Problem booting computer

extremefire

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I was swapping one of my computers over to a rackmount chassis this morning and ran into a problem when I tried starting it in the new case.

When I plug the power cable into the back of the power supply, and turn the switch on on the back of the computer, the computer automatically boots up. I never get any video on the monitor, but after a random number of seconds you can here that the fans have lost power, and begin slowing down. If I turn the power switch off and back on, the only fans that spin are one in the power supply, and the one on the northbridge, and only for a second. If I let it sit for a while, all of the fans will spin, but then again lose power.

First off, I kept myself grounded though the whole procedure, I triple checked the stand off locations before I installed the motherboard in the new case.

Nothing has been changed component wise in the computer yet. I just removed my video/pci cards and moved the MB to the other case, and still using the original power supply.

I have taken the MB out of the case and it still fails to boot. Non-essential items have been removed from the motherboard or unhooked from the power supply. Also tried one stick of ram at a time. I am going to try another power supply from another computer as soon as I am able to shut it down.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Computer specs below.

Athlon 64 3400+
ECS KN1 Lite
2GB DDR 400
Gigabyte 7300GT
TTGI 480W

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I was swapping one of my computers over to a rackmount chassis this morning and ran into a problem when I tried starting it in the new case.

When I plug the power cable into the back of the power supply, and turn the switch on on the back of the computer, the computer automatically boots up. I never get any video on the monitor, but after a random number of seconds you can here that the fans have lost power, and begin slowing down. If I turn the power switch off and back on, the only fans that spin are one in the power supply, and the one on the northbridge, and only for a second. If I let it sit for a while, all of the fans will spin, but then again lose power.

First off, I kept myself grounded though the whole procedure, I triple checked the stand off locations before I installed the motherboard in the new case.

Nothing has been changed component wise in the computer yet. I just removed my video/pci cards and moved the MB to the other case, and still using the original power supply.

I have taken the MB out of the case and it still fails to boot. Non-essential items have been removed from the motherboard or unhooked from the power supply. Also tried one stick of ram at a time. I am going to try another power supply from another computer as soon as I am able to shut it down.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Computer specs below.

Athlon 64 3400+
ECS KN1 Lite
2GB DDR 400
Gigabyte 7300GT
TTGI 480W

Have you tried resetting the CMOS jumper? Unplug the PSU and remove the battery when you reset the jumper.