Memory choices for my new build!

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Hi.

I'm going to do an Intel c2d build after the price drops. Here is what i plan to use.

-e6600 or e6420
-Gigabyte DS3
-8800gts 320
-antec p180
-antec truepower trio 650 watt
-dvd burner
-250 gig hard drive

I was, until now, bent on getting ddr2 800 mhz RAM because it was just ^faster^

but now im wondering if it really is worth the premium, especially for a guy like me who wont be using an aftermarket heatsink, or overclocking beyond 3 ghz for the e6600 or 2.6 ish for the e6420.

Ive found these 667mhz modules that seem to be well priced, but they dont have the heatspreaders like other pricier modules.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA23421&RSKU=BA23421

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4565617

So, my question is whether i should get a simple 667mhz combo that will be sufficient for now, give SOME headroom for oc'ing, be able to work in 1333 mhz fsb, and save me money, possibly for a scythe ninja :twisted:

Or I could just get 800mhz memory, for around $140, with the heat spreaders.

So what do you guys think is the best path for me, and which, if any, of those two do you think are the best?

Thanks in advance.

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
yeah, but the trupower trio has like an 85% efficiency rating, i think its different then the regular truepower 2.0's

but since i probably will get the e6600 without an aftermarket (for now?) i should probably jsut get this, right?(below)

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85016-16

it seems to fit my needs the best, and for the best price. ive heard it can take on 800mhz 5-5-5-12 easily.

and yeah, ive heard the ds3 runs hot, but if worst comes to worst, then i can just get a $5 scythe cooler. but the reason im probably getting it is that it is supposedly a lot more noob/lionhardt friendly than the p5n-e sli.

so, idk.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ok, I'm gonna keep this simple...... ;)

Stick with the DS3. End of story. Noob/Lionhardt friendly LOL. I wrote a DS3 OC'ing guide, I can send it to you later and get you OC'd like a pimp.

Next, if you got the cash, the 6600 is great. If you don't got the cash, get the 6300 and I can get you OC'd to 3.0ghz without breaking a sweat ;)

Now, RAM. If you plan on OC'ing hardcore, you need some Micron D9 RAM. However, if you go with the 6600 and the higher multi, then you don't. Just get some cheaper 800 stuff. That Corsair is hit-and-miss. And if you are OC'ing, then just get something that comes with heat spreaders. Don't bother doing it separate.....not worth the time or money. Period. In my personal opinion, even the cheap 800 RAM is a better move than expensive 667. 800 is RATED for 800, and goes up from there. 667 might hit 800, might not......depends. Expensive stuff might, but why waste your money then?? So why take a chance???

Go with stock HSF now if money's tight, and add a Scythe or something later.

Heck, just go with a 6300 or 6600, some G.Skill 800, an OCZ GameXstream for $20 more than the Antec, and toss in a Ninja. BOOM, DONE!!! And that'll hit 3.0 no problem on a 6300.....higher on a 6600.

Seriously. Go that route. You'll be happy. You're killing yourself over minutae. Not worth it. A DS3, any 6xxx, S.Skill, an OCZ GXS, and a Ninja will kick ass, end of story. No need to blow your bank account to scoop 10% more performance or some crap like that. Save your money. Just do that setup:

-DS3
-6xxx
-G.Skill 800 (or even OCZ 800 if it's a good price)
-OCZ GXS 600w
-Ninja

Let 'er rip!!!

8)

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
So basically, you guys think i SHOULDNT get the 667 CAS4 memory when its only at $120?

Cause im only thinking that i dont really want to oc the e6600 anymore than 3 ghz or so, because even at 2.4 stock it pwns. And since it has a 9x multiplier i can put the ram up to 333 (667) which its rated at, and get 3.0 ghz really easy. And since i already have the p180 and tp3 650 watt, which both run very cool, i could probably oc it on stock. Even if i had to, id just take the intel cooler off with rubbing alcohol, get some arctic silver, and get a ninja.

I saw the corsair XMS2 800mhz CAS5 for $135 AR, but the reabtes a pain in the ass.

So, considering how i wont overclock too much, do you guys think this seems like a reasonable path?

