Pentium D 3.4 Heat Problem

z_dori

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
hi,
i have a problem with the heat in my PC.
the core is always at 40C, even when i turn OFF the Smart FAN (=max fan speed all the time).
the pc is rather new, 3-4 months, no dust at all!
i'm using the stock fan. gigabyte MB, 945P-G-RH. NO OVERCLOCK feature is on!

when i play CNC GENERALS!!! (1600X1200, max detail) the CPU reach 60C and start to beep! even when i go to 800X600!

i read in Intel's article last night about this, it says it sould work at 39C, this is the perpus of the smart fan- allways to keep the cpu at the temp.

yesterday i open EASYTUNE 5, to see the temp of the core, while playing. the min temp, when i'm using windows- nothing is on! is 40C!.
when loading a game- 55C!

Is anithing wrong with the cpu/fan/bios?
how can i test is?
what can i do beside buying a fan (her in israel it's very expancive... a simple fan for P-D const ~50$, approx X2 from the US$ Price in the net...)

thanks!
Dor.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Totally normal for a PentiumD. But for solving your heat problems, make sure that you have good air circulation in your case; at least a couple of 80 mm fans.

P.S: Just for curiosity; with all the superior performance, cool operation and prices of Core2s and Athlon64 X2s, what the heck can still lead someone to chose the worst option at all; a Pentium D?!

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I know your pain, dude. :cry: DAMN IT, I NEED A CORE 2 DUO! >:O

Anyway, 40*C and 60*C are fine for idle and load temps respectively, for a Pentium D. They run quite hot compared to other CPUs.

You're absolutely fine!

P.S: Just for curiosity; with all the superior performance, cool operation and prices of Core2s and Athlon64 X2s, what the heck can still lead someone to chose the worst option at all; a Pentium D?!

I got an excuse--my one was $70 cheaper than the E6300, and my budget was really tight! :twisted: :twisted:

Still, it's coming back to bite me in the ass. :[

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I got an excuse--my one was $70 cheaper than the E6300, and my budget was really tight! :twisted: :twisted:
You could have gone with a X2 and solved your budget problem and overclocking it you can get up to a mid-range Core2 performance.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
You could have gone with a X2 and solved your budget problem and overclocking it you can get up to a mid-range Core2 performance.

But I've always planned to upgrade to Core 2 when the time was right (around now or when the cheap Q6600s come out).

Also, I'm not that familiar with the technical aspects of AMD overclocking. :/

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Well, more or less both AMD and Intel have pretty good upgrade paths now and OC-in them is more or less identical, especially now that the clock speeds and multipliers are more similar.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I've noticed that AMD CPUs do not have the OC headroom that Intel processors have.

For example, even the old Pentium 4s had around a 800MHz OC headroom, while the Core 2 Duos have around 1200MHz OV headroom before becoming unstable. Heck, this PD 925 is overclocked by 1000MHz.

I'm just more familiar with Intel, at least when it comes to overclocking and technical problems. However, a cheap home office/family PC with an X2 3600+ is just too hard to resist!

z_dori

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Totally normal for a PentiumD. But for solving your heat problems, make sure that you have good air circulation in your case; at least a couple of 80 mm fans.

4 months ago, the P.D. e6300 (1.8GHZ) was 70% over this CPU....
here is israel the prices are very expancive...
compering with us dollars, a 2000$ sys at USA price, here in Israel is like 4G-5G......
8800GTX for ex. cost here 4000-5000 shekels= 1000-1200 $.....

to go back to the subject-
i read an intel 120 pages long article about it, it says the die temp is 63-68.
if the pc is beeping = 60C! it's very close to the die temp. & very far from the optimal temp.
not to be rude or anything but, how can you say that 60 is fine?!?

what about bios options-
it has EIST & something else that reduce (put the cpu in C1 State :? )core & FSB speed to get to the optimal temp.
one prob. with it- the WINXP don't start when it is Enabled..... ?!?!?!? :?

i tryied working with an open case... still the same temp......

p.s. if anyone wants i can send the intel pdf file....

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I've noticed that AMD CPUs do not have the OC headroom that Intel processors have.

