using a rear projection HDTV as a computer monitor

Greetings!

We are currently in the market for a rear projection HDTV. The one so
far we like the most is Sony's KDF-60XS955 but we are also considering
the KDF-60XBR950.
I am very unfamiliar with the technical details about the types of
inputs these TV's take but would I be able to use this TV as a
computer monitor as well? Not as a full time monitor, but I have my
computers already set up through a kvm box so I would use the TV
together with a set of wireless mouse and keyboard as an additional
console.

From the TV's specs I see it supports the following inputs:
7 A/V inputs, including:
4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
(accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
1 rear-panel DVI with HDCP copy protection

Will I be able to do this right away? Would I need any special video
card, cables or converters?

Thank you very much.
Cori.
1 answer Last reply
More about using rear projection hdtv computer monitor

    www.avsforum.com has many postings on the subject of computers and HDTV
    sets. For your situation, look in a thread like,
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=461076 - Sony GWIV
    & HTPC Computer (60XS955) in the Read Projection Units forum or in the Home
    Theater Computers forum at
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=26.

    YMMV

    --
    "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
    - Anon
    "Cori Stepan" <coristepan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings!
    >
    > We are currently in the market for a rear projection HDTV. The one so
    > far we like the most is Sony's KDF-60XS955 but we are also considering
    > the KDF-60XBR950.
    > I am very unfamiliar with the technical details about the types of
    > inputs these TV's take but would I be able to use this TV as a
    > computer monitor as well? Not as a full time monitor, but I have my
    > computers already set up through a kvm box so I would use the TV
    > together with a set of wireless mouse and keyboard as an additional
    > console.
    >
    > From the TV's specs I see it supports the following inputs:
    > 7 A/V inputs, including:
    > 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
    > 4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
    > 2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
    > (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
    > 1 rear-panel DVI with HDCP copy protection
    >
    > Will I be able to do this right away? Would I need any special video
    > card, cables or converters?
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    > Cori.

HDTV TV Monitors Home Theatre