4 ghtz on core 2 duo possible?

shaido7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
Hello,
I want to upgrade and i am ready to buy a water cooling kit. what combo and config would you recomend to achieve 4 gightz and is it possible on water cooling?
I also would like an answer on another question which ram to buy i would like to buy 2 gig for gaming although im not sure if it would make any difference at all,would it?
either way i read i need micron 9 ram for the best oc . can anyone give me a link to micron 9 ram in both 1 gig and 2 gig kits that kicks ass? I usually buy corsair or ocz memory.but im not picky as long as its good memory.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
When you say water-cooling, I hope you mean a legitimate setup. You WILL NOT significantly outperform high-level air coolers with a cheap setup like a BigWater. You'll likely have to spend upwards of 400 on WC components if you want to hit 4ghz. Try to do as much research as possible so you don't wind up wasting your money.

As for Ram, there's really too many good parts out there to name them all. Something with a low initial Vmem rating, tight timings, and decent speed (DDR2-800) is all you need. That way you can up the volts and loosen the timings when you really start to get your FSB cranked up, and not have to worry about overvolting your RAM. Make sense? Good luck.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Its possible to hit 4GHz but very hard to maintain with many vaiables to factor in.
First you have to find a chip that will even hit 4 GHz
A motherboard that can handle and maintain the high FSB and the ram that can literally take the heat.
the rest is cooling and countless hours gaining the experience just to prove you have no life. 8)