*****Oh, do you guys think that getting AS5 for $5 freeshipping and using that on the stock cooler is worth it? Or is it more trouble than its worth?

EDIT: Skyguy, can you pm me the guide, or do you want to email it to me? Having something to tangibly follow would be nice if i ever OC'ed.

Second EDIT :lol: : How's this Samsung burner for ~$37 with free ship? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151141&CMP=AFC-SlickDeals&ATT=27151141 It'll match my $190 22' Samsung deal nicely^^

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, you guys did. But it jsut seems that arctic silver 5 is readily available, and only lost to the Shin Etsu by like 3 C.

What about the other parts i selected, do those seem good?

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, but im not sure if i wanna OC that much, as im a first timer.

But with the ram, is that $120 CORSAIR 667mhz CAS4 no rebate good enough for what i want?

-at most, 3 ghz e6600 oc'ing
-stability
-low price

That's basically my main dilemma right now. Everything else is fairly good.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Agreed.

If you just wanna hit 3.0ghz then get the 6300 and 800 RAM.....you don't need the 6600, you can put that money into a better HSF and whatnot.

Ok, here's the thing about overclocking: unless you plan on doing a fairly decent overclock, don't bother. You won't notice much of a performance difference.....a few hundred mhz won't matter. Going up 1ghz or more, now THAT makes a difference. My 6300 is 1.86 ghz stock, and I'm at 3.2. That's a big increase. But to go from like 2.6 to 3.0....meh.

Dude, I can tell you the BIOS settings for a 6300 off the top of my head for you to hit 3.0ghz no problem ;) Not that hard. Just get a good HSF and you're laughin. But why get a 6600 if you're only barely gonna OC it? Might as well save the money and get a 6300, OC it, easily push it past a 6600, and for alot less money too.

I'll PM you the Guide soon.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I like the Freezone too, but not the price :(

I've toyed with getting the Bigwater, but it's so bulky....plus if you're gonna do a decent liquid setup, might as well do it a la carte.....buy the parts separate and do it properly from the start. Danger Den or Swiftech. And then not have to worry about temps and upgrading, etc.

I'm getting pwned by my case's location.....by the furnace vent.....nothing I can do. :( I gotta figure something out. My idle is 53C LMAO 8O

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
mmk, so you guys are definently sure that overclocking is where its at?

well then.

i guess the e4400 will be $130? the e4300 will be $114?

i guess i could get the e4400, with stock cooler? leave it at stock, until i NEED to o/c it. then o/c it to about 2.6? after the quad cores come to $200 in 1 1/2 years, i could pop one of those in.

that seems like the most cost effective way to get a lot of performance. although im still not sold on the "great" benefits of pc2 6400, while i could get 667mhz for so little, and a reputable brand at that. i just mean that if i were to run the RAM at 333, which its rated at that's 10 x 333 = 3.33 Ghz

So i assume that getting a scythe ninja would then be a feasible, and efficient option, with both of them combining to cost about $180, and with little acoustical pollution.

I'm just saying that if im not gonna push the e4400 more than 3.33ghz, than why even spring for the 800mhz?
And in the future, if i need to push it to 800mhz to o/c a 1333fsb quadcore, then i can, because those corsairs can (check below)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85016-16

And, even though i can get AS5 for $5 free shipping, you guys are still bent on the ceramique sh!t?

i still cant believe u guys talked me into o/c ing, but im not really afraid of that, just the correct installation of the scythe ninja :(

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Ok, so i found a 2.5 gram ceramique for $4 free shipping.
http://www.svc.com/chidethcobya.html

And, i dont want to spend too much on a cooler, plus the scythe can run without a fan, and still keep the proc cooler than a stock heatsink, making zero noise.

So, unanimously the ceramique over the AS5? Ive heard teh ceramique is for different unusual circumstances, and the AS5 is better for usual work. Ive also heard that silver is actually better.look at this. http://66.39.105.80/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=5

I mean, i think the scythe seems to be the quietest, and the best performer.
The tunic seems to hard to handle for me.

