Worth Upgrading GFX Card?

Last response: in Video Games
April 14, 2004 10:11:51 PM

Hi e-chums.

At the moment i'm using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 but i'm considering to an FX. My
question is, how much difference will this make on an XP 2000+ with 512M of
RAM? For games in general and, specifically, OFP.

Toodle pip.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 12:05:09 AM

You won't get much better performance for OFP as it's an old engine. As for
other games, I can't remember if the card you have supports later than
directx 8 and/or pixel shaders etc but these are what to look for now. My
system is similar to your (XP2000, 1GB RAM) and I have recently upgraded
twice, not through necessity but through getting good deals but having seen
the improvements, I'd recommend upgrading especially for directx 9 support.

For the record, the scores I've had....

GF3 Ti500 64MB
3D Mark 2001 = 8010 with manufacturers drivers 44.03 (worse with later
drivers)

GF FX5600 Ultra 128MB
3D Mark 2001 = 9060 with reference drivers 56.56
3D Mark 2003 = 3057 with same drivers

Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
3D Mark 2001 = 11658 with catalyst 4.4 drivers
3D Mark 2003 = 5170 with same drivers

Moving from the GF3 to the 5600U, the most obvious change was with the
directx9 stuff. LOMAC, IL2, FarCry all ran much better and with much
prettier effects. FarCry still strugged indoors, though outside was fine.
Also, Halo had to be run with the 1.1 shader setting.

Going to the 9800 Pro has been even better imo. The image quality is better
and the colours are more vibrant. Also it handles shaders etc better so
FarCry and Halo run better again. Just been playing Colin McRae 4 and the
effects in that a great; shiny ice, beautiful vehicles etc.

To summarise: Upgrade not needed for OFP but will be for latest games and
also if you want to run with flashier effects.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 12:10:41 AM

Just a sidenote. The new nVidia card is supposed to be incredible. It's out
soon, along with the new ATI one. Might be worth waiting a couple of weeks
as it should knock the other cards prices down a bit but that's always the
case with PC stuff I guess; I tend to buy something then not look at another
price for a couple of months so I don't get upset!

:D

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/index.ht...
April 15, 2004 12:10:42 AM

Thanks a lot for the info. I've been thinking for a while of just building
a new system (AMD 64, SATA etc) so I might just do that and obviously get a
better GFX card for it and have the best of both worlds. That new GeForce
looks extremely tempting.

It used to be the case that once the CPU and, I guess, motherboard got past
a certain age it wasn't worth upgrading the GFX card because the older
components just served as a bottleneck and you saw diminishing returns, is
this still the case?
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 1:37:06 AM

> It used to be the case that once the CPU and, I guess, motherboard got
past
> a certain age it wasn't worth upgrading the GFX card because the older
> components just served as a bottleneck and you saw diminishing returns, is
> this still the case?

I don't think it's as big a deal as it used to be, possibly as the bulk of
game improvements now is in the graphics so if the gfx card is bearing the
brunt, the cpu isn't as stressed. I'd expect to get a decent boost though
when I finally upgrade my cpu (which, as usual, means a new mobo too). As
long as you don't go for cutting edge, Athlon cpu and mobo is pretty cheap
(I'm looking at XP2800, the Barton core will be an extra boost compared to
my old Athlon). I think the thing that holds me back with mobos is the
hassle of putting them in.

:D
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 1:46:21 AM

"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You won't get much better performance for OFP as it's an old engine.

Bzzzt, hold it right there.
You will get a big difference in ofp, the engine may be old, but that
game is still able to leave any desktop in tears. Once you're playing
on a busy {30 plus} server with a few of the newer mods your 4200 will
fall to it's knees like laughing boy in a public bog.
I use a 128 Rad 9700 pro, still. The word from the guys with the 256
meg newer versions is that it helps you up the detail way off into the
distance, good if you like sniping/long distance visual on nme air
etc. Assuming you have a mouse with enough dpi to handle it, it gives
you a good advantage.
'Old' ofp has some settings you can turn right up for some really good
graphics. It might not be the cartoon like Fart Cry, but 6 Littlebirds
moving low over Tonal island is a sight few game scan equal today.
Go for it, get what you can afford. Don't get 256 for the sake of it
though, make sure the ram is fast.
Cheers
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 4:08:25 AM

Probably didn't quite read as intended. I mean it's not worth upgrading from
a GF4 purely for OFP as the game looks good and with decent view distance on
one of those but get newer card if OFP isn't the be all and end all of your
gaming.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 8:03:02 PM

