Running Vista Beta 2 (x86 build)--DWL-G120 drivers?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I am running the public beta 2 of Windows Vista x86 (32-bit version) on my PC--dual-booting with Windows XP SP2-- and I can't get my blasted Internet to work with it. Unfortunately, I haven't any way of running ethernet cable from my PC to the router--and so I need my wireless to work. The adapter is USB--a D-Link DWL-G120 wuireless card. It works fine as I'm using it now in XP SP2. My PC specs are listed in my sig.

Anyone know of a driver that will work or any way to make this thing work with the Vista Beta 2 x86 build (public release)? I don't care if it only lets me use 802.11b--I just want a frikin driver that will allow me to test Vista's IE7 and such.

Try using XP's driver. I had a problem with my Audigy 2... I'm running the 64-bit version and Creative's beta drivers were bringing me no joy. So I used the XP Pro x64 driver and voila!

Of course, it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked it... still had to fight with it a bit, but the driver is installed and working as it should.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Tried it. On paper it worked--but the error in device manager says that the .inf file references "an unusable resource". The driver installs the tray icon, the device shows it is a driver from "GlobespanVirata" (it technically is/was), but it doesn't show the network exists at all and device manager shows it is goofed.

Any other suggestions...?

Here's what I did to get my Audigy 2 running:

1) Installed the XP Pro x64 driver. (Right-click and Run as Administrator)
2) Reinstalled the driver.
3) Updated the driver via Device Manager and pointed it to the .INFs in the temp folder Creative's installer creates.
4) Reinstalled driver again.
5) Updated via Device Manager again.

See what I mean by a fight to get it working? It's a royal PITA unless your hardware vendor has decent Vista beta drivers. You can try the same things I did to get my Audigy 2 working... but I can't guarantee that will work for you. If D-Link has no Vista drivers available yet, you might be SOL until they do.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Yeah, I see what you mean. I've done some fiddling with the drivers, I even went as far as EDITING the inf file on the line that I think is causing the problem with vista, but I got a BSOD error from that...

After that point I decided to stop messing with the .inf file--especially as I have never written one nor have I any clue as to what they need to work properly :?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I have the same problem.

Dlink still doesn't provide drivers for Vista.

Did you solve this problem?

Nope.

Literally last week I finally was able to test Vista using a network cable to my router, but D-Link issue was never resolved. Sorry--even the RC2 version did not provide support for my particular D-Link products according to the vista forums...

xfosx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Just to let you guys know, I finally figured out how to get it to work! Decided to register to let you guys know because i just ordered it & it didnt work so it really pissed me off!!! Took me 8 tries but I finally figured it out. :D When I first tried to install it I got some errors & the thing would never install properly. To get it working just:

1) Click here to download these drivers (this version is a little newer then the one on the U.S. site)
2) Right-click on the setup file
3) Click on properties
4) Click on the compatibility tab & set it to Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
5) Then click on the security tab & change it to administrator access
6) Install it

Onces its done installing, use windows to select the network. The default d-link program will not work! Good luck & let me know if it works for you guys.

bbbc

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
The D-Link DWL-G120 Revision B1 is compatible with 32-bit Vista. The latest 3.00 drivers are on D-Link Taiwan's site, http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/ModelDocu.asp?SourceType=download&sno=NSNTBN . Extract the archive, use Vista's Device Manager, select the device (probably shown as Unknown Device), and then use Update Driver and navigate to the Drivers folder of the downloaded driver. Do not use the setup.exe file bundled with the driver. This driver also gives the adapter WPA security.

robandjeanne

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009

I couldn't get my XP to update to the ver 3.00 driver. Then I looked at my driver and it was ver 1.0.5.0 but it was dated 11/11/2003. When I rechecked ver 3.00 it was dated 9/18/2003, so windows doesn't like ver 3.00 because it has a older date than ver 1.0.5.0, I tried both updating and reinstalling ver 3.00 to no avail. Frustrated in Virginia.

robandjeanne

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
By the way. How does the d link dwl-g120 perform compaired with other usb wifi adapters? I like the compact design, and have been able to use with 25 foot usb extension, and seem to be able to pick up a lot of access points. However, I keep reading there are higher power or higher gain units out there like airlink and hawkings that may do better right out of the box, and some units that allow connection to high gain antennas for pickup from miles away? Also, how about type N wifi, and how long before we see it at free access points?. I invariably find the dwl-g120 stuck to a window does a far better job than internal wifi on any laptop I've tried.

ptlbak

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I downloaded the 3.0 driver. The device does work. However, I do get two errors on startup which state illegal entry points? Also when I shut down, the blue screen of death comes up for a couple of seconds before shutdown. The computer starts up OK after this but with the two errors described above. My solution $8.99 (free shipping) 54M USB wifi adaptor on Ebay. Works great no errors.