Ready to overclock, got some BIOS setttings questions

bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hi, I finally finished baselining my system and pretty much satisfied with my level of knowledge about overclocking (after about a month of research).

I went into my BIOS to do the overclock and ran into some uncertainties. Here is what I have it set to:

AI Tuning --> Manual
CPU Frequency --> 333
DRAM Frequency --> DDR2-667MHz
PCI Express Frequency --> 100
PCI Clock Synchronous Mode --> 33.33MHz
Spread Spectrum --> Disabled
Memory Voltage --> 2.25V
CPU VCore Voltage --> 1.4000V
FSB Termination Voltage --> 1.400V
NB VCore --> Auto
SB Vcore (SATA, PCIE) --> Auto
ICH Chipest Voltage -- Auto

For some of these settings I don't know what to put, so I just went with Auto. But I'd like to know if I should leave them at auto or set them to something (and if so, what).

And also for the settings that I actually did put in a value, are they correct?

Thanks.

PS. E6600, Asus P5B-Deluxe, Crucial Ballistix 1GB x 2

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
If you're following the Overclocking Guide on this forum, then the following suggestions are mentioned (in italics):

NB VCore: Set MCH Voltage (vMCH) to 1.55V. This was the default setting on my motherboard, and lowest option available. This tends to be the most sensitive for overclocking, and often requires increasing in order to achieve stability at higher OC. However, good cooling is required on the NB to maintain good temps.

SB Vcore (SATA, PCIE): Not sure on this one. What manual options do you have available? I've seen this set to 1.60v on a P5B-E review (here), but don't quote me on that :p

ICH Chipest Voltage: Increase SB Voltage (vICH) by +0.1V from default-lowest value. I have mine set at 1.20v, but I have a different motherboard.

Regarding your memory voltage, you will either need to post more details on the specific memory you have or check the specification for your modules. I have OCZ memory, and my modules allow voltage up to 2.2v whilst still keeping within the requirements for warranty.

All your other setting seem to be as per the aforementioned guide, but again we are missing details on your memory, so I can't comment on the DRAM frequency you set.

RichPLS

Champion
I have an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi mobo and am OCng the E6600 using Corsair XMS2 DDR SPD rated timings at 5-5-5-15 TRC 30 up to 533MHz.
Anywho, I am OCng 334MHz x 9 at a 1:1 = 3,006MHz at 1.45volts with timings at 3-3-3-8 TRC25 and it is stable running TAT and Orthos and SuperPI.

AI Tuning --> Manual
CPU Frequency --> 334
DRAM Frequency --> DDR2-668MHz
PCI Express Frequency --> 100
PCI Clock Synchronous Mode --> 33.33MHz
Spread Spectrum --> Disabled
Memory Voltage --> 2.25V
CPU VCore Voltage --> 1.4500V
FSB Termination Voltage --> 1.400V
NB VCore --> 1.6
SB Vcore (SATA, PCIE) --> Auto
ICH Chipest Voltage -- Auto
memory timings at 3-3-3-8 TRC25

Questions:
Is this unusual to get such low timings from rather loose SPD programed timings?

Is there anything I should worry about?

Will the board degrade any way due to such tight timings?

I am also worried a bit about if possibly the memory might spit out more errors as a result of this setting...

A general reply.

@ op - Your settings look ok. You can do stability tests with Orthos. and make sure the ram is fine with Memtest86. Once you know you are stable you can start to turn down the settings and test again. and keep going till the lowest stable voltage is found.

@ aoe - OCZ says 2.2 +/- 5% so technically you can get 2.31 :)

@ RichPLS - Ure like a forum god what are you asking questions for? :)
You should be able to get less vcore for your speed. slowly turn it down to fine the lowest you can go. You may even get that speed at stock voltage.

For your ram, run some memtest and orthos blend testing(once you know the cpu is stable, first test the cpu @ stock ram timings)if you can get 24 hours of each you should be good.

With overclocking there is always a possibility of more errors. thats why you have to test. All parts/board OC differently.

Good luck all on the OCin

bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I am using all your settings, except the following:
memory voltage 2.00
ICH chipset voltage 1.20

My memory is 2 x 1gb OCZ 6400

31computers, do you have an E6600 and a P5B-Deluxe motherboard?

Are you using the "Auto" setting for NB VCore and SB Vcore? And are you using 1.400V for FSB Termination Voltage?

bloodandsoil

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I'm a little confused about numbers 2 and 4 from "Part 3" of the Core2Duo Overclocking Guide. It says:

2. Set MCH Voltage (vMCH) to 1.55V
4. Increase SB Voltage (vICH) by +0.1V from default-lowest value

However, in the BIOS of my Asus P5B-Deluxe, I don't see anything that strictly matches these names. And I just want to get clarity before I go messing with voltages. Here are the names verbatim from my BIOS:

NB VCore
SB VCore (SATA, PCIE)
ICH Chipset Voltage

You can see how I would be confused. In the guide, SB Voltage is referred to as vICH in the parenthesis. However, in my BIOS, SB Voltage and ICH are two seperate items. And also, NB VCore is not even mentioned in the guide, so I have no idea what to do about that.

Thanks for helping me clear this up. Much appreciated.

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Your caution is understandable.

Check this link on another forum where a number of people with the same motherboard have posted their BIOS settings for their overclocks.

bigspin

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I'm a little confused about numbers 2 and 4 from "Part 3" of the Core2Duo Overclocking Guide. It says:

2. Set MCH Voltage (vMCH) to 1.55V
4. Increase SB Voltage (vICH) by +0.1V from default-lowest value

However, in the BIOS of my Asus P5B-Deluxe, I don't see anything that strictly matches these names. And I just want to get clarity before I go messing with voltages. Here are the names verbatim from my BIOS:

NB VCore
SB VCore (SATA, PCIE)
ICH Chipset Voltage

You can see how I would be confused. In the guide, SB Voltage is referred to as vICH in the parenthesis. However, in my BIOS, SB Voltage and ICH are two seperate items. And also, NB VCore is not even mentioned in the guide, so I have no idea what to do about that.

Thanks for helping me clear this up. Much appreciated.

Superb P5B-Deluxe OC guide.
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41