XP won't boot, Mobo related?

schibs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Environment:

* A8N-SLI Premium
* PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510-SLI ATX12V 510W Power Supply
* OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel (stock timing)
* 2 x Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JS 200GB SATA running in RAID 0
* 2 x eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 running in SLI mode
* AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor (stock speed)

I have had this computer running for over a year without a glitch. I was playing WoW the other day and got a BSoD. I believe it was some kind of kernel error.

Now every time I try to boot into XP, it gets to the loading screen, scrolls the loading bar for a few seconds, and hard boots. I then try to boot into safe mode, but it never loads successfully.

I just checked the drives with the WD Disk Utility, and there are no errors on either drive. I also tried to boot from an IDE drive and it exhibits the same behavior (hard boots after a few seconds on the loading screen). The IDE drive is in a known state (i.e., it boots on my other computer) and the two SATA drives are disconnected.

I don't believe that this is a memory issue, because I can run bootable Knoppix from a CD for hours.

Would the motherboard potentially be to blame in this situation? Is there some part of the board that would not allow data to load into memory from both the SATA RAID sockets and the IDE socket?

Please point me in the right direction.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Environment:

* A8N-SLI Premium
* PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510-SLI ATX12V 510W Power Supply
* OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel (stock timing)
* 2 x Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JS 200GB SATA running in RAID 0
* 2 x eVGA 256-P2-N516 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 running in SLI mode
* AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor (stock speed)

I have had this computer running for over a year without a glitch. I was playing WoW the other day and got a BSoD. I believe it was some kind of kernel error.

Now every time I try to boot into XP, it gets to the loading screen, scrolls the loading bar for a few seconds, and hard boots. I then try to boot into safe mode, but it never loads successfully.

I just checked the drives with the WD Disk Utility, and there are no errors on either drive. I also tried to boot from an IDE drive and it exhibits the same behavior (hard boots after a few seconds on the loading screen). The IDE drive is in a known state (i.e., it boots on my other computer) and the two SATA drives are disconnected.

I don't believe that this is a memory issue, because I can run bootable Knoppix from a CD for hours.

Would the motherboard potentially be to blame in this situation? Is there some part of the board that would not allow data to load into memory from both the SATA RAID sockets and the IDE socket?

Please point me in the right direction.

I have the same MB. Two things, try and reset the CMOS jumper. Take the battery out and unplug the PSU when your reset. You may have a video driver corruption, but you would have to get into safe mode to uninstall the driver, then reinstall.

schibs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Thanks so much, this worked like a charm. I learned something new today, though I saw this solution for a lot of other people's problems.