Using a RP HDTV as a computer monitor.

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b C Monitor
October 27, 2004 6:38:43 PM

Greetings!

My wife and I are just about to buy our first hdtv. The models we set
our eyes on are both from SONY, KDF-60XS955 or the KDF-60XBR950. We
are currently trying to see if the extra features the XBR brings are
worth the $500.

The computer plays a pretty significant part in our lives. We watch
news, movies, play games and surf the net on a daily basis.

Would any of the two tv's we are thinking to get work as a computer
monitor? Not necesarely as a full time monitor but just for when
playing a game or watching movies or for simply browsing the net using
a wireless mouse/keyboard while on the couch?

I see that both of these TV models we are looking at have similar
types of inputs (below)

7 A/V inputs, including:
4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
(accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
1 rear-panel DVI with HDCP copy protection

I also have a computer with a Radeon 9800XT video card which has a
normal monitor output and, at the risk of sounding like a moron, the
square white output plug which I have seen on HDTVs as well.

Will this work right away? WIll I need a different type of video card
or any addapters, cables or converters?

Thank you very much.
Cori Stepan

p.s. This is my seccond attempt on posting this message. The first
time I could not find my post anywhere. If somehow I posted twice I
would like to sincerely appologize.

More about : hdtv computer monitor

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2004 4:22:21 AM

I don't think it will work. I have an HDTV that I use as a monitor, and the
HDTV has VGA in. The "white" plug you are referring to is DVI out for a DVI
monitor, and I will caution you, that the DVI in on HDTV's is not the same,
it's usually only intended as an input for DVD players.

Look for a HDTV that specifically supports VGA.

Now, I'll step aside so I can be corrected :)

"Cori Stepan" <coristepan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> My wife and I are just about to buy our first hdtv. The models we set
> our eyes on are both from SONY, KDF-60XS955 or the KDF-60XBR950. We
> are currently trying to see if the extra features the XBR brings are
> worth the $500.
>
> The computer plays a pretty significant part in our lives. We watch
> news, movies, play games and surf the net on a daily basis.
>
> Would any of the two tv's we are thinking to get work as a computer
> monitor? Not necesarely as a full time monitor but just for when
> playing a game or watching movies or for simply browsing the net using
> a wireless mouse/keyboard while on the couch?
>
> I see that both of these TV models we are looking at have similar
> types of inputs (below)
>
> 7 A/V inputs, including:
> 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
> 4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
> 2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
> (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
> 1 rear-panel DVI with HDCP copy protection
>
> I also have a computer with a Radeon 9800XT video card which has a
> normal monitor output and, at the risk of sounding like a moron, the
> square white output plug which I have seen on HDTVs as well.
>
> Will this work right away? WIll I need a different type of video card
> or any addapters, cables or converters?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Cori Stepan
>
> p.s. This is my seccond attempt on posting this message. The first
> time I could not find my post anywhere. If somehow I posted twice I
> would like to sincerely appologize.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2004 6:15:01 AM

Should work fine, though you will not go in through VGA (since you don't
have one!) but through component. Your Radeon card will have a component
HDTV converter (three connectors) which should do the trick. If it doesn't,
you can get one from ATI. Be sure you have updated Catylyst drivers, so you
can take advantage of ATI's recent support for widescreen modes.

"Homeofmike" <news@homeofmike.com> wrote in message
>I don't think it will work. I have an HDTV that I use as a monitor, and
>the HDTV has VGA in. The "white" plug you are referring to is DVI out for
>a DVI monitor, and I will caution you, that the DVI in on HDTV's is not the
>same, it's usually only intended as an input for DVD players.
>
> Look for a HDTV that specifically supports VGA.
>
> Now, I'll step aside so I can be corrected :)
>

