Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Newegg SUCKS! Alternatives?

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
November 9, 2011 5:27:07 PM

Ok so I finally got my college disbursement and gleefully spent all day Monday re-editing my $3200 shopping cart on Newegg because they couldn't keep MSI GTX580 Lightning XE's in stock if their lives depended on it. I reluctantly settled for two Asus GTX580's as they were my first choice up until seeing the XE's anyway. I place the order about 9pm Monday central time and pay for rush processing. The next day I get up and see everything is still processing. I think no big deal it's a big order and look it over to make sure I didn't forget anything. Turns out that I did forget something. A 50mm fan for my Sabertooth P67 board. So I go in an purchase one. That $10 order was processed and shipped within an hour. I'm like um...ok so now im going to get a fan and have nothing to put it in. Whatever no big deal. Then Newegg notifies me that the damn MSI Lightning XE's are finally back in stock. After some searching I find out that I can modify my order as long as it hasn't been charged. Well charged is the step that comes after processing so I'm like weeeeeeee and giggle like a little french school girl because now I can get the cards I wanted in the first place. But after talking to a Newegg live rep I find that that is not the case. Even though my order is still processing they have already charged the bank account. The live rep advises me that I have two options. I can either cancel the order, wait 3-5 days for a refund and then reorder, or I can not open the products I want to exchange, RMA them back (at my expense), and purchase the ones I do want. Of course neither option works for me so I told them nevermind. I'm sure that when my build gets here (if it ever gets here at this rate) that any buyers remorse I have will go away instantly. So today I contact live rep again because my order is STILL PROCESSING. Newegg processing takes 1-2 days NORMALLY so why on earth has it already taken 1.5 days when I paid for RUSH processing. I come to find out that because my billing and shipping addresses are different on the credit card that they cannot give rush processing and will refund the $3. Again no big deal. Wish they wouldn't have let me charge that in the first place or at least put a disclaimer next to it saying you are only elligible for this if your addresses match. At this point I am begging the live agent to get my order processed. When I made the purchase I was told it would ship by 08 NOV 11. Of course that time has already passed and because they are still dicking around with getting my order processed it looks like I won't even have the PC by Saturday. This is NOT the treatment I expect from a company when I give them over $3000 and I'm honestly considering contacting the BBB because at this point I feel like I'm being given the runaround. I can see a few other people in here are complaining about the EXACT same thing. How damn hard is it to call the freakin bank and ask is this purchase legit? Out of 125 employees they can't spare one to work a phone.

With that wall of text out of the way, I am asking you guys for a good alternative to Newegg because I am very close to just canceling the order so I don't have to deal with this bullshit and being lied to. For some reason they also took it upon themselves to go and change all of my personal account info to match the billing address I gave them instead of my current mailing address, compeletely without my knowledge or permission. Yeah excuse you Newegg but if I wanted my current mailing address to be my old billing address I would have done that myself but thanks for your thoughtlessness. Any thoughts? Tiger Direct is a no go because I live in Florida and they charge Florida residents tax. So without Newegg and Tiger, what other comprehensive computer building websites are out there?
November 9, 2011 9:33:44 PM

Micro Center, Fry's, Best Buy (in that order).

Sorry to hear about your ordeal!

My personal experience has been that any time I deviate from 'traditional' online shopping practices involving changes, re-ordering, shipping, etc., I can expect huge problems. This is due to the fact that these online merchants have shaved their margins so much that they cannot afford individual customer service like a brick and mortar store can. And of course, brick and mortar stores charge a much higher price to reflect the expected levels of customer service.
November 9, 2011 9:51:39 PM

In a massive argument via live chat right now. They offered a $20 refund but I don't want money back. I just want my pc by Saturday. Had they processed my order in a timely fashion, it would have arrived on Friday. Out of 4 companies we placed orders through on Monday, Newegg was the only one that didnt process and ship immediately.
Related resources
November 9, 2011 9:54:52 PM

OmniJackal said:
In a massive argument via live chat right now. They offered a $20 refund but I don't want money back. I just want my pc by Saturday. Had they processed my order in a timely fashion, it would have arrived on Friday. Out of 4 companies we placed orders through on Monday, Newegg was the only one that didnt process and ship immediately.