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:46:21 +0100, "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You won't get much better performance for OFP as it's an old engine.
>
>Bzzzt, hold it right there.
>You will get a big difference in ofp, the engine may be old, but that
>game is still able to leave any desktop in tears. Once you're playing
>on a busy {30 plus} server with a few of the newer mods your 4200 will
>fall to it's knees like laughing boy in a public bog.
>I use a 128 Rad 9700 pro, still. The word from the guys with the 256
>meg newer versions is that it helps you up the detail way off into the
>distance, good if you like sniping/long distance visual on nme air
>etc. Assuming you have a mouse with enough dpi to handle it, it gives
>you a good advantage.
>'Old' ofp has some settings you can turn right up for some really good
>graphics. It might not be the cartoon like Fart Cry, but 6 Littlebirds
>moving low over Tonal island is a sight few game scan equal today.
>Go for it, get what you can afford. Don't get 256 for the sake of it
>though, make sure the ram is fast.
>Cheers

I also use the 9700 Pro. I like it so much that I have no desire to
upgrade to the newer cards. Maybe in another year or so since I cant
keep my grubby fingers out of the case ;)
I am running an OC'd 2.6G P4 (cruising @ 3.4G, 41 degrees C after
intense gaming) and seldom see frame rates under 70. I play everything
@1600 x 1200. Great card and at $175US it cant be beat.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 8:15:59 PM

> Probably didn't quite read as intended. I mean it's not worth
upgrading from
> a GF4 purely for OFP as the game looks good and with decent view
distance on
> one of those but get newer card if OFP isn't the be all and end all
of your
> gaming.

*You* didn't read it right? I thought this was in a different
newsgroup..........doh!
Anyway, OFP always seems to look a bit better everytime I upgrade...
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 10:27:19 PM

"Dave King" <lefort3@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:46:21 +0100, "didgerman"
<aw990012@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> You won't get much better performance for OFP as it's an old
engine.

> >Bzzzt, hold it right there.
> >You will get a big difference in ofp, the engine may be old, but
that
> >game is still able to leave any desktop in tears. Once you're
playing
> >on a busy {30 plus} server with a few of the newer mods your 4200
will
> >fall to it's knees like laughing boy in a public bog.
> >I use a 128 Rad 9700 pro, still. The word from the guys with the
256
> >meg newer versions is that it helps you up the detail way off into
the
> >distance, good if you like sniping/long distance visual on nme air
> >etc. Assuming you have a mouse with enough dpi to handle it, it
gives
> >you a good advantage.
> >'Old' ofp has some settings you can turn right up for some really
good
> >graphics. It might not be the cartoon like Fart Cry, but 6
Littlebirds
> >moving low over Tonal island is a sight few game scan equal today.
> >Go for it, get what you can afford. Don't get 256 for the sake of
it
> >though, make sure the ram is fast.
> >Cheers
>
> I also use the 9700 Pro. I like it so much that I have no desire to
> upgrade to the newer cards. Maybe in another year or so since I cant
> keep my grubby fingers out of the case ;)
> I am running an OC'd 2.6G P4 (cruising @ 3.4G, 41 degrees C after
> intense gaming) and seldom see frame rates under 70. I play
everything
> @1600 x 1200. Great card and at $175US it cant be beat.

Mine was a hell of a good buy over a year ago. Really nothing new has
come out since, just bigger and slightly faster ram, but the 9700
overclocks well enough to keep up.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 10:27:20 PM

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:27:19 +0100, "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Dave King" <lefort3@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:46:21 +0100, "didgerman"
><aw990012@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>engine.
>> >
>> >Bzzzt, hold it right there.
>> >You will get a big difference in ofp, the engine may be old, but
>that
>> >game is still able to leave any desktop in tears. Once you're
>playing
>> >on a busy {30 plus} server with a few of the newer mods your 4200
>will
>> >fall to it's knees like laughing boy in a public bog.
>> >I use a 128 Rad 9700 pro, still. The word from the guys with the
>256
>> >meg newer versions is that it helps you up the detail way off into
>the
>> >distance, good if you like sniping/long distance visual on nme air
>> >etc. Assuming you have a mouse with enough dpi to handle it, it
>gives
>> >you a good advantage.
>> >'Old' ofp has some settings you can turn right up for some really
>good
>> >graphics. It might not be the cartoon like Fart Cry, but 6
>Littlebirds
>> >moving low over Tonal island is a sight few game scan equal today.
>> >Go for it, get what you can afford. Don't get 256 for the sake of
>it
>> >though, make sure the ram is fast.
>> >Cheers
>>
>> I also use the 9700 Pro. I like it so much that I have no desire to
>> upgrade to the newer cards. Maybe in another year or so since I cant
>> keep my grubby fingers out of the case ;)
>> I am running an OC'd 2.6G P4 (cruising @ 3.4G, 41 degrees C after
>> intense gaming) and seldom see frame rates under 70. I play
>everything
>> @1600 x 1200. Great card and at $175US it cant be beat.
>
>Mine was a hell of a good buy over a year ago. Really nothing new has
>come out since, just bigger and slightly faster ram, but the 9700
>overclocks well enough to keep up.

