will slideshow at 512mb and 128mb vid card. it brings down everything not high end. if ur only wanting it to play oblivion you can get an xbox 360 core system for like 300 dollars. obviously it'll probably not be worth it unless u got a high def tv but if all you really wanna do is play oblivion, the xbox 360 is the easiest way to go unless u wanna build another rig. if so we can help you there too.
April 6, 2007 3:13:54 PM

Try this: http://www.oldblivion.com/

It uses different shaders, so it allows you to play the game with an older graphics card. Just look around their forum for documentation that tells you which version of Oldblivion to use for your video card.

I ran the game fine with an AMD Athlon 2200+ (much slower than your CPU) with a 128 mb Geforce FX 5200 video card. I believe I used it on my other computer with the same CPU and a 128mb ATI Radeon 9200, as well.

Good luck.

***Edit*** FYI: I have 1GB of RAM on both machines. There is certainly a big difference, if you only have 512mb RAM. In that case, look around for another 512mb stick of RAM for your motherboard, or if you don't have enough slots open, then you'll have to purchase a 1gb stick or two 512mb sticks. Most importantly, make sure you get compatible RAM for your motherboard. If you search Newegg.com, I am sure you can find a 1gb stick or two 512mb sticks for around 70 USD.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2007 3:26:15 PM

It's going to be kind of tough to get a great Oblivian experience on that system, but if you must, you must. A better video card like a 7600 or even a X1950Pro would go a lot farther getting Oblivian to be playable than any other single thing you do to the current system. And I am afraid that is all you are going to get, just playable with everything turned down.

To me the whole video experience is a huge part of playing a game like Oblivian. If you can't turn up the eye candy, I just don't enjoy the gameplay.

Only problem is, if you spend the money and you are not satisfied, now you have a brand new AGP card, and you won't need it for your new PCIe based system you are going to end up building.
April 6, 2007 3:38:48 PM

If you want to run Oblivion, you have one thing to do....

That thing is to change your Radeon 9200 VPU that is only Dx8.1 compliant and replace it with a Dx9.0 card. Anyone would do, but for good performances AND good looking graphics, you should get a VPU at 150+$. Anything below would be in the X1300 range and will run it but very slowly and without effects on.

This is because Oblivion is one of the first game that doesn't have a Dx8.0 fall-back path for the graphic. So unless your graphic card is Dx9.0 or better, you simply can't run it. It's tough, but that's the only way we'll get to have better looking games. As soon as game developpers see that there is a large enough base of Dx9.0 VPU user, they simply remove this fall-back code from there game. It make there engine more efficient and coding this much easyer.

Your CPU should be sufficient tough.

One last thing, make sure you have 1GB memory. 512MB will run but much slower for lack of memory, and 256MB probably won't even install.

Good luck.

EDIT: Cool, it's my 400th post. So I'm now officially an addict. Look at my face on the side, don't I look like one :?: :wink:
April 6, 2007 3:48:26 PM

Quote:
Processor.

There are AGP cards that can run Oblivion a decent frame rates.

That isn't true Prozac. I agree he won't run it at 100+ fps, but that isn,t the point from what I saw. With a x1650Pro on AGP, he'll be able to get decent frame rate up to 1280*960 as long as he doesn't put everything on. There is so much info available on what to disable, that he'll easily find some compromises that make the game fasdt enough yet still gorgeous looking.

A few ones being: 1-reducing the drawing distance a notch and, 2-no AA but keep HDR (best compromise I think) ot go with Bloom, altough this is a big compromise I think. There is much more, but my break is now over.

I'll try to get back tonight.
April 6, 2007 4:03:01 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice !!

I just want to clarify a few things:

1. I don't care about it being "pretty" I've played the series since Daggerfall.

2. I can't afford a 'new' rig right now, so I'm looking at my other available options.

3. I do have 1024 mb DDR RAM and could easily (and cheaply) upgrade to 2gb if needbe (even though it sounds like the main bottleneck will be the gpu)

That being said... I've found this Graphics Card and from what I've read and been told and learned about shaders etc... this one has what I need to run Oblivion.

I took that test thing on the gamespot site, and the only thing not above recommended was the video card.

So... just wondering what you guys think of that idea, putting that radeon x800 in the computer, just so I'd be able to play. I'm not looking for super high frame rates or even anything above low settings. I don't want the game to be a "slide show" though as one guy put it. The resolution I'd be using in game would be 1280x1024 as that's the largest my monitor will go.

