Keep getting viruses before I can update xp

Robteam70

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I recently reformated the hard drive on our gateway and reinstalled windows xp on it and I'm having a problem updating xp because each time I start the windows updater I start to get viruses and adware. Pretty much as soon as I connect to the internet the comp gets infected. I'm figuring that once I get the security patches from microsoft that I won't have this problem, but what do I do when the viruses come in before my computer can even update itself online? Any help would be appreciated.

You need to get yourself a decent firewall... either software or hardware. An easier solution would be to get a CD with SP 2 slipstreamed into the installation. Windows Firewall may not be the best out there... but it will block a common virus that was going around pre SP 2.

progenitor

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
as zoron very rightly mentioned u should consider gettin a firwall and antivirus before u go online

comodo and zonealarm are decent firewalls while kaspersky is a great antivirus software ...miles ahead of norton ...besides norton makes my comp really sluggish