Am I too far away for HDTV OTH

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 26, 2004 9:50:28 AM

I live 50 miles north of San Francisco. Is this too far from the HDTV
transmitters to get HDTV. I do get UHF with my analog TV which is
transmitted from the same tower.

Dennis

More about : hdtv oth

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:17:45 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:50:28 GMT, Dennis Hagemann <dennish@sonic.net> wrote:
> I live 50 miles north of San Francisco. Is this too far from the HDTV
> transmitters to get HDTV. I do get UHF with my analog TV which is
> transmitted from the same tower.

Depends upon the terrain. But if you get analog reception, you could
probably get digital with the right antenna, and picture and sound would
be better than ever. http://www.antennaweb.org/ could recommend antenna
and station directions.

I am behind a 2 story brick office building 40+ miles from Chicago and
even farther from stations at Gary/Hammond, IN, and I get decent digital
reception most of the time for 21 channels with an amplified indoor
antenna on an upstairs closet shelf, further boosted by a 30db Radio Shack
amplifier. Now that I realize they are not all in the same direction, I
realize why I sometimes need to make antenna adjustments.

The only channels I do not get are CBS, which I never could get on analog
2 and digitally broadcasts on 3, and some obscure channel I never heard of
(I get some signal for both, but intermittant and no lock). So far I am
just using a Samsung SIR-T351 set top box connected to a regular old
Panasonic TV.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:17:46 PM

>> I am behind a 2 story brick office building 40+ miles from Chicago
and
>> even farther from stations at Gary/Hammond, IN, and I get decent
digital
>> reception most of the time for 21 channels with an amplified indoor
>> antenna on an upstairs closet shelf, further boosted by a 30db
Radio Shack
>> amplifier. Now that I realize they are not all in the same
direction, I
>> realize why I sometimes need to make antenna adjustments.
>>
>> The only channels I do not get are CBS, which I never could get on
analog
>> 2 and digitally broadcasts on 3, and some obscure channel I never
heard of
>> (I get some signal for both, but intermittant and no lock). So far
I am
>> just using a Samsung SIR-T351 set top box connected to a regular
old
>> Panasonic TV.

Can I ask which direction from Chicago you live? Also, when you
mention "21 channels", are you really talking about 21 digital
channels? Chicago has 15, and I can't figure out where you're getting
the other 6. Milwaukee?

I'm 25 miles west of Chicago. After installing a WinTV-D card
recently, I bought an amplified indoor antenna to see how it would
work, until I could hook up the attic antenna. I get 3 channels
clearly, with Fox (DTV-31) being the best. Most of the others appear
and lock up. But I can't get CBS (DTV-3), which is the only DTV
station here broadcasting on VHF. I really want CBS to watch Survivor.
I get a decent analog signal on CBS (with an amp), but not enough to
lock in a DTV signal. So, i'm heading up into the attic soon to run a
cable down to the bedroom. Based on what I get now, I'm fairly sure
that with the attic antenna i'll be able to get all the Chicago DTV
stations. I'm going to add an amp at the antenna before splitting, and
use RG6. If I still can't get CBS, I may try to install an antenna on
the roof and see what happens. God, if CBS were on UHF, life would be
great.

Anyone else here in or near Chicago? If so, can you post your approx.
location (in miles) from downtown, what type of antenna you use (and
whether it's in the attic or outside), and what channels you're able
to receive? Thanks.

By the way, here is a list I made of DTV markets and stations within
about 300 miles from me. The list may not include some smaller Indiana
markets:

City/Distance/#ofStations:

Chicago - 25 mi. - 15
Rockford - 83 mi. - 3
Milwaukee - 96 mi. - 11
South Bend - 116 mi. - 5
Madison - 141 mi. - 7
Champaign - 148 mi. - 8
Peoria - 151 mi. - 6
Dubuque - 173 mi. - 6
Springfield - 185 mi. - 5
Grand Rapids - 199 mi. - 9
Indianapolis - 200 mi. - 12
Ft. Wayne - 226 mi. - 6
Lansing - 238 mi. - 5
St. Louis - 282 mi. - 7
Detroit - 305 mi. - 8
Des Moines - 308 mi. - 5

Total: 118

__
__
October 27, 2004 5:07:45 AM

On 26 Oct 2004 08:20:42 -0700, Dish <dishhobby@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can I ask which direction from Chicago you live? Also, when you
> mention "21 channels", are you really talking about 21 digital
> channels? Chicago has 15, and I can't figure out where you're getting
> the other 6. Milwaukee?

