Boot from USB "thumb" drive?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have an HP zd7000 notebook with XP saying unmountable boot volume and it
boot from the System Restore or Application Recovery disk but it will boot
often Norton's Anti-Virus CD but then it won't recognize the C drive and if
I switch CDs it says it can't read from it that the drive is no longer valid
and pick another letter. Even when I put the Norton CD back in it says
current drive no longer valid and asks for another letter.

I've tried all the Safe Boots, (from networking, from command prompt, from
last working configuration), and even tried booting Windows normally same
deal, the safe boots starts showing multipartition stuff and hangs when it
gets to agp440.sys and / or I hit a blue screen for a second I see
Unmountable Boot before it cuts to black and reboot to various Safe /
Windows boot options.

In the BIOS setup it has an option for booting from removable devices and
was wondering if I can boot from one of those USB "thumb" drive?

-- Ken from Chicago
3 answers Last reply
More about boot thumb drive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > You can if you have a thumb drive that supports this, with a
    > bootable operating system on it. What do you hope to achieve with
    > this?

    Wondrous things! ;)
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Read both pages here http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1676
    You can create a bootable USB drive providing you have
    1) BIOS that supports booting USB drive
    2) A tool that will correctly format the USB drive (link on 2nd page of
    above article)
    3) bootable files (either image or floppy) to copy to the formatted USB
    drive

    If you are working with NTFS then you should also copy a reader like NTFS
    Reader for DOS to the thumb drive http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have an HP zd7000 notebook with XP saying unmountable boot volume and it
    > boot from the System Restore or Application Recovery disk but it will boot
    > often Norton's Anti-Virus CD but then it won't recognize the C drive and
    if
    > I switch CDs it says it can't read from it that the drive is no longer
    valid
    > and pick another letter. Even when I put the Norton CD back in it says
    > current drive no longer valid and asks for another letter.
    >
    > I've tried all the Safe Boots, (from networking, from command prompt, from
    > last working configuration), and even tried booting Windows normally same
    > deal, the safe boots starts showing multipartition stuff and hangs when it
    > gets to agp440.sys and / or I hit a blue screen for a second I see
    > Unmountable Boot before it cuts to black and reboot to various Safe /
    > Windows boot options.
    >
    > In the BIOS setup it has an option for booting from removable devices and
    > was wondering if I can boot from one of those USB "thumb" drive?
    >
    > -- Ken from Chicago

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If you have a windows xp disk, or a disk that has xp on it, you should be
    able to run the repair console from the disk. Make sure the bios is set for
    the cd-rom drive to boot first and then when windows is loading off the disk
    it asks you if you want to enter the repair console, hit the button it
    specifies (I forget which one). Once you are in the repair console it will
    ask you which drive, hit c, then on the next prompt type fixboot. That
    should write a new boot sector.

    John

    "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have an HP zd7000 notebook with XP saying unmountable boot volume and it
    >boot from the System Restore or Application Recovery disk but it will boot
    >often Norton's Anti-Virus CD but then it won't recognize the C drive and if
    >I switch CDs it says it can't read from it that the drive is no longer
    >valid and pick another letter. Even when I put the Norton CD back in it
    >says current drive no longer valid and asks for another letter.
    >
    > I've tried all the Safe Boots, (from networking, from command prompt, from
    > last working configuration), and even tried booting Windows normally same
    > deal, the safe boots starts showing multipartition stuff and hangs when it
    > gets to agp440.sys and / or I hit a blue screen for a second I see
    > Unmountable Boot before it cuts to black and reboot to various Safe /
    > Windows boot options.
    >
    > In the BIOS setup it has an option for booting from removable devices and
    > was wondering if I can boot from one of those USB "thumb" drive?
    >
    > -- Ken from Chicago

Boot Microsoft Windows XP