Ask to speak/chat with a supervisor. That might help!
November 9, 2011 11:15:14 PM

Was on live chat for an hour. Pointed out that I didn't spend $3300 to have my order in a week. They increased the refund offered to $30. I asked the agent if she could keep the money and just guarantee that I get my computer by Saturday. She said she couldn't modify the order. I basically had to TWIST their arm to release it. After all that I, all I got them to do was change the order from "processed" to "charged". This whole thing just really leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I'm still considering a complaint with the BBB. I didn't want money back. I just wanted my computer this week. I've shopped with them before and never had this problem so I don't understand that I had to have this problem when I happened to spend a small fortune at their site. So we'll see how long it takes the order to go from "charged" to "shipped" I guess.
November 10, 2011 12:11:21 AM

It was probably because it was a large order that they were 'extra cautious'. Different billing and shipping addresses sometimes occur in stolen credit card deals. And in such instances, the order is usually large.

Loss prevention departments have a point system that trigger extra investigation. Each attribute is assigned a certain numerical value, and when a certain pre-determined sub-total is reached, an alarm is triggered. Your order must have triggered some alarm, and the subsequent procedures led to order processing delay.

It is just an unfortunate sequence of events that made you a victim.

If you put yourself in Newegg's shoes, Newegg is not that bad of an outfit.
November 10, 2011 1:09:03 AM

Yeah I empathized for the poor girl I was talking to. However I do believe it is the consumers job to protect the consumer and not the businesses job. Their shenanigans took a legitimate order and ruined it. I shouldn't have to force a company to process an order. The money they had for 2 days should have been all the talking they needed. It's an unfortunate series of events. I may shop with them again but this practice is something I feel other consumers need to hear about. I really needed that computer this week. I just hope it ships tomorrow. If it doesn't, they're going to be hearing from me again.
November 10, 2011 9:38:07 AM

Yes, I understand your position. I hope you get your parts on time.

I don't think that Newegg singled you out for this type of treatment. Actually, they were protecting themselves as well as you, and making sure that on a large order like this the card was not fraudulent.

Compromised credit card numbers are becoming more prevalent these days, with a lot of hackers halfway across the globe. And then it becomes a huge hassle to straighten out things; letters, affidavits, etc.

Customer service agents have a very challenging job; every client that they deal with is an unhappy customer.

An interesting situation: Recently, Tom's Hardware sent me a gift of a book the size of an encyclopedia. UPS rang my doorbell, set it at the front door, and left. I was not expecting any deliveries from anywhere. The air balloon type of packaging inside had punctured and the object was rattling. After I picked it up, it felt like a metallic object inside; loose.

Then it occurred to me, what the heck am I doing handling a strange package? I set it down right at my doorstep, and called UPS requesting the shipper's name. The agent from 'Asia Pacific' asked me for the tracking number. I explained to her that I was not going to handle this unknown package to look for a tracking number. I told her to search UPS data base and to research the shipper. The agent told me that there was no way they could find the shipper's name without the tracking number. Weak link in the UPS system?

Fortunately, the tracking number was visible on the package and I traced it to some outfit in Michigan. I called them and they told me that it was from Tom's.

I was not happy with the customer service from UPS. I hope they have some type of automated screening of packages to ensure personal safety.

Anyway, the book was "Upgrading & Repairing PCs" by Scott Mueller (weighs 4 pounds!).
November 10, 2011 1:40:44 PM

Order is still showing "charged" and not "shipped". What is wrong with these guys. I am unbelieveably pissed off at this point. I'm so pissed off I could strangle a baby rabbit. What the hell am I supposed to do to get these guys off their asses and ship the *** I paid for DAYS ago?
November 10, 2011 2:10:31 PM

Hey I have a joke for you guys.

How many Newegg employees does it take to ship a package?

I don't know. They havn't shipped it yet.

LOL
November 10, 2011 3:57:02 PM

OmniJackal said:
Hey I have a joke for you guys.

How many Newegg employees does it take to ship a package?

I don't know. They havn't shipped it yet.

LOL

Good that you still have your sense of humor! :) 
November 10, 2011 4:21:19 PM

They shipped the case and the liquid cooler.
November 10, 2011 4:44:42 PM

OmniJackal said:
They shipped the case and the liquid cooler.

That's progress! :) 
November 10, 2011 7:04:02 PM

Everything except my speakers has shipped. Not sure why they wouldn't ship those yet. All orders have changed from charged to shipped but not everything has shipped yet. Should I worry?
November 10, 2011 7:20:31 PM

OmniJackal said:
Everything except my speakers has shipped. Not sure why they wouldn't ship those yet. All orders have changed from charged to shipped but not everything has shipped yet. Should I worry?

Nothing to worry!

These items are shipped from different warehouses; different cities. Some items are drop shipped.