Do you think this would work?
April 6, 2007 4:27:49 PM

I played oblivion for 50+ hours on a 2.2Ghz barton, and a sapphire radeon 9800pro with 2gbs of ram.

In 640*480 resolution, medium textures, everything else medium-low except view distance which was MAX, WITH distance buildings.

I am quite picky about framerate, must have 50+! (especially in fights.)

I could run it in 1024*768 with 30 fps though (eww)

The X800gto is a good card (my friend has the pci-e version) not sure about running in 1280*1024, but it should be fine in for 1024*768.

My brother played the oldblivion mod for oblivion on his geforce ti 4200 :p  (slow, buggy graphics) and the framerate wasnt too great, lol
April 6, 2007 4:29:55 PM

For a few hundred dollars you could upgrade the ram and get a x1950pro AGP or 7800GS agp, and I guarantee you it will run Oblivion with decent framerates but not at the prettiest.

However, for a few hundred more you could build an entirely new system to get more longevity out of it.

You can make of that what you want, but get more memory and one of the top AGP cards and it will work. An XP3200+ is not the fastest processor but it's not your biggest problem. It is still an ok processor, pair it with a better vc and ram and you'll be fine for a little while longer.
The question to ask yourself is if you want to band-aid something for at best another year (with the provision that you will have to increasingly lower your options for game "prettyness").
Or rip off the bandaid now and start over with a platform with more headroom.
April 6, 2007 4:47:32 PM

Quote:
I played oblivion for 50+ hours on a 2.2Ghz barton, and a sapphire radeon 9800pro with 2gbs of ram.

In 640*480 resolution, medium textures, everything else medium-low except view distance which was MAX, WITH distance buildings.

I am quite picky about framerate, must have 50+! (especially in fights.)

I could run it in 1024*768 with 30 fps though (eww)

The X800gto is a good card (my friend has the pci-e version) not sure about running in 1280*1024, but it should be fine in for 1024*768.

My brother played the oldblivion mod for oblivion on his geforce ti 4200 :p  (slow, buggy graphics) and the framerate wasnt too great, lol

Something like this is what I wanted to hear.

I'm not worried about the fact that this is a temporary solution, and I don't have a huge love for "prettiness" in games. The resolution isn't even a huge deal to me. I just want to play it.

As far as a couple hundred dollars here/there etc etc... I can't afford more than the cost of the video card and the cost of Oblivion itself... hence the reason I'm exploring this option. So if i can get out of it for around 150$ and maybe even add some ram... I'd be happy.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, I think I'm going to look around for a radeon x800 gto and maybe an extra gb of ram.
April 6, 2007 4:49:32 PM

Go for it.
April 6, 2007 5:01:37 PM

Quote:
I traded it to my parents for a car.

You traded that POS for a car? What kind of car was it?
April 6, 2007 5:04:08 PM

Quote:
I traded it to my parents for a car.

You traded that POS for a car? What kind of car was it?

92 Cavalier 4 door 4 cyl

The car is still running today, sold it to the neighbor up the road because didn't want to invest time in fixing it up.

Bought a 2001 Grand Am SE 4 door 4 cyl for 3900 and sold it 7 months later for 4800.

I've got a 91 geo prizm 5 speed now ^_^ paid 600$ for it.

EDIT:

Quote:
I guess the problem I had with Oblivion is that I just couldnt get into it and if it wasnt for the Pretty graphics I probably would have never played it at all.

I recently completed the game and It just felt like work rather than play every time I fired it up.

Anyone want a free copy of Oblivion? Laughing

Yes please !! Save me some $$ ^_^
April 6, 2007 5:11:32 PM

Quote:

Yes please !! Save me some $$ ^_^

I was kidding :twisted:

I figured as much :p 
April 6, 2007 5:27:47 PM

whats your rig look like?
April 6, 2007 5:32:34 PM

Hey, look at this: AGP Analysis That page is from the somewhat recent AGP analysis done by Tom's. The page I have linked to is the results for an Athlon XP 2500+ on Oblivion. Since you have a 3200+, you should do at least slightly better. Notice that the settings are on high, so if you were to turn them down slightly, perhaps you could reach higher framerates.

Just FYI: the 9200 that you currently have is MUCH worse than the 9700 they have on those charts for reference.
April 6, 2007 6:04:54 PM

Quote:

yo i got a 91 toyota corolla 5 speed. Are cars look that same but mine is better cause its a toyota. Man my car just keeps putting away. Power to are shit beeters! (my pc is worth more then my car :-x)
April 6, 2007 6:05:30 PM

Quote:
whats your rig look like?

