Bent mobo pins? Consquences on processor?

rshikow

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Computer was having problems booting upon build.

Go through freak out mode and try to find out what's wrong-- BENT MOBO PINS (775 socket)

Already contacted manufacturer for a replacement mobo, but my question is...could this have possibly fried my processor? I dont have any other spare boxes that have a 775 socket mobo to try =(

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
If it is bent pins on the mainboard I am willing to say there is a 80% chance that the processer was NOT damaged. If you didn't notice any burning smell that is even better. Just remember to reapply new thermal compound when reinstalling the processor :D

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
2 rules about my advice

1) I am always right

2) If I am wrong see Rule #1

Just Kidding, I just love to say that though. My general rule is that I only give advice that apply to things I have experience with or a valid opinion on.

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
If there is no burnt smell it is very unlikley that you fried any of your parts. Secondly if you have the hand eye coordination and the proper tools the pin can likley be "stood" back up, this is only recommended for those with very good hand skills though as it's easier to cause more damage. Also if you are terribly concernd most likley there is a small local computer shop near you and most have a test rig that you can either test parts for free or for a naminal charge- there is a shop near me like thias anyway- i think most US cities have a renisannance computer and they usually do.

good luck

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
why cant you bend the pins back with a flathead?
Socket 775. The pins are microscopic and designed to have a specific tension and placement. Also, he would likely damage other pins. I thought you would have known that.

Manufacturers always recommend RMA if bent pins are discovered. Do it while under warranty and make sure to reattach the socket cap or they might not take it back.

If it is under warranty, no question.

As for knowing that... Haven't come across a ruined LGA socket yet, so haven't tried to fix it. Your right though, the pins are very small and no point in doing anything since its RMA'able.

rshikow

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Thanks for all the replies!

The board is under warranty, but Asus is charging me 40.00 because they consider bent CPU pins to be "physical damage" Whatever...still cheaper than buying another board. They also agreed to send a board before they receive my RMA board. They will charge my credit card for the new board and remove the charges once they receive my RMA.