SO, for the final config, e4400 for $130 dollars, ddr2 667mhz CAS4 for $120, arctic silver 5?? $5, and scythe ninja plus $40

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
So hows that sound?
Scythe, 667 cas4 ram, e4400 for $130??, and then upgrade to a quad core in about 2 years, once more things take advantage of it, using the scythe.

seems like a good plan, right?

EDIT: i also found some g skill on newegg for $130 (800mhz), and some XMS2 corsair 800mhz CAS5 for $138 AFTER rebate (ick...<>) i just think that corsair is a reputable brand, right?

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
yeah, im not completely decided on the ram, but i jsut placed an order for my thermal compound.

with the ram, do you think the corsair XMS2 is better quality? ive jsut never had xp with g skill, but both seem to have kick arse prices.

now, my final dilemma is the RAM.

and for the cooler...

what do you guys think?
where is a good place to get an infinity, etc?
because i dont wanna pay $15 more for 3C, and jsut want a cooler that is quiet, and can cool a 3 Ghz e4400.

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
right on brotha.

lolz.

mmk, so what cooler might you suggest i get...

and, also, ive thought that maybe getting an e4300 for $114 isnt that bad, i mean, if i oc the ram to 333, that's 9 x 333= 3 ghz vs 10 x 333, 3.33 ghz

now, what kinda of temps should i expect with a ninja, infinite, tuniq, or whatever else you recommend (other than water)? load and idle?

is the extra 300mhz really worth the extra 20 bucks, or is it jsut the assurance of a stock 2 ghz that's worth it?

oh, btw, i just ordered the arctic silver 5 for $5, only because i didnt want to spend $15 on a thermal compound, when i could spend that $10 on a better cooler.

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
how much are we talking in the difference between the ninja and the infinity/tuniq?

i mean, for a 3 ghz clockspeed, for any of the coolers, will it be in the 30's idle, and 40's load? my room is usually pretty cool

i mean, we wont be talking 50's right? cause i wanna stay outta them.

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
btw, thanks for helping pick out sh!t, im glad there are people out there that can help........... for free.

Tacos, wait, if you have a watercooling setup, overclock, etc, why dont you game a lot? you could cut through supreme commander like....

anyway. the ninja is $40 plus ship on the egg, infinite is $58 plus ship, is there anywhere else i can find the infinite for a lower price? will getting these heavy duty aftermarket coolers affect my ability to move my computer around? i know they have backplates. how hard would this installation be?

i jsut found on this one forum, that this one guy's big typhoon was running his 3 ghz e4300 at 21 idle 35 load, how can this be right. and i even see the thermaltake for $45 on newegg, would this be a better choice if it runs that cool?

EDIT: And...what are fsb ratios used for overclocking?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
You know Lion, by the time you actually pull the trigger and BUY this stuff and get it built, it will already be obsolete and time to get an 8900GTX and a C2Q 1333, right???

:)

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
lol, i know, i know. jsut wanna be sure, cause im a very frugal person. haha.

i guess the scythe coolers (either or) would be my best bet?

the tuniq weighs a lot and might bend my mobo if i move my comp around. will the scythes do that too?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Scythe's are lighter. But an absolute PAIN IN THE A$$ to install. And the Ninja doesn't have a backplate, it's the simple pushpin installation, so that worries me.....cheap plastic and could pop loose.

Want a good cooler that doesn't weigh a ton and keeps real cool and QUIET? Best kept secret: Noctua NH-U12F. Awesome. Dunno why more people don't use it. Truly. It's not as good as Tuniq obviously, but nowhere near as loud or expensive either. Very underrated. It'll be in my upcoming "Performance and Quiet: CPU Heatsink Shootout". Watch for it soon..... ;)

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, but its like $65 on xoxide? And not on newegg.

I ordered arctic silver 5, but im jsut not sure on this overclocking thing.
I mean, do you think that i can be succesful with this, getting a:

-DS3
-RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590&CMP=AFC-Bensbargains
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

-cooler:
big typhoon looks good ~$50
scythe ninja $45
tuniq tower $55

i jsut dont know which one will have the best:

-ease of installation
-move ability of the case after installation (LAN's etc)
-cost effectiveness
-quietfulnessfulness
-cooling capabilities

i mean, if i overclock an e4400 to about 3 ghz, will my temps be in the 30's idle, and 40's load?

and whats with the whole divider thing? thats basically the only part i dont get....

thanks.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Lion, you worry too much.