It's a Compaq Presario SR1230NX and this is what it looks like:

The changes I've made from stock are that I added 512 RAM (Bringing it to 1024) and I've added a Radeon 9200 AGP8x video card to it.

Quote:
Hey, look at this: AGP Analysis That page is from the somewhat recent AGP analysis done by Tom's. The page I have linked to is the results for an Athlon XP 2500+ on Oblivion. Since you have a 3200+, you should do at least slightly better. Notice that the settings are on high, so if you were to turn them down slightly, perhaps you could reach higher framerates.

Just FYI: the 9200 that you currently have is MUCH worse than the 9700 they have on those charts for reference.

Cool, thanks for that. So if I put all setting on mid-low and went with the smaller resolution that guy mentioned... I should hit the 50 frame rate he was talking about...

Quote:

yo i got a 91 toyota corolla 5 speed. Are cars look that same but mine is better cause its a toyota. Man my car just keeps putting away. Power to are **** beeters! (my pc is worth more then my car :-x)

Hahaha hell yes, Toyota > Geo for sure. ^_^

My laptop was 1298.36 Brand new in the summer of '05 and came with a digital camera and printer/scanner/copier (Father's day deal at radio shack)... so I could almost get two of the car I have (at what I payed) for what I paid for this new.

Sad thing is... for 8-900 I could build a nice rig to play all the games I want and have 300+ left over to buy whatever (based on what I paid for my laptop)... I think about all these things, and it makes me laugh.
April 6, 2007 6:19:45 PM

My rig will run Oblivion at around 50 fps with EVERYTHING on. Oblivion will annihilate your rig.
April 6, 2007 6:24:14 PM

Quote:
My rig will run Oblivion at around 50 fps with EVERYTHING on. Oblivion will annihilate your rig.

I know, but that's not the point.

If I can buy a new video card and maybe an extra gig of memory and get the game to work... I'll be happy. I don't need "EVERYTHING" on.
April 6, 2007 6:30:03 PM

Yeah, a 7900 and another gig will let you run oblivion.
April 6, 2007 6:32:15 PM

Quote:

So the Gforce not the radeon?

Is there a noticeable difference in performance do you think?

I'm looking for lowest cost possible mostly.
April 6, 2007 6:33:01 PM

oh, the Radeon will work fine. I am just partial to nVIDIA.
April 6, 2007 6:33:38 PM

Quote:
oh, the Radeon will work fine. I am just partial to nVIDIA.

Good to know. Thanks for the advice.
April 6, 2007 6:34:37 PM

No problem. 8)
April 6, 2007 7:33:59 PM

Quote:

So the Gforce not the radeon?

Is there a noticeable difference in performance do you think?

I'm looking for lowest cost possible mostly.
Actually Oblivion works better on most ATI than on (non-8800) nVidia cards. If you can swing an X1950Pro AGP that's probably your best bet at running Oblivion decently. For what it's worth I was able to get it to run "passably" on a P4 3.2 with an AGP GeForce 7800GS (typically 20-30 fps at 1280x1024, most shadows turned off) but the X1950s run it better than the 7800GS does. Also, I don't think you can get an AGP GeForce 7900 in the US, somebody does sell them in Europe labeled as 7800GS. Last I checked if you wanted to go the AGP nVidia route the 7600GT was your best bet.
April 6, 2007 7:35:47 PM

The cpu is fine, for Oblivion, the video card is absolutely not.
Get the 7800gs or x1950pro and definitely get more ram.
Also consider a used x800 or x850, or 6800 series AGP nvidia if you
really want to save.
You have AGP so your choices should be 6800gt or 7800gs nvidia
X850, x1950 ati.
If you don't have to have "great" then just hit ebay and get either of the older two cards cheap.
Don't overlook the memory though if you're struggling to push information
around, the video card won't help you.
I highly recommend 2gb although it is expensive.
If you don't do much gaming other than oblivion then the extra memory will still help you with "other" stuff.
April 7, 2007 11:45:48 PM

Pous, you really should try the Oldblivion link I gave you in my previous post, because it's free! Why go buy a new video card, if you don't have to? Besides that, it only takes a minute to install and you can find out if you really need to upgrade or not.

If you have 1gb of ram, then you are in great shape! If you don't care if the graphics are pretty and just want to play the game, the shaders included in the Oldblivion mod are all you need. I am talking from experience. I played the game fine, with a slower CPU than yours and the very same video card!

