Favorite HD channel is screwed up

It has turned out here in NYC, my favorite hd channel would turn out to be my
PBS Chnl 13-1. When I first got my set, it was perfect and that was only a year
ago. ..but the last 7,9 months it keeps breaking up, which makes it lousy to
look at. ..Why has this happened? I did nothing to my set or OTA. I even tried
to move the ota in a slight different direction, to the left of and to the
right of and no improvement, in fact, it made me lose my abc local hd. BTW, my
directv menu shows channels listed on some of them as 13-1,13-2,13-3, some
others even go as far as -4 and -5. Of course clicking on those gives me
nothing but blank screens. Why so many?
4 answers Last reply
More about favorite channel screwed

    Harri85274 wrote:
    > BTW, my
    > directv menu shows channels listed on some of them as 13-1,13-2,13-3,
    > some others even go as far as -4 and -5. Of course clicking on those
    > gives me nothing but blank screens. Why so many?

    Sometimes the local PBS will use the bandwidth to run multiple programming
    whenever there isn't High Def material to run. Smart move on their part. :)

    Brian The Demolition Man Little

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:16:53 -0500, "Brian The Demolition Man Little"
    <x@y.z> wrote:

    >Harri85274 wrote:
    >> BTW, my
    >> directv menu shows channels listed on some of them as 13-1,13-2,13-3,
    >> some others even go as far as -4 and -5. Of course clicking on those
    >> gives me nothing but blank screens. Why so many?
    >
    >Sometimes the local PBS will use the bandwidth to run multiple programming
    >whenever there isn't High Def material to run. Smart move on their part. :)
    >
    >Brian The Demolition Man Little

    I get 9, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4 and 9.5 Up until 8:00pm, only 9 carries
    regular signal. after 8:00pm, 9, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4 and 9.5 are regular
    and 9.1 is HD. I guess the use of the -x channels is up to the
    broadcaster.

    IMHO

    If you are loosing the strength of the signal to the channel, have you
    checked it? Your box should be able to let you see the strength if you have
    the channel selected when you do the test.

    If it happened slowly over a period of time and the Broadcaster did not
    change their output, I might think of 3 possible reasons, corrosion in your
    connections, something got in the way of the signal, like a tree grew higher
    (not necessarily yours), or even a weakening of your tuner.

    My last HD tuner started loosing some of its' ability to receive local
    channels and some satellite transponders. Replacing it solved the problem.
    If you are changing your OTA antenna, you might try raising it or moving it
    to another location.

    Clark

    Harri85274 wrote:
    > It has turned out here in NYC, my favorite hd channel would turn out to be my
    > PBS Chnl 13-1. When I first got my set, it was perfect and that was only a year
    > ago. ..but the last 7,9 months it keeps breaking up, which makes it lousy to
    > look at. ..Why has this happened? I did nothing to my set or OTA. I even tried
    > to move the ota in a slight different direction, to the left of and to the
    > right of and no improvement, in fact, it made me lose my abc local hd. BTW, my
    > directv menu shows channels listed on some of them as 13-1,13-2,13-3, some
    > others even go as far as -4 and -5. Of course clicking on those gives me
    > nothing but blank screens. Why so many?
    You might want to look at the channels web site. Here in DC
    I had a similar problem with one of the PBS channels. On
    there web site they had a message about them transmitting at
    a lower power for a while due to maintenance.

HDTV TV HD Home Theatre