Hughes Net Satellite Service

lennydude

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I was wondering if anyone had this service and what the pros and cons are?

I have Time Warner cable now and have been having more and more problems with them and absolutely "horrible" tech service.

A recent example.....................my internet connection (Road Runner) was slowing to a crawl on numerous occasions so I did my own trace route checks etc and after 3 days FINALLY managed to get to talk to a tech. That's correct ....took 3 full days of being on hold for over an hour each time!!!! He checked things out and told me everything was working fine up to and including my modem even though as we were speaking, I could not log onto anything and on a trace route to yahoo.com of 16 hops, 13 of the completely timed out.

He told me they would have to come to my house and the earliest appointment I could get was 10 days away!!!!

I hung up the phone (stayed VERY civil toward him). Went over to Time Warner the next day and exchanged my modem......................back up and running at faster speeds than ever !!

Really........................he could not tell that the modem was bad? It was NOT working while he was checking it?

I really do not want to switch services if nothing will be much different.............HughesNet vs. Time Warner.................

Hoping someone has some knowledge of them on here.................

Thanks for helping..............

Lenny

Busto963

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I have TW cable and have had simular tech assist problems, but advise you not to switch to a satellite ISP. If your service works fine now, I would try to forget your frustration and enjoy the service, or look into ADSL.

Satellite latency will kill your browsing experience. It isn't the download speed, its waiting fro the damn thing to respond to your query (i.e. latency) that is pure misery.

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I was wondering if anyone had this service and what the pros and cons are?

I used Hughes net for a year and a half and the damn thing kept loosing connection. I ended up just three months ago dumping them because they were as responsive as your experience. I am now Tachyon and i love it so far. They are comparable in price and i got thru to tech support pretty quickly. Just a warning if you do VPN's you may have issues with this...

I could not log onto anything and on a trace route to yahoo.com of 16 hops, 13 of the completely timed out.

During a tracert if a router has noreply setup you will get a timeout this is normal

I really do not want to switch services if nothing will be much different.............HughesNet vs. Time Warner.................

The main issue with Satellite is that weather can effect your service.. So if you have constant snow storms or your area is know for bad rain storms these will definitely limit your services. I use Tachyon as a fail over in case my T1 dies.

Best of luck...

~Cheers

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Satellite latency will kill your browsing experience. It isn't the download speed, its waiting fro the damn thing to respond to your query (i.e. latency) that is pure misery.

Latency will only kill you if you are using programs that have fast timeouts...
The initial wait for me was about 3 seconds on hughes and about 2-3 on Tachyon. So yes it isn't instant but its not like 56K, more like DSL. I have played BF2142, Counterstrike across my sat system and had a ping rate in the 60's. Hughes uses a Turbo Page Server (TPS) on the back end of their system that makes your web browsing faster and Tachyon uses a software based system that does the same. The only issue you may have is that the MAX speed you can get is 1.5mbps download and 500Kbps upload speeds and that is if the satellite you are on isn't being over used. I average about 1.2M and 300K.

Busto963

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Latency will only kill you if you are using programs that have fast timeouts...
The initial wait for me was about 3 seconds on hughes and about 2-3 on Tachyon.

???? 8O Anything over 30ms is an eternity for broadband! And he certainly will not be able to take advantage of things like VOIP.

The real issue is if the original poster should move from cable to satellite - doing so will likely cost him more money (both in monthly fees and installation) for less performance (latency, possibly download, and certainly upload speed).

IwanttoplayROBLOX

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
I have only used Hughes Net, but we have spent hours talking to those people and they will try to talk to us but then all of a sudden, it would just go on! We all get angry when they never do anything but sit in their houses and when they feel like it, they finally push the button for the internet or whatever they do.