Sign in with
Your question

Problem booting computer

Last response: in Motherboards
April 7, 2007 4:11:28 PM

I was swapping one of my computers over to a rackmount chassis this morning and ran into a problem when I tried starting it in the new case.

When I plug the power cable into the back of the power supply, and turn the switch on on the back of the computer, the computer automatically boots up. I never get any video on the monitor, but after a random number of seconds you can here that the fans have lost power, and begin slowing down. If I turn the power switch off and back on, the only fans that spin are one in the power supply, and the one on the northbridge, and only for a second. If I let it sit for a while, all of the fans will spin, but then again lose power.

First off, I kept myself grounded though the whole procedure, I triple checked the stand off locations before I installed the motherboard in the new case.

Nothing has been changed component wise in the computer yet. I just removed my video/pci cards and moved the MB to the other case, and still using the original power supply.

I have taken the MB out of the case and it still fails to boot. Non-essential items have been removed from the motherboard or unhooked from the power supply. Also tried one stick of ram at a time. I am going to try another power supply from another computer as soon as I am able to shut it down.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Computer specs below.

Athlon 64 3400+
ECS KN1 Lite
2GB DDR 400
Gigabyte 7300GT
TTGI 480W
April 7, 2007 4:14:16 PM

Quote:
I was swapping one of my computers over to a rackmount chassis this morning and ran into a problem when I tried starting it in the new case.

When I plug the power cable into the back of the power supply, and turn the switch on on the back of the computer, the computer automatically boots up. I never get any video on the monitor, but after a random number of seconds you can here that the fans have lost power, and begin slowing down. If I turn the power switch off and back on, the only fans that spin are one in the power supply, and the one on the northbridge, and only for a second. If I let it sit for a while, all of the fans will spin, but then again lose power.

First off, I kept myself grounded though the whole procedure, I triple checked the stand off locations before I installed the motherboard in the new case.

Nothing has been changed component wise in the computer yet. I just removed my video/pci cards and moved the MB to the other case, and still using the original power supply.

I have taken the MB out of the case and it still fails to boot. Non-essential items have been removed from the motherboard or unhooked from the power supply. Also tried one stick of ram at a time. I am going to try another power supply from another computer as soon as I am able to shut it down.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Computer specs below.

Athlon 64 3400+
ECS KN1 Lite
2GB DDR 400
Gigabyte 7300GT
TTGI 480W

Have you tried resetting the CMOS jumper? Unplug the PSU and remove the battery when you reset the jumper.
April 7, 2007 4:16:27 PM

I forgot to mention that, but yes I did. First thing I tried too.
!