> "Cori Stepan" <coristepan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings!
>>
>> My wife and I are just about to buy our first hdtv. The models we set
>> our eyes on are both from SONY, KDF-60XS955 or the KDF-60XBR950. We
>> are currently trying to see if the extra features the XBR brings are
>> worth the $500.
>>
>> The computer plays a pretty significant part in our lives. We watch
>> news, movies, play games and surf the net on a daily basis.
>>
>> Would any of the two tv's we are thinking to get work as a computer
>> monitor? Not necesarely as a full time monitor but just for when
>> playing a game or watching movies or for simply browsing the net using
>> a wireless mouse/keyboard while on the couch?
>>
>> I see that both of these TV models we are looking at have similar
>> types of inputs (below)
>>
>> 7 A/V inputs, including:
>> 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
>> 4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
>> 2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
>> (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
>> 1 rear-panel DVI with HDCP copy protection
>>
>> I also have a computer with a Radeon 9800XT video card which has a
>> normal monitor output and, at the risk of sounding like a moron, the
>> square white output plug which I have seen on HDTVs as well.
>>
>> Will this work right away? WIll I need a different type of video card
>> or any addapters, cables or converters?
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>> Cori Stepan
>>
>> p.s. This is my seccond attempt on posting this message. The first
>> time I could not find my post anywhere. If somehow I posted twice I
>> would like to sincerely appologize.

a b C Monitor
October 28, 2004 9:43:55 AM

Using a Plasma Display for a computer monitor, Sure it should work quite
nicely with the appropriate hardware and connection cables. However, set
your screen saver for a max of about 15 min. That way you will not see all
of your icons permanently become part of the plasma display. Sony
discourages using plasma sets as a computer monitor because of the high
possibility of permanent burn in.
"Helen Chevy" <helenchevy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Should work fine, though you will not go in through VGA (since you don't
> have one!) but through component. Your Radeon card will have a component
> HDTV converter (three connectors) which should do the trick. If it
> doesn't, you can get one from ATI. Be sure you have updated Catylyst
> drivers, so you can take advantage of ATI's recent support for widescreen
> modes.
>

> "Homeofmike" <news@homeofmike.com> wrote in message
>>I don't think it will work. I have an HDTV that I use as a monitor, and
>>the HDTV has VGA in. The "white" plug you are referring to is DVI out for
>>a DVI monitor, and I will caution you, that the DVI in on HDTV's is not
>>the same, it's usually only intended as an input for DVD players.
>>
>> Look for a HDTV that specifically supports VGA.
>>
>> Now, I'll step aside so I can be corrected :)
>>

>> "Cori Stepan" <coristepan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Greetings!
>>>
>>> My wife and I are just about to buy our first hdtv. The models we set
>>> our eyes on are both from SONY, KDF-60XS955 or the KDF-60XBR950. We
>>> are currently trying to see if the extra features the XBR brings are
>>> worth the $500.
>>>
>>> The computer plays a pretty significant part in our lives. We watch
>>> news, movies, play games and surf the net on a daily basis.
>>>
>>> Would any of the two tv's we are thinking to get work as a computer
>>> monitor? Not necesarely as a full time monitor but just for when
>>> playing a game or watching movies or for simply browsing the net using
>>> a wireless mouse/keyboard while on the couch?
>>>
>>> I see that both of these TV models we are looking at have similar
>>> types of inputs (below)
>>>
>>> 7 A/V inputs, including:
>>> 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
>>> 4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
>>> 2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
>>> (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
>>> 1 rear-panel DVI with HDCP copy protection
>>>
>>> I also have a computer with a Radeon 9800XT video card which has a
>>> normal monitor output and, at the risk of sounding like a moron, the
>>> square white output plug which I have seen on HDTVs as well.
>>>
>>> Will this work right away? WIll I need a different type of video card
>>> or any addapters, cables or converters?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>> Cori Stepan
>>>
>>> p.s. This is my seccond attempt on posting this message. The first
>>> time I could not find my post anywhere. If somehow I posted twice I
>>> would like to sincerely appologize.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2004 5:42:54 AM

Okay, I'm just lost with the DVI interface and cables.
I've got a Samsung DLP HDTV and it has PC (VGA) and a female DVI input.
I also just got a Dell computer and it has DVI output via a 15 pin female
connector. Intel 82159G Express Chipset.

So I want to display my computer on this (no other monitor).
So do a use (and will it work) a:
DVI-A male to HD15 male analog video cable?
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=924&sku=...

TIA

!