Another game you would probably love, is Neverwinter Nights. The "Neverwinter Nights Diamond" release is out, which includes the game, two expansions, and two premium modules, all for under 20 USD! That's right, twenty!

My PC won't quite run Neverwinter Nights 2 and I want to wait for the prices to come down before upgrading, so I was looking around for a good RPG and was completely surprised at how good this one is! How did I miss it!!!?? Neverwinter Nights and all of it's expansions and modules run great on older computers, too! Not to mention the thousands of user created modules that are FREELY available to everyone! You could spend months or even years before you played them all! Sure, the graphics are not that great and I have to admit, I was initially turned off by the display, but this game is so good that I quickly changed my mind without reservation. What a great adventure / story and what RPG lover doesn't love Dungeons and Dragons? If you haven't played it yet, don't miss out on this masterpiece!

Cheers!

Hamarabi
April 8, 2007 12:11:10 AM

works fine on my agp ati x850pro with 16 pipes unlocked,core/mem & mem timings OC'd, running at high with no AA @1280x1024 sufers in a few places, but overall its fine, my cpu is 4200 dual core and 1.6gigs ram
April 8, 2007 6:44:46 PM

Quote:
Pous, you really should try the Oldblivion link I gave you in my previous post, because it's free! Why go buy a new video card, if you don't have to? Besides that, it only takes a minute to install and you can find out if you really need to upgrade or not.

If you have 1gb of ram, then you are in great shape! If you don't care if the graphics are pretty and just want to play the game, the shaders included in the Oldblivion mod are all you need. I am talking from experience. I played the game fine, with a slower CPU than yours and the very same video card!

Another game you would probably love, is Neverwinter Nights. The "Neverwinter Nights Diamond" release is out, which includes the game, two expansions, and two premium modules, all for under 20 USD! That's right, twenty!

My PC won't quite run Neverwinter Nights 2 and I want to wait for the prices to come down before upgrading, so I was looking around for a good RPG and was completely surprised at how good this one is! How did I miss it!!!?? Neverwinter Nights and all of it's expansions and modules run great on older computers, too! Not to mention the thousands of user created modules that are FREELY available to everyone! You could spend months or even years before you played them all! Sure, the graphics are not that great and I have to admit, I was initially turned off by the display, but this game is so good that I quickly changed my mind without reservation. What a great adventure / story and what RPG lover doesn't love Dungeons and Dragons? If you haven't played it yet, don't miss out on this masterpiece!

Cheers!

Hamarabi

Thanks for reminding me of that. I just got so caught up in video cards etc etc, that I lost sight of my main goal (Playing Oblivion, and having fun). I'm definitely going to look into 'Oldblivion'. Only thing I need to do now is find a cheap copy of the game :D 

I think a video card upgrade would be nice, but if I can get it to run oldblivion, that will suffice until I can save enough for a full (read: brand new system) upgrade. (Maybe sometime late may)

Thanks once again. I've been really impressed with how helpful everyone in this forum is.
April 8, 2007 7:20:51 PM

I ran oblivion on an Althon 3200+ XP, with a 6600GT at 1280x1024.

So it can be done.
April 8, 2007 8:17:13 PM

Oldblivion

If you have at least 512MB RAM, that computer should run Oblivion at 800x600 minimum detail and get a decent framerate. Which is fine if all you care about is the gameplay. Although a better video card couldn't hurt :lol: 
April 9, 2007 6:46:27 PM

wow, i just checked the screenies of oldblivion, theyve done a fantastic job, gotta love the PC community
April 9, 2007 7:07:51 PM

Pous,you should be fine with just a new AGP card.
I could run Oblivion on HIGH settings with the following...
Athlon XP 2500 Barton (OC'ed, but not by much,I have a new CPU now so I cant remember the exact figure, sry).
1 gig DDR 3200.
GeForce 7600GS AGP (512Mb).
Asus A7N8X mb.

It ran pretty well on high settings,only the odd bit of lag when confronted by multiple enemies.Hope this helps. :wink:
April 10, 2007 2:52:57 AM

BAN
April 10, 2007 2:56:08 AM

You will be outta here sooner than you think :lol: 
April 10, 2007 3:33:16 AM

BAN
April 10, 2007 3:36:18 AM

Quote:
BAN

Oohhhh BANNN YES BANNN! thats the only word I know cause im a dumb fagg0t! :roll:
April 10, 2007 3:36:57 AM

BAN
!