mattdp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
Hi,

I've been using my custom PC happily for a few months, although I noticed it would occasionally stall when booting windows. When it did this, a simple reset would always fix the problem.

However, last night it decided to spend an age trying to load windows and then hang and it's repeating this process every time it's reset. I first assumed this was some sort of hardware issue but I then discovered that the machine starts perfectly well in safe mode.

I have no idea what this means in terms of diagnosing the fault. Could anyone assist me by suggesting some likely places to look for problems in a machine which hangs when loading windows fully, but runs happily in safe mode?

Cheers,
Matt

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
When you boot into Safe Mode I don't think all the drivers load, e.g., video, LAN unless you boot in to safe mode with network connection. You could boot into safe mode and Disable your video, audio, LAN and any other hard ware, probably wouldn't do USB, and see if you boot into Windows. Also if your using XP, could try to restore to an earlier perdiod when it was working.