HELP !!!! Onboard LAN problem !!

hyperpower

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
My configuration is: Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA LGA 775 Motherboard, Intel D 915, 2x512 DDR 400, ATI Radeon 9550 256 mb 128 bit AGP, PCI tv-tunner ASUS MyCinema P7131 DUAL, 200gb SEAGATE SATA 150.
I am running Windows XP and I am able to install the 10/100 onboard LAN (VIA Rhine II), but the local area connection alway prompts "network cable is unplgged". I have tried the enable/disable bios setup command several times but no luck. I have tried several bios setups and the default settings also but still no luck. I am absolutely sure the cable is working for when i plugg it in another PC it's working. I have tried setting IP's and DNS's but won't work (obviously since I get "network cable is unplgged" wouldn't expect it to work this way ). I have used my waranty and exchanged the motherboard for another one (same model). Still the same problem. PLEASE HELP !!!!!

hyperpower

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
Obviously i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling using the drivers on the cd the motherboard came with. And yes the cable is WORKING !! already specified that...when i plug it in the computer next to it it's working perfectly fine. Could it be factory damaged physically? As i already mentioned i have used the waranty to exchange it...i got a new one..same model...same problem. Could the whole lot be faulty? Any other suggestions...not related to factory damaged?

hyperpower

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
Well i have tried mounting the components and installing windows xp again, this time haven't used the tv tunner o any other component that might influence so only the agp graphics card ...the rest was onboard. First i cleared cmos and loaded bios defaults. The onboard lan was eneabled. After windows xp installation i specifically used the drivers on the motherboard's cd for the instalation of the onboard lan. Still NO LUCK !!! I don't understand this, I am able to install it, the cable works perfectly fine if i plug it in the secondary PC i have....still i get the message " network cable unplugged " for this onboard lan. I simply cannot find any other explanation then......factory physically damaged. Can u guys think of anything else? Any other suggestions?

hyperpower

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
It's really weird.There's a problem with the cable. However the cable works only when i use the 10 Mbps setting of the LAN card. if i leave it auto or 100 Mbps the DNS settings simply won't work but the IP's are ok....it's strange...i guess the cheap onboard lan simply cannot work with this weak signal. Well the cable is 120 meters long i forgot to mention :) =)))))). My previous motherboard had a Marvell Gigabit lan...obviously better than a VIA 10/100.
Thanks.