Sign in with
Your question

P-ATA Drive(s) on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

Last response: in Overclocking
April 6, 2007 2:24:37 PM

Hello all. I am building a PC over the next 3 weeks (Just waiting for the conroes to drop in price (April 29th) and was looking at buying a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

The problem is I have 3 200Gb x 1 year old IDE Drives that I want to use. I also have a PCI card (Sil0860) that allows you to addon IDE drives.

The proposed system will be an e6600 conroe/2 gb DDR2 667 Ram/7600GT GPU/Superflower 500T14 PSU/3 X WD200JB drives.

I dont plan to OC anything, only play Flight Sim as far as games go. Have my own 5.1 sound card, not worried about RAID etc and just basic onboard network functionality.

As this board only has one IDE port, would I just connect the DVD Burner as slave and Main OS Drive (200Gb WD PATA) as master to the 1 IDE port that is on the board?

Can I then use the SiI0680 card and put that into one of the PCI slots and connect the other 2 drives to that IDE card?

If this would be ok, which PCI slots do u use for the SI0860 IDE card? I understand the PCIe x 16 is for the GFX card. Can the SI0860 be put in "any" of the other PCIe slots? ie the PCIe x 1 slot or the PCI slot?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers Chris
April 6, 2007 3:24:26 PM

What you are thinking will work fine. There are 3 PCIe x1, 1 PCI x16, and 3 PCI slots on the board. The PCIe x16 is the GFX card and the PCI - IDE card will work in any of the PCI slots. The PCIe x1, PCIe x16, and PCI slots are physically different (and obvious) so you won't be able to plut things in wrong.

The DS3 has onboard 7.1 sound and ethernet. There are PATA to SATA adapters that allow you to run a PATA drive in a SATA port if you wish to consider that. I do not know if the PCI - IDE card or the PATA - SATA adapter would be faster.

GL
April 7, 2007 2:48:38 AM

Thx Firemist for that advice, looks l like I will go for that board or even the 945P-DS3

Cheers Chris
!