boatman

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004

When I first ran my new Windows XP install, it asked me to create an
Administrator account. Later, I created a user account for myself with
administrator rights. Then I learned that is not a good idea (general use of
the computer with admin rights) but XP won't let me change the rights in my
account to limited. It says there must be one user account with admin
rights. But what about the Administrator account I made at first? I have two
accounts with admin rights! I'm trying to keep things simple. Any ideas?

Boatman

Who said it's not a good idea to have your account set as
administrator? If you don't have admin rights, you would
have to switch back and forth on accounts to get anything
done!

I'm confused too! xfiler

By default XP creates two admin accounts Administrator and the one created
when you type your name in on first boot. You can then create a Limited User
account. A limited user account is good if you have multiple users on one PC
and you want to be admin. If you have children or users with little
knowledge, this will stop them from making changes that you do not want the
to.

I have heard some people insist that using Limited User accounts can stop
malicious software, viruses, spyware, etc. I do not agree with this.

If you are the only ony using the PC, I would use an administrator account
otherwise you won't be able to do things that you want to do without having
to login to the admin account.

"Boatman" wrote:

> When I first ran my new Windows XP install, it asked me to create an
> Administrator account. Later, I created a user account for myself with
> administrator rights. Then I learned that is not a good idea (general use of
> the computer with admin rights) but XP won't let me change the rights in my
> account to limited. It says there must be one user account with admin
> rights. But what about the Administrator account I made at first? I have two
> accounts with admin rights! I'm trying to keep things simple. Any ideas?
>
> Boatman

boatman

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004

Thankyou xfiler and uggabugga for the info. I asked around and contrary to
what some "authorities" on the web have said, internet activity using an
Administrator account is OK.

Boatman

"uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> By default XP creates two admin accounts Administrator and the one created
> when you type your name in on first boot. You can then create a Limited
> User
> account. A limited user account is good if you have multiple users on one
> PC
> and you want to be admin. If you have children or users with little
> knowledge, this will stop them from making changes that you do not want
> the
> to.
>
> I have heard some people insist that using Limited User accounts can stop
> malicious software, viruses, spyware, etc. I do not agree with this.
>
> If you are the only ony using the PC, I would use an administrator account
> otherwise you won't be able to do things that you want to do without
> having
> to login to the admin account.
>
> "Boatman" wrote:
>
>> When I first ran my new Windows XP install, it asked me to create an
>> Administrator account. Later, I created a user account for myself with
>> administrator rights. Then I learned that is not a good idea (general use
>> of
>> the computer with admin rights) but XP won't let me change the rights in
>> my
>> account to limited. It says there must be one user account with admin
>> rights. But what about the Administrator account I made at first? I have
>> two
>> accounts with admin rights! I'm trying to keep things simple. Any ideas?
>>
>> Boatman

While it's true, that _some_ malware would not be able to
run on a limited account, the vast majority would have no
problems, otherwise we would all use limited accounts for
accessing the net - and just use the admin account for
non-online things. Hope this clears it up for you!

xfiler