Relax! :) 
November 10, 2011 7:24:20 PM

Speakers are shipped now. I think everything is accounted for. At this point is it unreasonable for me to file a BBB complaint purely based on the mental anguish and heartache they caused me?
November 10, 2011 10:02:19 PM

OmniJackal said:
Speakers are shipped now. I think everything is accounted for. At this point is it unreasonable for me to file a BBB complaint purely based on the mental anguish and heartache they caused me?

Agree! :) 
November 11, 2011 11:12:54 AM

the only real thing you can complain about is the fact that they changed your current shipping address to your billing address as you stated. everything else might not have been their fault. but instead of the bbb just mail a letter to the management of newegg. the bbb is a total joke.
November 11, 2011 11:52:54 AM

I've gotten some good communication with companies I complained about in BBB when the company ignored me. Having an unresolved black mark is like a gpa 4.0 student getting an F on something. They do everything possible to make you happy when you go to the BBB. Theres always the FTC as well.
November 11, 2011 12:40:39 PM

OmniJackal said:
I've gotten some good communication with companies I complained about in BBB when the company ignored me. Having an unresolved black mark is like a gpa 4.0 student getting an F on something. They do everything possible to make you happy when you go to the BBB. Theres always the FTC as well.

Calm down guy! :) 
November 11, 2011 5:33:50 PM

Estimated delivery is Tuesday. A day after Newegg's guaranteed delivery. Its the last straw for me.
November 26, 2011 1:51:46 PM

Source the parts out on Amazon next time. Look it up on Newegg, but most, usually all, can be purchased on Amazon and Amazon even lists alternate suppliers with costs under the add to cart. You may pay for shipping on some, but can avoid the taxes, or Vice Versa in that manner.

Newegg indeed sucks. Have shopped with them for Years until now, deleted all my payment and sale subsciption notifications with them. They have gotten to big for their britches. I sat up for one of their special sales this Black Friday, signed in as the sale started, put two items in my cart and checked out, all in a few minutes. They deleted the main item I was buying, a Toshiba Tablet, DURING the checkout process without notifying me. SURPRISE, you didn't get what you wanted. Their response, they didn't have enough to fulfill the order. MY response was as listed earlier. If I went into a store and put a sales product in my cart and as I was paying for it a clerk pulls it out and gives it to someone else, would i shop there again? NO!
December 1, 2011 2:04:31 AM

NCIX is also an option, though I am not sure how good they are.
March 21, 2012 4:15:19 PM

OmniJackal said:
Estimated delivery is Tuesday. A day after Newegg's guaranteed delivery. Its the last straw for me.

OmniJackal, I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles but I don't think this was an isolated case.

I ordered a Radeon 6970 graphics card from Newegg last Saturday. When I placed my order, their site said it would take 2-3 business days to receive.

When I checked the order status this morning (Wednesday), my order was still in "Order Verification." Mario with their live customer support said "Our relevant department need to manual verify the order with your card-issuing bank for security reasons. Unfortunately, we are updating our system and most of orders are delayed currently. The package should be delivered on next Monday or Tuesday." I ordered a single item for $389.99.

Since this is the third business day after the order was placed, I asked when Newegg contacted my bank to verify the transaction's legitimacy. Mario stated "We will contact your bank today, and package should be shipped out by today or tomorrow." I suppose I've gotten used to relying on Amazon’s level of service that when I use another company that doesn't meet that expectation, it's frustrating (darn you Amazon for being so efficient!).

When I asked if they would ship the item overnight at no cost for the inconvenience as this was the first time I had done business with them and would not likely do so again, I was told "We cannot modify it. But we can cancel it for you. I would like to honor $10 Newegg gift card for you."

I talked Mario into refunding my credit card the $10 in lieu of the gift card (a 2.5% discount, what an insult!) however I would need to "Please contact me back at mario.s.ma@newegg.com with the order # once the package is shipped out.

It’s clear that building long-term customer relationships is not part of Newegg’s strategy. If I could find the item on another site I would have purchased it elsewhere (I checked Amazon, Best Buy, Fry’s, and Micro Center and no one had the item.). Newegg got the sale but at what cost?

Prior to ending our live chat, Mario said “I want to invite you to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey to let me know how I did today. We want to make sure every customer has a chance to voice their opinion of our service. To take the survey, all you have to do is click the "Exit" button at the top of the chat window. Thank you for contacting Newegg. I hope you have an Eggcellent day!”

I thought great! I can give them feedback on their awful service. The joke was on me though, the exit button didn’t work. :( 
March 21, 2012 5:14:45 PM

Closing thread- was idle for 3.5 months and then posted. Please open a new thread for discussion- the original poster on this thread likely has moved past this incident long ago.
Related resources
!