Dimension 5100 P4 630, 433Mhz DDR2 ram -Can it take Core2?

frosterrj

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Would like to swap out the P4 LGA 775 for a Core2 duo, but not sure how to tell if there are issues beyone the cpu fitting in the slot (voltages, etc). The machine has the original mobo which doesnt have a lot in the way of bios info. I dont even know if its a 3rd party mobo or home-grown Dell.

Any advice, links to HW dbs, etc. are really appreciated.

Thanks
Robert

frosterrj

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
well, calling dell = talking to some schmoe in India reading from a script with no real hardware knowledge. I know, I already tried it. Wast of f$&#ing time.

r

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Asking Dell if you can bypass them and do your own upgrade is like asking a used car salesman to tell you the real story on that car.

Yes I just compared Dell to a shady used car salesman!! And anyone who has delt with Dell's support on hardware upgrade issues knows Im right. Im glad I nver have!!

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Asking Dell if you can bypass them and do your own upgrade is like asking a used car salesman to tell you the real story on that car.

Yes I just compared Dell to a shady used car salesman!! And anyone who has delt with Dell's support on hardware upgrade issues knows Im right. Im glad I nver have!!
Asking Dell if you can upgrade to a Conroe by buying one through them will answer the question at hand. Whether you actually send them the money is something else altogether. If you find the outsourced level 1 scripted support useless, then have them switch you to level 2 support. You can get someone to provide the simple yes or no thats needed. I could have just guessed that this system will not support the lower voltage levels of a Core2duo, but why not have the OEM make it clear and offer any options they have available? Are you afraid of used car salesmen? A real "scrapper" would have fun with them...

frosterrj

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Does anyone know if the Dimensions MOBOs (5100, E520, E521, etc) are ATX form factor?

Just curious. Nothing in the documentation says what size they are.

Robert