Status
Not open for further replies.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Well, what OS are we talking here and what is "small"? 30 Megs? Also note, are you looking at the Java SDK + Netbeans (>100 MB) or just the Java SDK (~60 MB)?

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
My computer does not recognize javac command,i tried updating the path. It didn't work. That's y i thought 2 use a another Compiler . I am just Starting to learn java so I can’t go any further coz of this, I have installed the Java Virtual Machine 1.4 :cry: any ideas ??

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Ok, I haven't done any java dev in Windows, but let's see what we can do

Firstly, open a command line and navigate to your Java install directory, e.g. C:\some\path\to\Java_SDK_1.4.2\bin. It will be different for your system, adjust accordingly.

Make sure that you can run java from that directory. It should give you the verision info as well as some command-line options. If so, great.

Now, to make things run smoothly from any location on your computer, add the path you just went to (C:\some\path\to\Java_SDK_1.4.2\bin) to the Windows PATH environment variable. You can change that from System Properties->Advanced Tab->Environment Variables (persistant) or using the set command (temporary). Remeber to simply add it to the path list, not replace it.

With this, java and javac should be able to be run from any directory. Check this now.

If all's well at this point, you might want to set some additional envirnoment variables, namely CLASSPATH (the directory where your code lives) and JAVA_HOME (the directory where java's installed, C:\some\path\to\Java_SDK_1.4.2).

Here is a more complete guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS