shadow300z

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Hey all,

I am having a frequent crash problem in WOW. It happens at random times and I get a BSOD describing kmixer.sys as the culprit.

I ran Memtest for about 11 hours and didn't get any errors, and I have also been playing Prey and Battlefield 2 which doesn't cause any problems either.

Setup:
Epox 8RDNA3I Nforce 2 MOBO
Geforce 6800 AGP
1GB Mixed Ram(Memtested multiple times and all work together fine).
Audigy 2 Pro

I think that should be the main stuff, I just did a fresh XP install about a month ago and have plenty of paging space.

Anyone seen this problem before?

kmixer.sys to me points to a sound driver conflict. I had a similar problem with my vid card drivers and WoW at one point. There was a certain version of the Catalyst drivers WoW simply didn't like and the computer would randomly lock up or the screen would simply go black.

This didn't seem to happen as much or at all with other games. I'd look for an updated sound driver if I were in your situation.

shadow300z

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Well after installing every different possible driver for every piece of hardware on my system, I finally decided to start pulling RAM out. Apparently that was the culprit! Even though I had perfect memtest scores it cured my crashes and I can WOW all night long!

Hope this helps someone.