Scraping the Thermal Pad off of AC7 Pro?

Stealth_JAG

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of a computer build and just got my Arctic Cooling 7 Pro HSF. This is only my second computer build and it will be the first time I put an after market HSF on the processor. This will also be the first time I overclock a processor (Q6600). My question concerns the flat grey rough layer of Thermal material that is on the AC7 right now (which I think is called a thermal pad). I'm wondering if I should scrape it off and apply some other TIM instead.

I prefer things to be as simple as possible and am inclined to use the included thermal pad if it won't hurt performance too much. I've read on one site (can't remember which) that the thermal pad is actually made from MX1 paste which is supposed to be pretty good. However, I've also read much of Da Sick Ninja's comprehensive TIM review and get the idea the thermal paste/grease can make a difference for tempeartures. Also, many of the people posting a review of the AC7 pro on NewEgg mentioned scraping off the pad and applying AS5.

So I guess my real question is - "Is it worth it to scrape off the pad and apply some other paste/grease instead?." By "worth it", I guess I mean more than 5 degrees difference. I really appreciate any thoughts or opinions the expereinced experts in this forum can give me. Thanks.

Rob

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Thermal pad is okay and is simple but if you want a bit better heat conductor then get some AS5. I used that with my cpu, chipsets and graphics card, really good stuff or that better thermal paste from Da Sick Ninja's tests which I forgot the brand and name.

Stealth_JAG

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Thanks Guys. Thats the kind of feedback I was looking for. Sounds like I might get some marginal benefit from the paste but not enough to warrant a collosal screw-up. I think I'll take things in baby steps and just go with the thermal pad this time. Maybe next time I buy a HSF, it won't have the thermal pad already on it, and I'll get a chance to hone my TIM paste application skills then. Happy Easter and God Bless.

Rob