Any C2D and aftermarket heatsink will OC easily. Period.

Listen, finding a setup that OC's great, has great specs, is easily portable and lightweight, quiet, cool, easy to install, and cheap.....it doesn't exist. You can't have it all. Cool, quiet, and easy? Sure, but it's not cheap. Cool and light? Sure, but it's not easy.

You see the point? You are searching for the perfect combination of ALL factors....and it doesn't exist. You can't have your cake, eat, have some more for later, and keep it fresh forever all at the same time......surely you must see that???

No good heatsink will be light. Or cheap. No light heatsink will be good. Or cheap. You can't get all at the same time.

You can have Cheap, Light, and Cool. But you can only pick TWO of those. Take your pick and move on. You're spending more time on this than it's worth.

Me and Taco can suggest mobos, HSF's, CPUs, whatever til we're blue in the face. But you're overanalyzing it to death and looking for points to argue.

Just get a 4300. Or a 6300. Or a 6400. They're ALL good. And get a Ninja. Or a Tuniq. Or a Noctua. They're ALL good. Just get G.Skill. Or Corsair. Or OCZ. They're ALL good. Shall I continue?

Get whatever you can afford, and whatever is the best bang for the buck, and whatever will keep you happy. Then buy it and build it, and frickin USE IT. The way you're going, you'll never get it done and then it's all a waste of everyone's time. Because when this thing is actually decided, and ordered, and delivered....then you're gonna be spending forever asking all the nuances of how to build it. And when that's done then you're gonna spend weeks or more asking how to overclock it. Then you're gonna be asking for weeks how to tweak the OC. Then you'll spend a month debating how to juice another 0.1ghz out of it and cross some OC wall. Then when you FINALLY finish that and decide it's time to enjoy it, you'll be sitting with hardware that's a year old from when you started this back Winter 2006 and then you'll realize after all your work and time you now have a system that will be easily beat by the newest low-end/next gen stuff. And that sad realization will teach you something important in life. Hopefully. And then you'll come here and say, "Skyguy, you were RIGHT." And I'm gonna say, "Kid, now you know. Get on with life".

Pull the trigger already, you've been on this for months. Time to move on.

8)

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Lol, more than months...haha

The main reason was that class that GIVES you $600, but it has fallen through basically. :cry:

Yeah, lol, i just need to order the sh!t.

OK. Final Config. Comments Welcome.
*Final Countdown *80's song* plays in background*

-DS3
-G Skill 800 CAS 5, or Corsair 667 CAS4
-e4400
-for the cooler, which would be the safest for my motherboard? and not fall out, as ive decided that's more important than the extra -4c or 200mhz
-arctic silver 5
-antec p180
-8800gts 320 meg, or 8600gts if performance looks good
(which it doesnt so far)
-antec tp3 650watt
-samsung 225BW 1680 x 1050 22"
-any hardrive suggestions?(250 gig ish)
-dvd burner suggestions? ($35 ish)
-nice keyboard and mouse.
-decent speakers

Das ist sehr gut, ja?

now all i need to do is spend my precious money. :(

EDIT: Oh, and for the Vista install, should i get a $110 OEM, or get an Academic upgrade version that is$70, with which i can do the install ttrick to make it a full version:
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201#story1

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 w/16mb cache......320gb. A winner.

-Samsung SH-S182 DVD/RW burner. Quiet, good performance, cheap. A winner.

-G.Skill 800 gets my vote. Higher rated and cheaper than the Corsair.

-8800GTS 320 for sure. A winner.

-Noctua NH-U12F for CPU cooler. Best kept secret out there. Way lighter/smaller than Tuniq and Ninja. Better performer than Ninja, absolutely silent, not too expensive, AND it has an amazing mount that will keep it absolutely solid and won't experience problems when moving the case around. Ninja's mounting sucks badly. Tuniq is far too large and loud. Noctua is a winner.

And there ya go! Done. Now order it and Git er Done! :)