For example, even the old Pentium 4s had around a 800MHz OC headroom, while the Core 2 Duos have around 1200MHz OV headroom before becoming unstable. Heck, this PD 925 is overclocked by 1000MHz.

I'm just more familiar with Intel, at least when it comes to overclocking and technical problems. However, a cheap home office/family PC with an X2 3600+ is just too hard to resist!
:lol: Haven't you understood this yet; OC-ing headroom, like processing power, is not measured in GHz but in percentage; If you got an entry level P4 from 2.8GHz to 3.6GHz (your +800MHz) you only got 28% while a 1.8Ghz A64 3000+ @ a very common 2.5GHz (+700MHz) gives you almost 39% of boost.
(VERY PAINFULLY) pushing the PD925 to 4GHz only gives you +33% while a 2.7GHz, air cooled X2 3800+ gives +35%; just think about it :wink:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
4 months ago (as even today), the X2 4200+ and maybe even the X2 4600+ were cheaper than a 3.4GHz Pentium D and even the AMD boards are cheaper. Man, in a country with such high temps as yours, I would make illegal importing Pentium 4 and Pentium D CPUs because they are so hot that on stock settings they'd all end up like yours :lol:

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
If you're using the stock Intel heat sink, that could be the problem. From what I've read they didn't seem up to the challenge of cooling the hot Netburst chips.

If you've got high ambient temps, it'll be even harder for the stock cooler to work properly.

I don't know what to tell you...my C2D E4300 shoulders up 55C read in BIOS (TAT reporting 72C in the cores) and I don't have any problems. Intels usually withstand heat decently.

z_dori

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
4 months ago (as even today), the X2 4200+ and maybe even the X2 4600+ were cheaper than a 3.4GHz Pentium D and even the AMD boards are cheaper. Man, in a country with such high temps as yours, I would make illegal importing Pentium 4 and Pentium D CPUs because they are so hot that on stock settings they'd all end up like yours :lol:

what can i say man.... so it's a positive think that you are not it the "decisions makeing sit".... :) .
meanwhile, we have 4 Intel CPU factories & Developments centers...
check to see... most of the new features in Intel CPU's come from their development centers here... the one's i know of 100% is the MMX, & Centrino & Centrino Due.

so- even if we didn't wanted to... intel is in control over the CPU market here....

secondly, the pc is my friend's & he doesn't like AMD.... (his money... his choice... i just built the sys).

so i guess & hope the the solution is a new & improved CPU fan. i will add 3 8mm fans that i have here... hope that will work.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
what can i say man.... so it's a positive think that you are not it the "decisions makeing sit".... :) .
meanwhile, we have 4 Intel CPU factories & Developments centers...
check to see... most of the new features in Intel CPU's come from their development centers here... the one's i know of 100% is the MMX, & Centrino & Centrino Due.
I am not talking about the Core2; that is different. It's the PentiumD's that really suck and your teams have nothing to do with it :wink:

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
hi,
the core is always at 40C, even when i turn OFF the Smart FAN (=max fan speed all the time).
the pc is rather new, 3-4 months, no dust at all!
i'm using the stock fan. gigabyte MB, 945P-G-RH. NO OVERCLOCK feature is on!

when i play CNC GENERALS!!! (1600X1200, max detail) the CPU reach 60C and start to beep! even when i go to 800X600!

i read in Intel's article last night about this, it says it sould work at 39C, this is the perpus of the smart fan- allways to keep the cpu at the temp.

yesterday i open EASYTUNE 5, to see the temp of the core, while playing. the min temp, when i'm using windows- nothing is on! is 40C!.
when loading a game- 55C!
I wouldn't worry too much about those temperatures. My Pentium 4 has run at those temperatures and it's still working fine (or at least as well as it ever did). The smart fan thing turns the fan down when the temp falls below 40C but it has no prayer of holding the temp at 40 C under load.

You should be able to change the temperature alarm point in BIOS. I think 60C is the most conservative you can set it to. Also, Intel has a thermal protection where the system underclocks the CPU if it starts to get too hot.

