user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newuser (More info?)

i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive
on my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful
slow. Can this be fixed ?

--
Woodzy

http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

"(ProteanThread)" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
> i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
> access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive
> on my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful
> slow. Can this be fixed ?
>

> --
> Woodzy
>
> http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
> http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

Are you sure that the XP machine doesn't have USB 1.1 and
the 2K machine USB 2.0?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

V Green wrote:
> "(ProteanThread)" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
>
>>i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
>>access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive
>>on my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful
>>slow. Can this be fixed ?
>>

>>--
>>Woodzy
>>
>>http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
>>http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )
>>

> Are you sure that the XP machine doesn't have USB 1.1 and
> the 2K machine USB 2.0?

actually its the other way around, win2k machine has usb 1.1 and xp has
2.0 (verified this)

--
Woodzy

http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newuser (More info?)

Do you need updated drivers for it?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

(ProteanThread) wrote:

> i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
> access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive
> on my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful
> slow. Can this be fixed ?

"slowness" is often due to using old drivers for the hardware.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Plato wrote:
> (ProteanThread) wrote:
>
>>i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
>>access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive
>>on my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful
>>slow. Can this be fixed ?
>

> "slowness" is often due to using old drivers for the hardware.

how can i update my usb drivers ? windows update has never told me to
update them.

--
Woodzy

http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newuser (More info?)

If the home computer is even a few years old it probably has USB 1.0. To
increase the transfer speed you will need USB 2.0. You can get a four port
USB card for about $20. Easy to install and worth the cost.

To verify your USB capabilities,
Right click on My Computer
Properties
Hardware Tab
Device Manager Button

At or near the bottom of the list double click
Universal Serial Bus Controllers
If you don't see the word enhanced in the list, you have USB 1.0

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"(ProteanThread)" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
>i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
>access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive on
>my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful slow. Can
>this be fixed ?
>

> --
> Woodzy
>
> http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
> http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

Generaly I don't update drivers recommended by Windows -
however if I'm having difficulty with a device, then I
will check for updated drivers.

xfiler

I would imagine you have a "Lexar" jump drive instead of the stated
"Lexmark". As another poster to this thread states, if your "reasonably
fast" computer has USB 2.0 and the other computer does not; there, very
likely is your answer to the access speed difference.
Gene K
"(ProteanThread)" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
>i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
>access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive on
>my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful slow. Can
>this be fixed ?
>

> --
> Woodzy
>
> http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
> http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newuser (More info?)

That should be "Lexar" and not "Lexmark".

What model of Lexar Jump Drive?

> Harry Ohrn wrote:
> > Do you need updated drivers for it?
> >

> how can i update my usb drivers ? windows update has never told me to
> update them.
>
> --
> Woodzy

The Windows Update Site is not reliable when it comes to drivers. Visit the
Lexmark site and see if there are updated drivers available.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Yves Leclerc wrote:
> That should be "Lexar" and not "Lexmark".
>
> What model of Lexar Jump Drive?
>

> "(ProteanThread)" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
>
>>i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
>>access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive on
>>my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful slow. Can
>>this be fixed ?
>>

>>--
>>Woodzy
>>
>>http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
>>http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

sorr, should be lexar; its a 128 meg media drive w/secure feature.

--
Woodzy

http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newuser (More info?)

If the Jump Drive is not USB 2.0, connecting it to a USB 2.0 port will not
increase the speed.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> If the home computer is even a few years old it probably has USB 1.0. To
> increase the transfer speed you will need USB 2.0. You can get a four port
> USB card for about $20. Easy to install and worth the cost.
>
> To verify your USB capabilities,
> Right click on My Computer
> Properties
> Hardware Tab
> Device Manager Button
>
> At or near the bottom of the list double click
> Universal Serial Bus Controllers
> If you don't see the word enhanced in the list, you have USB 1.0
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
>

> "(ProteanThread)" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
>>i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
>>access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive on
>>my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful slow.
>>Can this be fixed ?
>>

>> --
>> Woodzy
>>
>> http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
>> http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newuser (More info?)

You should check the manufacturer's website for the latest XP compatible
drivers for the drive.

--

> Yves Leclerc wrote:
>> That should be "Lexar" and not "Lexmark".
>>
>> What model of Lexar Jump Drive?
>>

>> "(ProteanThread)" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
>>>access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive
>>>on my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful slow.
>>>Can this be fixed ?
>>>

>>>--
>>>Woodzy
>>>
>>>http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
>>>http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )
>>>

> sorr, should be lexar; its a 128 meg media drive w/secure feature.
>

> --
> Woodzy
>
> http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
> http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

It's not the USB drivers you need to check, it's the drivers for the jump
drive that need to be checked. You may find updated drivers for the jump
drive at the jump drive manufacturer's website.

--

> Plato wrote:
>> (ProteanThread) wrote:
>>
>>>i have a lexmark jump drive, when I use it on my windows 2K machine R/W
>>>access is reasonably fast; however, when I use the same removable drive
>>>on my windows XP (home) computer, access to the drive is god aweful
>>>slow. Can this be fixed ?
>>

>> "slowness" is often due to using old drivers for the hardware.
>

> how can i update my usb drivers ? windows update has never told me to
> update them.
>
> --
> Woodzy
>
> http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
> http://o.webring.com/hub?ring=awrbr ( AbandonWarez ring )

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newuser (More info?)

You're welcome, hope it helps.