Sign in with
Your question

Overcoming FAT32 4GB File Size Limit?

Last response: in Windows XP
July 8, 2006 4:14:17 PM

I am still running Windows 98 and plan to upgrade to XP once Conroe is released later this month. I have several ISO's I want to burn to DVD that are in rar format. Unfortunately, the ISO file is greater than 4GB and cannot exist under the FAT32 File System. Does anyone know of a way to overcome this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
July 10, 2006 5:08:51 PM

Wait until you install XP and format your disc using NTFS instead of FAT32. Should solve your problem.
July 11, 2006 1:52:50 AM

So xp will go on the new computer not the one with 98 on it right now, correct?

Get a full version of windows and install it as an upgrade on the 98 computer. Convert the disks to ntfs and then burn them. Once new computer is built you can reformat the old 98/xp computer, reinstall 98 on it and then install xp on the new computer. This will keep you legal, if it matters to you.
December 23, 2013 4:17:34 PM

You can increase your logical sector size or your cluster size. A 4K logical sector size or cluster increases the limit to 32GB. With 64KB cluster size, the maximum file size is whopping 128GB. However, some programs and drivers still will not be able to handle large files on FAT32 even with these options.

You also need a special formatting tool to be able to use these formats. The mkdosfs utility distributed with Linuz will allow you those options.

If you don't want to use one of the nifty Linux Utility LiveCDs out there such as PartedMagic or SystemRescueCD, you can use the version of mkdosfs ported to Win32:
http://www1.mager.org/mkdosfs/

Source Code is available here:
https://github.com/jum/mkdosfs
(If you want to compile it yourself, or review the source code. The source code also includes msdosfsck, which is far better than Microsoft's utility for checking FAT32 partitions.)

As a note, this tool also allows for drives formatted in sizes over 32GB.
!