With all the new CPU's available and/or out already......

Pygmollion

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
What is your DREAM motherboard?? I keep catching myself fantasizing of an Uber Mobo for AM2/LGA775.... It would have..

2 Sockets... with the ability to show both sockets as one to the OS (via bios)
16-32 GB of DDR2(3) preinstalled on it...
8 GB of (???) memory directly below each socket acting as L4 Cache....
4 16x PCI-E 2.0 slots...
2 PCI 3.2 slots...
Somesort of DDR memory arrangement with battery... 32-128 GB of solid state goodness for the OS/proggies..
Low Power requirements
Onboard audio! (i'm Deaf its good 'nuff fer me) :p.... Love my ALC 97 on my nforce2 mobo :p... heh.. lets see what else?? I've gone over a huge number of permutations of mobo configs... its so sci-fi. Anybody else have any great ideas/additions.. Lets all come together and make the killer motherboard!!! :)

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
What is your DREAM motherboard?? I keep catching myself fantasizing of an Uber Mobo for AM2/LGA775.... It would have..

2 Sockets... with the ability to show both sockets as one to the OS (via bios)
16-32 GB of DDR2(3) preinstalled on it...
8 GB of (???) memory directly below each socket acting as L4 Cache....
4 16x PCI-E 2.0 slots...
2 PCI 3.2 slots...
Somesort of DDR memory arrangement with battery... 32-128 GB of solid state goodness for the OS/proggies..
Low Power requirements
Onboard audio! (i'm Deaf its good 'nuff fer me) :p.... Love my ALC 97 on my nforce2 mobo :p... heh.. lets see what else?? I've gone over a huge number of permutations of mobo configs... its so sci-fi. Anybody else have any great ideas/additions.. Lets all come together and make the killer motherboard!!! :)

You read my mind. I mean my lips.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
A completely modular mobo. So you can replace everything, NB, SB, RAM slots, CPU socket(s), audio chip, all PCI and AGP slots, ect.

Want a Xeon board? switch out the NB, and install 771 sockets. Wants a 939 board? Install a 939 socket, and switch out the DDR2 slots with DDR1. Need a PCI-X slot? Tear off one the 16x slots and install the PCI-X.

It would be almost impossilbe to do, but it would be oh-so awesome.

Pygmollion

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Sorry about that... I'm at work and tired... I'm on my 3rd cup of cawfee........I Didn't think to post there... Moderators move the thread over there I suppose >>>
Need more coffee!!!... The free stuff where I work is okay... but its free... LOL :twisted:

Pygmollion

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
A completely modular mobo. So you can replace everything, NB, SB, RAM slots, CPU socket(s), audio chip, all PCI and AGP slots, ect.

Want a Xeon board? switch out the NB, and install 771 sockets. Wants a 939 board? Install a 939 socket, and switch out the DDR2 slots with DDR1. Need a PCI-X slot? Tear off one the 16x slots and install the PCI-X.

It would be almost impossilbe to do, but it would be oh-so awesome.
Wow for as much as I've thought about motherboards.. I never once thought of making a modular motherboard.... 8O GG.... now I'm completely re-evaluating everything I've thought about so far........... GAH! :cry:

Pygmollion

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
How hard would it be to somehow forgo the motherboard and make everything wireless??.... lol.. Wireless built into memory chips, cpu, chipset yada yada yada.. I know the BW is not up there and replacing HT with wireless seems like a joke lol

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
That would be awesome. I could throw my mobo in my backpack, the cpu in my jacket pocket, the gpu on around my neck like a key chain, the psu half a mile away in my room, and I could be posting here with a touch screen LCD.

Pygmollion

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
That would be awesome. I could throw my mobo in my backpack, the cpu in my jacket pocket, the gpu on around my neck like a key chain, the psu half a mile away in my room, and I could be posting here with a touch screen LCD.
With as much work I already do proctecting my hearing aid from the elements... I would hate protecting a wearable computer LOL... But yeah that is cool.. .. How bout a kickass case that's modular and completely negates the need for motherboards??