ezerath

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2003
I know this is the most general problem known to man kind, but I thought maybe you guys could help me narrow it down.

Randomly, my PC keeps crashing, for no apparent reason. (It doesn't reboot, the whole system locks up, though with games sometimes it's just the game crashes) The Windows installation is fresh, there is hardly any programs installed on my computer, and all of my drivers are consistently kept up to date (mobo, video, sound, et c.).

My specs are kind of interesting, it's based off of a THG article several years ago. I overclocked my P4 from 2.6 to 3.2, using a 1ghz FSB and ddr500 ram, so the ram to cpu ratio is still 1:1. My AGP and PCI speeds are fixed to 66/33, as default. My voltage is at the CPU default setting and my graphics are at 2.7 and memory (Corsair XMS) at 1.55v.

My first thought was the overclocking was the problem, but I have had it turned off at have the same problems.

Rest of the specs:
Abit IS7
1.5 gig (1x512, 1x1024 stick)
Presonus Firebox (firewire audio for recording)
Creative PC-DVD drive
PNY Verto Geforce6800 128mb

I also have a huge fan on the P4 which keeps it running nice and cool... although it doesn't really get that hot as it is, despite the overclocking.

I know this is very unspecific, but the crashing is very random. Seems to be when the computer is under stress though. Whenever I'm recording it may crash, or playing games. I have Quake4 and Half Life 2 installed, and it happens with both games, inconsistently.

Thanks for any help. If you need more information, I'd be more than happy to provide it.