Microsoft Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

Bolero

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
Thanks,

You are right......I shouldn't have installed it.

Didn't know what it was until I did.

I appreciate the link. Thank you for responding.

;-)

Bolero

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
My understanding is that it's a new update that checks if you have a valid version of windows.

After it determines that and you have it installed it sends your IP address to Microsoft everytime you log on........whether your IP address is valid or not.

Therefore I guess if you have an illegal copy then they can monitor how much you log on and use it. I don't see the point for valid copies like mine though and there is some question over the data they source from your PC. Some speculate it can be more than just your IP address.

I just don't like the idea of it and them using it potentially in the future to gather information from my PC.

They won't allow you to download any software from their website unless they have validated your copy of Windows. This includes their current beta software: Windows Defender, Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11.

Even if you manage to install a "crack" that will allow to download from the MS website, the programs still will not install unless your copy of Windows has been validated.

As for the whole IP monitoring thing... I'm not sure they do that... I suppose it's possible, but it's mainly to discourage people from using "illegal" copies of Windows by disallowing them access to certain programs / features they may want.

Bolero

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
They won't allow you to download any software from their website unless they have validated your copy of Windows. This includes their current beta software: Windows Defender, Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11.

Even if you manage to install a "crack" that will allow to download from the MS website, the programs still will not install unless your copy of Windows has been validated.

As for the whole IP monitoring thing... I'm not sure they do that... I suppose it's possible, but it's mainly to discourage people from using "illegal" copies of Windows by disallowing them access to certain programs / features they may want.

It's not only possible but it is happening. The validation tool is reporting to microsoft each time you log on whether or not your copy is valid. I think it's fair they block people from having access to application if they don't have an original copy of the program but I would prefer it not to be installed.

The way they went about getting us to install it was quite misleading and I for one don't trust them.

I have uninstalled it anyway.

But that still doesn't let you install programs or other items downloaded from MS's website.

:p

All it does is shut down the pesky tray thing from bugging you. Yes, Windows Update will work fine, but that's about it. That's why I finally decided to go legit... I was sick of having to patch it every other day.

It disables the online portion of the check when you're downloading files, but when you attempt to install something like Windows Defender (for example), it detects that your copy of Windows isn't genuine and it won't install...

Same goes for IE 7 Beta and WMP 11 Beta.

There is still something in the registry that tells the software your Windows isn't genuine.