From west Elgin, IL N42*02'53",W088*18'46", OTA channels I receive on
digital only Samsung SIR-T351, (does not necessarily mean HD):

Actual Samsung
Chan Display
27 1-1 WCIU SD
1-2 WFBT-CA SD MOSTLY ASIAN
3 2-1 WBBM-DT HD (marginal, seldom locks)
29 5-1 NBC5 HD WMAQ
52 7-1 WLS-HD HD
7-2 WLS-SD SD
7-3 WLS-SD SD WEATHER RADAR
19 9-1 WGN-D1 HD
9-2 WGN-D2 HD SPANISH
47 11-1 WTTW-HD HD PBS
11-2 WTTW-HD HD PBS
21 20-1 WYCC-DT SD PBS
31 32-1 WFLD-DT HD
43 38-1 PAX-38 SD
38-2 PAX MTN SD
38-3 PAX W SD
38-4 WORSHIP SD
38-5 FAITH SD
38-6 TLN SD
45 44-1 WSNS-DT SD TELEMUNDO (SPANISH)
51 50-1 WPWR-DT HD GARY, IN
59 60-1 WXFT-DT SD UNIVISION - AURORA, IL (SPANISH)
53 66-1 WGBO-DT SD UNIVISION - JOLIET, IL (SPANISH)

17 ? WYIN ? GARY, IN (no signal)
36 ? WJYS ? HAMMOND, IN (signal, no lock)
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:57:20 AM

Good idea on using a pre-amp mounted at the antenna. I would suggest
a 4 bowtie winegard or other good brand antenna for best results.
If you have room a 8 bow tie would add about 20% more signal strength.

I'm pulling in perfect hdtv and digital stations on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX
and PBS from 80 miles away. No dropouts at all but the signal is line
of site. I can see the transmitting mountain using 10x binoculars.
I mounted the 8 bowtie antenna up at 30 feet from ground level using
a telescoping mast. The degrees ended up being about 20 degrees to
the right of what antenna web came up with.

Always use 4 guys wires for any mast or at each section.
hdtvfan

On 26 Oct 2004 08:20:42 -0700, dishhobby@hotmail.com (Dish) wrote:

> [...]
>lock in a DTV signal. So, i'm heading up into the attic soon to run a
>cable down to the bedroom. Based on what I get now, I'm fairly sure
>that with the attic antenna i'll be able to get all the Chicago DTV
>stations. I'm going to add an amp at the antenna before splitting, and
>use RG6. If I still can't get CBS, I may try to install an antenna on
>the roof and see what happens. God, if CBS were on UHF, life would be
>great.
>
>Anyone else here in or near Chicago? If so, can you post your approx.
>location (in miles) from downtown, what type of antenna you use (and
>whether it's in the attic or outside), and what channels you're able
>to receive? Thanks.
>
>By the way, here is a list I made of DTV markets and stations within
>about 300 miles from me. The list may not include some smaller Indiana

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 3:34:32 PM

Dennis Hagemann wrote:

> I live 50 miles north of San Francisco. Is this too far from the HDTV
> transmitters to get HDTV. I do get UHF with my analog TV which is
> transmitted from the same tower.
>
> Dennis

I used to live there too.. (Sonoma actually)
Nobody can give you true answer to this, except perhaps a local antenna
installer guy. Or talk to neighbours in the area.

I just know that I payed attention when I set up analog reception and
noticed that we were lucky that it was pretty much a staight shot down the
valley all the way down to Sutro Tower. (San Bruno has towers too and was
not as good = not straight down the valley) Aiming at towers off west or
east offered less good reception since Sonoma is in a North-South valley.)
Antenna was ~40ft up from the ground, the largest VHF/UHF compo I could find
at the time, with an amp connected on the tower.

//jk

--
Every day above ground is a good day
Anonymous

dishhobby@hotmail.com (Dish) wrote in message news:<db81f84f.0410260720.7bd063bd@posting.google.com>...

> [...]
> lock in a DTV signal. So, i'm heading up into the attic soon to run a
> cable down to the bedroom. Based on what I get now, I'm fairly sure
> that with the attic antenna i'll be able to get all the Chicago DTV
> stations. I'm going to add an amp at the antenna before splitting, and
> use RG6. If I still can't get CBS, I may try to install an antenna on
> the roof and see what happens. God, if CBS were on UHF, life would be
> great.
>
> Anyone else here in or near Chicago? If so, can you post your approx.
> location (in miles) from downtown, what type of antenna you use (and
> whether it's in the attic or outside), and what channels you're able
> to receive? Thanks.
>
> By the way, here is a list I made of DTV markets and stations within
> about 300 miles from me. The list may not include some smaller Indiana

I have a WINTV-D and two out of four channels would break up (poor
reception). I cut the coax cable, which leads to a roof antenna, near
the indoor amplifier and reversed the wire connections - the inner
lead connected to the outer ground mesh and the outer ground mesh
connected to the inner copper lead. Now all the channels come in
fine.
!