How can I get rid of a network?

lazyboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2005
Hey guys and gals this is my first post here so I hope this is in the right place and I dont sound to useless.

I have 2 comps in my house one downstairs which is quite old and does not have a wireless card so is hardwired into my ntl set top box and a newer one upstairs with a card/adapter. I have a d-link router connected to the oldcomputer which feeds a signal to the newer one upstairs.

I wanted to get all the stuff from the old to the new so I tried to set up a file sharing network. Unfortunately I couldnt figure out how to do it and now on my new comp it shows the router in the "my network connections" so I guess there is some kind of network going on (you can see how little I know). Anyway it's making me paranoid and I wanted to get rid of it and start again.

Errr......anway let me know if this post doesnt make any sense or is just too long. Thanks for any help. CC

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What windows versions are running on each machine?

How does your NTL box connect to your old computer, USB or ethernet?

Can your new computer access the internet through your setup?

Have you run the home network setup wizards on both machines?

Have you enabled folder sharing on each folder / drive you want to share or have access to from the other computer?

lazyboy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2005
XP is running on both.

Ethernet.

Yes I already had access to the internet on both computers before I tried file sharing.

I ran the wizard on both but then i couldnt really work out what to do.

Yes but now I've just turned off file and printer sharing because I couldnt work it out.

Hope this helps.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Put the router between your set box and your computers. Connect the ethernet out from the set box to the WAN port on the router. Connect the old computer to one of the wired LAN ports on the router. Make sure both computers are configured to obtain their IP addresses automatically. On the network setup wizard, tell the wizard your computers access the internet through a home gateway device (that would be your router). Make sure both computers are members of the same workgroup.