Replacing my Asus P5N32-E SLi Plus, in dire need of advice

Siw

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
Hi everyone.

Been lurking at this forum for a few years without ever posting, but now I have a little decision to make which I could really use some advice on.

Recently built a new system, consisting of:

- Intel Core Duo E6600 CPU
- 2 X 1 GB OCZ PC2 7200 Platinum XTC SLI-ready DDR2 RAM.
- Corsair CMPSU-620HXEU, 620 W PSU
- Club3D Geforce 8800 GTX GPU
- Asus P5N32-E Plus Motherboard
- Noctua NH-U9F CPU Heatsink + Fan
- Lian Li PC6070B Case (Scandinavian version w/ 3 120 mm silent fans instead of the 90 mm ones)
- Running 64 bit Vista BE, all drivers, utilities and BIOS up to date.

Now, I've been very fond of Asus motherboards last 5 years or so, but this time I am not happy.

As usual, I wanted to do some moderate OCing, but this motherboard just gets so incredibly hot... And not only does it get too hot (even at stock speeds and low load), but I am also displeased with the on-board sound as I get a lot of noise/interference on it.

In additon, not all of the Asus utilities work well with my OS, but that isn't really a huge issue for me.

I think the case shouldn't really be a problem, airflow seems ok (although I am not an expert), and the Noctuna Cooler really does work wonders on my CPU temp. On the other hand, the 8800 GTX seem to add a lot to the heat problem...

Anyway, I managed to get a nasty scratch on the PCB when I had to pry off the adhesive backplate of my previous CPU cooler, a Schyte Katana. Now if I had known that thing would get so incredibly stuck, I would neeeever have used it in the first place, but oh well. Live and learn :p

I realize a water cooled system, or perhaps another cooling solution for my GPU and/or northbridge/southbridge probably would help, but if possible I really would like to avoid it (this woman, as you probably can tell, is a bit clumsy at times..).

So, I need to get a new motherboard after that little stroke of genius.
Not too sad about it as I wasn't really happy in the first place.

But I am really not sure what I should get.

Yes, I have done my searches and read a zillion reviews of different boards, but I am having such a hard time deciding what to get.

Originally I wanted a 680i board at least, as they are supposed to be the best enthusiast boards at the moment. Guess the non plus version of the P5N32-E (the one with the 680i) probably won't run much cooler than the PLUS one. Perhaps the Striker has some better cooling, but I am not too keen on paying a lot of extra dosh for some bling (fancy LEDs etc). Advice appreciated.

I was thinking maybe the new MSI P6N Diamond would be an option?
Lovely on-board sound, but a bit pricey.

That being said, after reading a few comparisons between 680i, 975X and 965 boards, my doubts increased.

Would I really lose a lot of performance for my particular system by choosing a 975X board like the AW9D-MAX or the MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition instead of a 680i board? Or perhaps even a 965 board like the Asus P5B Deluxe would do?

For the record, I don't plan on getting another 8800 GTX anytime soon, so although having SLI is a plus (just in case), it's not a must. Also, I don't have any IDE devices.

I guess what I'm really asking is, what would be the perfect mobo for me? :p

Would the extra cost for a 680i really be worth it, and do they all get that hot? I don't mind paying for performance, but there has got to be some real difference, making it worth the extra cost.

If going for a an intel chipset board, would the old flagship, the 975X be the best choice, or will the newer mid-range 965 do (I know it has a nice improved southbridge) ?

Seems the more I read the more confused I get.

I apologize for asking a question that has been asked a thousand times before, but if anyone has some advice about choice of motherboard, better cooling, and experiences with similar systems, I would appreciate hearing from you.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hi everyone.

Been lurking at this forum for a few years without ever posting, but now I have a little decision to make which I could really use some advice on.

Recently built a new system, consisting of:

- Intel Core Duo E6600 CPU
- 2 X 1 GB OCZ PC2 7200 Platinum XTC SLI-ready DDR2 RAM.
- Corsair CMPSU-620HXEU, 620 W PSU
- Club3D Geforce 8800 GTX GPU
- Asus P5N32-E Plus Motherboard
- Noctua NH-U9F CPU Heatsink + Fan
- Lian Li PC6070B Case (Scandinavian version w/ 3 120 mm silent fans instead of the 90 mm ones)
- Running 64 bit Vista BE, all drivers, utilities and BIOS up to date.

