Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

bad pixels on rear projection LCD?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
October 25, 2004 10:35:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I know regular LCD tv's have bad pixels that happen over time, does
that happen to a rear projection LCD TV HDTV. I see the new 50" LCD
rear projection Panasonic TV and love the picture compared to DLP tv's
i saw.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 2:47:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:9c3a67a5.0410251735.16946db2@posting.google.com...
> I know regular LCD tv's have bad pixels that happen over time, does
> that happen to a rear projection LCD TV HDTV. I see the new 50" LCD
> rear projection Panasonic TV and love the picture compared to DLP tv's
> i saw.

It happens, but it is less frequent than on projectors of the past. Look
carefully at the newer DLP sets coming from several manufacturers. You will
likely find some that you will like. If you end up liking the LCD better,
don't be too concerned with bad pixels. just keep your filter clean on any
set of either flavor.

Leonard
October 26, 2004 11:49:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

and, you should consider the cost of replacement BULBs too -- the one for my
Sony front projector MSRP is $500, I picked one up at a bargain price of
$440 on-line.


"Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
news:r4jfd.36$ie.20@lakeread04...
>
> "Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:9c3a67a5.0410251735.16946db2@posting.google.com...
> > I know regular LCD tv's have bad pixels that happen over time, does
> > that happen to a rear projection LCD TV HDTV. I see the new 50" LCD
> > rear projection Panasonic TV and love the picture compared to DLP tv's
> > i saw.
>
> It happens, but it is less frequent than on projectors of the past. Look
> carefully at the newer DLP sets coming from several manufacturers. You
will
> likely find some that you will like. If you end up liking the LCD better,
> don't be too concerned with bad pixels. just keep your filter clean on
any
> set of either flavor.
>
> Leonard
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 5:55:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

The replacement lamps for the Sony LCD RPTV's run around $200. Some of the
dealer protection plans, such as Sears', cover lamps within the coverage
period, others do not. You can google or froogle for the replacement lamp
for your TV to find out replacement cost.

mack
austin


"Andrew" <n@a.org> wrote in message
news:_Hrfd.203504$as2.75028@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> and, you should consider the cost of replacement BULBs too -- the one for
my
> Sony front projector MSRP is $500, I picked one up at a bargain price of
> $440 on-line.
>
>
> "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> news:r4jfd.36$ie.20@lakeread04...
> >
> > "Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:9c3a67a5.0410251735.16946db2@posting.google.com...
> > > I know regular LCD tv's have bad pixels that happen over time, does
> > > that happen to a rear projection LCD TV HDTV. I see the new 50" LCD
> > > rear projection Panasonic TV and love the picture compared to DLP tv's
> > > i saw.
> >
> > It happens, but it is less frequent than on projectors of the past.
Look
> > carefully at the newer DLP sets coming from several manufacturers. You
> will
> > likely find some that you will like. If you end up liking the LCD
better,
> > don't be too concerned with bad pixels. just keep your filter clean on
> any
> > set of either flavor.
> >
> > Leonard
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 5:55:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:55:31 +0000, Mack McKinnon wrote:

> The replacement lamps for the Sony LCD RPTV's run around $200. Some of the
> dealer protection plans, such as Sears', cover lamps within the coverage
> period, others do not. You can google or froogle for the replacement lamp
> for your TV to find out replacement cost.
>
> mack
> austin
>
>
> "Andrew" <n@a.org> wrote in message
> news:_Hrfd.203504$as2.75028@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>> and, you should consider the cost of replacement BULBs too -- the one for
> my
>> Sony front projector MSRP is $500, I picked one up at a bargain price of
>> $440 on-line.
>>
>>
>> "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
>> news:r4jfd.36$ie.20@lakeread04...
>> >
>> > "Rob" <teacherrob9@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > news:9c3a67a5.0410251735.16946db2@posting.google.com...
>> > > I know regular LCD tv's have bad pixels that happen over time, does
>> > > that happen to a rear projection LCD TV HDTV. I see the new 50" LCD
>> > > rear projection Panasonic TV and love the picture compared to DLP tv's
>> > > i saw.
>> >
>> > It happens, but it is less frequent than on projectors of the past.
> Look
>> > carefully at the newer DLP sets coming from several manufacturers. You
>> will
>> > likely find some that you will like. If you end up liking the LCD
> better,
>> > don't be too concerned with bad pixels. just keep your filter clean on
>> any
>> > set of either flavor.
>> >
>> > Leonard
>> >
>> >
>>

My Sony 50" died after 4 months. I assume it was the bulb, I'll find out
for sure when the service man shows up on Thursday. I bought the Best Buy
4 year warranty because they said it covered the bulbs. When I bought the
set I assumed that I'd need a bulb every two years so I would break even
on the warranty. If the bulbs really only last four months then the
warranty is a huge win. I'll let everyone know what happens with the
service call.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 8:48:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Bulbs can last 4 months, or maybe MUCH longer, manufacturing tolerances or
errors or unusually good construction are the determining factors. At $200,
I don't think once a year is too much to deal with, whats that like $17 a
month? Once every 2 years is definately OK with me. But $17/month is
really not cheap when you consider you could probably get basic cable for
less, but when you think about how cheap the RPTVs are as far as $/inch of
display....it isn't so bad. I think a RPTV will be my next TV purchase even
with the bulb issues.

--Dan

"General Schvantzkoph" <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.26.14.13.48.85093@yahoo.com...
> My Sony 50" died after 4 months. I assume it was the bulb, I'll find out
> for sure when the service man shows up on Thursday. I bought the Best Buy
> 4 year warranty because they said it covered the bulbs. When I bought the
> set I assumed that I'd need a bulb every two years so I would break even
> on the warranty. If the bulbs really only last four months then the
> warranty is a huge win. I'll let everyone know what happens with the
> service call.
>
>
Anonymous
August 19, 2009 12:18:23 AM

My 70 in XBR Sony is about five years old. It is working of its third buld after the original one. They are 200 bucks and Sony doesnt cover them and neither does its ext'd warranty.

About two years ago I saw about 10 bad pixles. now there are almost one hundred. . Once I saw a area in the middle of the screen and mostly on top looking like a bid wet spot in a kind of blue color. Months later all these tiny pixel spots. Try to talk abou them to SOny and it is like talking about the plague which just can't happen in the USA. I was going to buy another one but since I can get no answers, I am reluctant to buy another LCD ESPECIALLY Sony. I am shocked as I have always bought SOny for just short fifty years.

How can this be 9,000 dollar TV technology? Prices are going down now but at their prices bad pixel risk makes it NOT WORTH IT.

I am embarrassed as I talked so many friends into buying Sony LCD.
!