how to use wine?

_SunTzu_

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
i downloaded "wine" from winehq.com, i read the guide from top to bottom and cant manage to start any .exe application. i hope if anyone can help me on how to use if there are other similar programs.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Firstly, I am assuming you downloaded the RPM and installed that with no error. If that is the case, have you run one of the WINE configuration tools? If not, open a terminal, make sure you're in your home directory, then type "winecfg". Follow the prompts and answer the questions to the best of your knowledge (you can always re-run it to change the setup).

If all this has been done, try typing in the command "wine notepad". This should open the built-in notepad program.

If there are any error messages, post them. Also, what are you trying to install/use in WINE?

_SunTzu_

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
yes i downloaded the .rpm file installed it and run it using the terminal and the "winecfg" command, it didnt ask me anythin though (maybe its a different version cz mine is 0.9.16),
anyway i typed wine notepad in the terminal and a notepad opened with no error, but the thing is how can i use it to open other applications, for example i want to install adobephotoshop cs2 from a cd, i cant figure out how to start the setup.
And answering your question, i want to use it for some programs like photoshop, dreamweaver, autocad and some games of course:p

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
What you want to do to install the programs would be along these lines

1) Mount the CD drive (with SuSE, just insert the disk, the disc will automount)

2) Find the the location on the installer on the CD, will likely be something like "/media/cdrom/autorun.exe"

3) Run "wine /media/cdrom/autorun.exe". It may work, or it may require downloading/copying some dll's. Check the Wine AppDB for tips and/or known issues with the target application. Also, Googling will often bring up nice HowTo's for popular applications.

If you want a solid solution but not free, try Crossover Office. I've used it to install Office and Photoshop 7.

_SunTzu_

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
hey thnx, i managed to get the adobe photoshop installer running but after i choose where i want to install it(i left it on default, in c:program filesadobe... ) and all the modules i want and everything i pressed installed, the installer said that an error occurred.

and on the terminal where i originally opened the installer gave me this message maybe it would mean somthing to you.

err:msi:msi_dialog_bitmap_control Failed to load bitmap (null)
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"AMT_WriteRemoveFileEntry" returned 1603
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1603
fixme:msi:msi_dialog_set_control_condition Unhandled action L"Default"
fixme:msi:msi_dialog_set_control_condition Unhandled action L"Default"

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Like I had said, there are likely to be some issues getting things rolling. I would suggest reading up on either the corresponding WineHQ AppDB page (especially for the version of Photoshop you are trying to install and the OS) and googling around a bit. I kept finding instructions similar to this for installing Photoshop, it is a standard method to get some apps up and running that won't install but oddly enough run fine.

TRENDING THREADS