Now, I've been very fond of Asus motherboards last 5 years or so, but this time I am not happy.

As usual, I wanted to do some moderate OCing, but this motherboard just gets so incredibly hot... And not only does it get too hot (even at stock speeds and low load), but I am also displeased with the on-board sound as I get a lot of noise/interference on it.

In additon, not all of the Asus utilities work well with my OS, but that isn't really a huge issue for me.

I think the case shouldn't really be a problem, airflow seems ok (although I am not an expert), and the Noctuna Cooler really does work wonders on my CPU temp. On the other hand, the 8800 GTX seem to add a lot to the heat problem...

Anyway, I managed to get a nasty scratch on the PCB when I had to pry off the adhesive backplate of my previous CPU cooler, a Schyte Katana. Now if I had known that thing would get so incredibly stuck, I would neeeever have used it in the first place, but oh well. Live and learn :p

I realize a water cooled system, or perhaps another cooling solution for my GPU and/or northbridge/southbridge probably would help, but if possible I really would like to avoid it (this woman, as you probably can tell, is a bit clumsy at times..).

So, I need to get a new motherboard after that little stroke of genius.
Not too sad about it as I wasn't really happy in the first place.

But I am really not sure what I should get.

Yes, I have done my searches and read a zillion reviews of different boards, but I am having such a hard time deciding what to get.

Originally I wanted a 680i board at least, as they are supposed to be the best enthusiast boards at the moment. Guess the non plus version of the P5N32-E (the one with the 680i) probably won't run much cooler than the PLUS one. Perhaps the Striker has some better cooling, but I am not too keen on paying a lot of extra dosh for some bling (fancy LEDs etc). Advice appreciated.

I was thinking maybe the new MSI P6N Diamond would be an option?
Lovely on-board sound, but a bit pricey.

That being said, after reading a few comparisons between 680i, 975X and 965 boards, my doubts increased.

Would I really lose a lot of performance for my particular system by choosing a 975X board like the AW9D-MAX or the MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition instead of a 680i board? Or perhaps even a 965 board like the Asus P5B Deluxe would do?

For the record, I don't plan on getting another 8800 GTX anytime soon, so although having SLI is a plus (just in case), it's not a must. Also, I don't have any IDE devices.

I guess what I'm really asking is, what would be the perfect mobo for me? :p

Would the extra cost for a 680i really be worth it, and do they all get that hot? I don't mind paying for performance, but there has got to be some real difference, making it worth the extra cost.

If going for a an intel chipset board, would the old flagship, the 975X be the best choice, or will the newer mid-range 965 do (I know it has a nice improved southbridge) ?

Seems the more I read the more confused I get.

I apologize for asking a question that has been asked a thousand times before, but if anyone has some advice about choice of motherboard, better cooling, and experiences with similar systems, I would appreciate hearing from you.

I have the P5B Deluxe running since last fall with an e6600. Recently I bought the ASUS P5B-VM 965G micro with onboard video. The board was lacking in performance, mainly BIOS adjustments for any overclocking at all, so I returned it. I still needed a micro board for my plan of moving my e6600 out of my P5B Deluxe in anticipipation of aquiring a q6600 for that board. I considered Gigabyte, Intel and MSI and others. I did the research for the replacement for the dumped ASUS P5B-VN micro 965G. I think the Gigabyte boards offered my best alternatives. Then from reading online manuals I noticed the Gigabyte boards had an Award BIOS. I wasn't sure I wanted to go back there. Probably would have turned out fine. I ended up back at ASUS and bought the P5B-VM DO with the 965Q chipset. I'll be gathering the parts to asemble it over the next coupole of weeks. Back to ASUS in the end after all that research.

The P5B Deluxe with the 1004 BIOS update will support 1066 mhz. FSB. I have no heat problems with a Zalman 9500 and a lot of case fans to support the passive chipset cooling. The P5B Deluxe can be had for a fair price these days. The 965 chipset performs as well if not better than the 975 boards in many articles I have read. Should do you well if you decide to go with it.