I bought it when prices started to fall, when nVidia thought they were
on to something to compete with the 9700 Pro. I love it because the
harder you push it, the better it performs.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 11:19:29 PM

"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You won't get much better performance for OFP as it's an old engine. As
for
> other games, I can't remember if the card you have supports later than
> directx 8 and/or pixel shaders etc but these are what to look for now. My
> system is similar to your (XP2000, 1GB RAM) and I have recently upgraded
> twice, not through necessity but through getting good deals but having
seen
> the improvements, I'd recommend upgrading especially for directx 9
support.

> For the record, the scores I've had....
>
> GF3 Ti500 64MB
> 3D Mark 2001 = 8010 with manufacturers drivers 44.03 (worse with later
> drivers)
>
> GF FX5600 Ultra 128MB
> 3D Mark 2001 = 9060 with reference drivers 56.56
> 3D Mark 2003 = 3057 with same drivers
>
> Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
> 3D Mark 2001 = 11658 with catalyst 4.4 drivers
> 3D Mark 2003 = 5170 with same drivers
>
> Moving from the GF3 to the 5600U, the most obvious change was with the
> directx9 stuff. LOMAC, IL2, FarCry all ran much better and with much
> prettier effects. FarCry still strugged indoors, though outside was fine.
> Also, Halo had to be run with the 1.1 shader setting.
>
> Going to the 9800 Pro has been even better imo. The image quality is
better
> and the colours are more vibrant. Also it handles shaders etc better so
> FarCry and Halo run better again. Just been playing Colin McRae 4 and the
> effects in that a great; shiny ice, beautiful vehicles etc.
>
> To summarise: Upgrade not needed for OFP but will be for latest games and
> also if you want to run with flashier effects.
>
> I was also thinking of upgrading because I love(d) using ECP however it
slows my system right down,but maybe I would be better upgrading my cpu
rather than graphics card(think i can go up to 2700) I have a 1800xp,
4200ti(64MB ddr),768MB ddr ram and Windows Me.

Kango
April 17, 2004 1:28:23 AM

Why not wait until after E3 this year and see what "surprises" come out,
that may influence your decision

:D

TJ

"meiso" <meiso@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Hi e-chums.
>
> At the moment i'm using a GeForce 4 Ti4200 but i'm considering to an FX.
My
> question is, how much difference will this make on an XP 2000+ with 512M
of
> RAM? For games in general and, specifically, OFP.
>
> Toodle pip.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 4:37:57 AM

TJ wrote:

> Why not wait until after E3 this year and see what "surprises" come
> out, that may influence your decision

How would what comes out at E3 influence it? What I mean is, surely
upgrading is going to benefit whatever gets announced?
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 5:34:09 PM

> TJ wrote:
>
> > Why not wait until after E3 this year and see what "surprises"
come
> > out, that may influence your decision
>
> How would what comes out at E3 influence it? What I mean is, surely
> upgrading is going to benefit whatever gets announced?

Nothing will come out at any show. The only thing that matters this
year is which set-up will run HL2 the best. Nobody will release
anything until they are sure they've got that right.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 5:34:10 PM

didgerman wrote:

> Nothing will come out at any show. The only thing that matters this
> year is which set-up will run HL2 the best. Nobody will release
> anything until they are sure they've got that right.

What do you mean by "nobody will release anything"? Hardware manufacturers
won't release hardware until they know it will run HL2 well, or software
developers won't release anything because they want to know what people
will be playing HL2 on? Both?
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 7:21:05 PM

> didgerman wrote:
>
> > Nothing will come out at any show. The only thing that matters
this
> > year is which set-up will run HL2 the best. Nobody will release
> > anything until they are sure they've got that right.
>
> What do you mean by "nobody will release anything"? Hardware
manufacturers
> won't release hardware until they know it will run HL2 well, or
software
> developers won't release anything because they want to know what
people
> will be playing HL2 on? Both?

Only hardware obviously. I don't think anything will be done until a
final build of HL2 is passed to the card makers, then they'll just
implement the version that suits. They've both had ages to build
something new. Especially ati, who basically have released nothing new
for over a year.
HL2 is set for August now, although no doubt, usual conditions apply.
April 18, 2004 9:31:59 PM

"Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message

> > How would what comes out at E3 influence it? What I mean is, surely
> > upgrading is going to benefit whatever gets announced?
>
> Because...
>
> http://www.codemasters.co.uk/flashpoint2/uk/press.php?n...

Nah, because I'm pretty sure we are gonna get an expansion, that may run
just as well if not better on your existing kit.

With OFP especially, the CPU is the biggest improver I think
!