Two administrators needed?

When I first ran my new Windows XP install, it asked me to create an
Administrator account. Later, I created a user account for myself with
administrator rights. Then I learned that is not a good idea (general use of
the computer with admin rights) but XP won't let me change the rights in my
account to limited. It says there must be one user account with admin
rights. But what about the Administrator account I made at first? I have two
accounts with admin rights! I'm trying to keep things simple. Any ideas?

Boatman
4 answers Last reply
More about administrators needed

    Who said it's not a good idea to have your account set as
    administrator? If you don't have admin rights, you would
    have to switch back and forth on accounts to get anything
    done!

    I'm confused too! xfiler

    By default XP creates two admin accounts Administrator and the one created
    when you type your name in on first boot. You can then create a Limited User
    account. A limited user account is good if you have multiple users on one PC
    and you want to be admin. If you have children or users with little
    knowledge, this will stop them from making changes that you do not want the
    to.

    I have heard some people insist that using Limited User accounts can stop
    malicious software, viruses, spyware, etc. I do not agree with this.

    If you are the only ony using the PC, I would use an administrator account
    otherwise you won't be able to do things that you want to do without having
    to login to the admin account.

    "Boatman" wrote:

    > When I first ran my new Windows XP install, it asked me to create an
    > Administrator account. Later, I created a user account for myself with
    > administrator rights. Then I learned that is not a good idea (general use of
    > the computer with admin rights) but XP won't let me change the rights in my
    > account to limited. It says there must be one user account with admin
    > rights. But what about the Administrator account I made at first? I have two
    > accounts with admin rights! I'm trying to keep things simple. Any ideas?
    >
    > Boatman

    Thankyou xfiler and uggabugga for the info. I asked around and contrary to
    what some "authorities" on the web have said, internet activity using an
    Administrator account is OK.

    Boatman

    "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > By default XP creates two admin accounts Administrator and the one created
    > when you type your name in on first boot. You can then create a Limited
    > User
    > account. A limited user account is good if you have multiple users on one
    > PC
    > and you want to be admin. If you have children or users with little
    > knowledge, this will stop them from making changes that you do not want
    > the
    > to.
    >
    > I have heard some people insist that using Limited User accounts can stop
    > malicious software, viruses, spyware, etc. I do not agree with this.
    >
    > If you are the only ony using the PC, I would use an administrator account
    > otherwise you won't be able to do things that you want to do without
    > having
    > to login to the admin account.
    >
    > "Boatman" wrote:
    >
    >> When I first ran my new Windows XP install, it asked me to create an
    >> Administrator account. Later, I created a user account for myself with
    >> administrator rights. Then I learned that is not a good idea (general use
    >> of
    >> the computer with admin rights) but XP won't let me change the rights in
    >> my
    >> account to limited. It says there must be one user account with admin
    >> rights. But what about the Administrator account I made at first? I have
    >> two
    >> accounts with admin rights! I'm trying to keep things simple. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Boatman

    While it's true, that _some_ malware would not be able to
    run on a limited account, the vast majority would have no
    problems, otherwise we would all use limited accounts for
    accessing the net - and just use the admin account for
    non-online things. Hope this clears it up for you!

    xfiler

Microsoft Windows XP