A few no cost things to check:
1) are the fans blowing air in the proper direction? Hang some tissue in front to check.
2) Is your cabling job neat? Getting cables out of the airflow can help.
3) Are there any filters on the fans? If so, clean them or remove them.
4) Is the processor seated squarely? If you re-seat, use a better thermal compound such as arctic silver 5.
5) Can you lower the temperature in the room?
6) Are you certain that the cpu voltage has not been set higher than default, unbeknownst to you?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most likely, your VGA card is generating lots of heat which is raising the internal case temperature. Is the vga cooler the type which expells the hot air out the back of the case? If not, can you get one? Can you get a cheap slot cooler to put under the VGA card? They only cost $3 or $4 here. With the case open, direct an electric fan at the opening, this will almost certainly lower the internal case temperature to near ambient. If the CPU still runs hot, then check the seating of the cooler again.
---good luck---

As others have said, the pentiums run hot, but they can handle it up to a point.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007

:lol: Haven't you understood this yet; OC-ing headroom, like processing power, is not measured in GHz but in percentage; If you got an entry level P4 from 2.8GHz to 3.6GHz (your +800MHz) you only got 28% while a 1.8Ghz A64 3000+ @ a very common 2.5GHz (+700MHz) gives you almost 39% of boost.
(VERY PAINFULLY) pushing the PD925 to 4GHz only gives you +33% while a 2.7GHz, air cooled X2 3800+ gives +35%; just think about it :wink:

Hm... That's a new way of spinning things. To be honest, I've never thought of things that way, and I've been OCing [Intel] for a few years! Thanks, man.

But, this just makes Core 2 Duo more impressive! :twisted: XD

to go back to the subject-
i read an intel 120 pages long article about it, it says the die temp is 63-68.
if the pc is beeping = 60C! it's very close to the die temp. & very far from the optimal temp.
not to be rude or anything but, how can you say that 60 is fine?!?

You said that you idle at 40*C and load at 40*C, right? That's completely fine!

Besides, silicon dies (in CPUs) don't start turning into mush until they start reaching the 70-80*C area.

BTW--try turning on SpeedStep and C1E in the BIOS and in Windows:
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/desktop/processor/processors/core2duo/tech/203838.htm

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006

But I've always planned to upgrade to Core 2 when the time was right (around now or when the cheap Q6600s come out).

Also, I'm not that familiar with the technical aspects of AMD overclocking. :/

InteliotInside said:

well that was dumb now wasn't it? you have a 945 board.. they over clock like poo! good luck with this plan

z_dori

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
i noticed that the OC feature is very common. my friends doesn't want to OC. but can we turn on the MIB 2 & CIA 2 Featute of the gigabyte?
it says at the fastest option it overclocks the sys about 15%-17% when the load is needed. offcourse now it's pritty not good because of the temp. but after he'll buy a new fan....

does anyone uses these options?!

about the EIST- i didn't know it is speed step... i know it from my laptop, & there it calls speed step. i will enable it... i'm going to check things now.... returning with some results.....

thanks guys...............................

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Thermalright Ultra-120 will cool that baby down, I know I got the 840 myself and it's hot! Now running 4Ghz @1.55vcore on water cooling. Even the best heatsink fan can't cool it down when it comes to overclocking.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
hi,
thanks!
Dor.
From what I can tell, you have a problem with the BEEP in your PC.
No performance issues are mentioned.
No BSOD, system lock, crashes or even slowdowns (throttling).
The temps you list are not dangerous to the cpu.
Fix the beep. Raise the high temp warning threshold to 70.
If your Intel system monitor shows other temps as too high, then an extra case fan may help. That cpu is simply going to run hot.

z_dori

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
i didn't mentioned problems exc. the beeping, coz we had crashes but i think there were from a bad WinXP cd installation.

i installed at saturday a new Win From my original CD. the only crack was AntiWAPA & Genuine tool so i hope that the crashes are gone.... i checked the RAM & CPU Cash with MS Mem Test Tool. no errors at all in the extended test.

the crashes was even when the WORD & Soliter was on....

P.S.
I rose the Bios's Warning to 70C after i tested the PC, after the new Win installtion, with the turturer while running BF1942 @ Max Res & Detail. beeped all the time...=60C with no errors so i rose the bios to 70C, & the EasyTune Warning to 65C. but i think i'm gonna change it to 62C.

thanks guys...