How to connect 5.1 to computer?

Hi. The back of my sub-woofer (which has all the connections) looks like this:

That is almost it, except on mine D is black, not white. It is a 5.1 sound system connecting to an onboard sound card on a ASUS P5N-E SLI. It only has 5.1 sound, so I only get the three standard ports, which look like this:

I can 'reprogram' any of those three ports to any of these three inputs:

Front Speaker
Rear Speaker
Center/Sub-woofer

I feel like I've tried every combination, but I still can't get all six speakers working. Whilst in the Realtek HD Audio Manager, it lets me test the speakers. Right now, I have all the speakers working minus the sub-woofer and the right rear speaker. Now, I'm certain those two speakers work because if I move some connections, they will work, but then some others will stop working.

If you don't get what I'm asking, just tell which of those three inputs on the sub-woofer picture go with what: Front Speaker or Rear Speaker or Center/Sub-woofer.

Thanks!

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Using Vista Ultimate 64-bit, but try to ignore that, lol!
12 answers Last reply
More about connect computer
  1. Looking at the picture of your sub I would guess that the inputs on it are probably Front, Back, Centre and Sub. I guess what your need is a cable that splits your centre/sub output from the computer into two different connectors. It will be something along that sort of path in anycase. Do you have the name of your speaker setup. Might be able to find a manual online for it.
  2. Dude, I think you're right! Sometimes only subwoofer will work and sometimes only Center will work. So is it like this:

A: Front
    B: Back
    C: Center
    D: Subwoofer

?

It is made by DCT Factory, model OG-5050. I found a review for it, but the accursed website is down/moved/changed. I'm trying to figure out if I can contact him for an archive of the review. I've also emailed DCT for a manual, but I don't expect a response.

Well, that cures the subwoofer part. But what of the right rear speaker?

~Ibrahim~
  3. don't you have a manual with your speaker system, that should tell you which port corresponds to which output, then all you have to do is match them (rear to rear, front to front, Center/sub to center/sub <-- you get the point) if it doesn't, you can try working out which one is which via a process of elimination, that is of course supposing that those inputs are for the ones i mentioned, there is a possibility that it may need an spdif input, which could make life complicated unless your mobo supports it over the minijack...

in my own personal opinion, i feel that the sub must be using some sort of propriatery (SP?) connection system which makes life complicated like i said...

Ara
  4. I'm going to rummage through the house today for the manual, but I don't feel too lucky. I checked my motherboard, :(. It only has S/PDIF out, not in.

~Ibrahim~
  5. check to see if they have an online manual if you know their site... it would probably make your life far easier.

if i'm not mistaken, you would only need SPDIF out, however, i've never been capable of using SPDIF even though i have 3 outputs (2 motherboard outputs, 1 sound card output), never had any luck getting it to work, i've had the most success with 3 stereo outputs (rear, front, sub/center) (aka 6ch output/input depending on the perspective) especially as both games and software dvd players support this method (power dvd does anyway)...

Ara
  6. There is a PDF on the site you can access for your speakers:

http://www.dctfactory.com/menu_pdf/5050.pdf

According to it:

A - Front Left/Right
    B - Left/Right Surround
    C - Centre
    D - Subwoofer

In terms of the wires out to the actual speakers they seem to be:

|Positive Front Right|Negative Front (R&L)|Positive Front Left|Sub|
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |Positive Rear Right|Negative Rear (R&L)|Positive Rear Left|Sub|

The sub will also drive better I expect one way round but there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate which way round.

As for using SPDIF there is no input on these speakers for that type of signal. However I've been using it for a long time with a seperate full size AV reciever and it works great. You just need to convert it from the mini connector to a phono type connector. Have the advantage I can either input it that way or through the 5.1 input my amp has. Hope that solves your problem. David.

EDIT: I expect the most likely problem with the right speaker will be the negative. I'd take both negative wires in that set out and twist them together. If you have a soldering iron might be worth soldering them together. That way your make sure that they make a good contact. As it is only the one speaker though I expect it is the wiring for that speaker rather than that of the link between speakers and PC. If you find that two speakers are the wrong way round the easiest solution will be to just swap over the positive leads going out to the speakers. I know I've had that problem before too. Not all outputs keep the connectors the same way round for some reason.
  7. Sorry I have no idea about your original question but could you tell me if buying these as computer/music in my room speakers is a good idea?

DCT Factory OG-5060 18 Watts 5.1 Speaker System

I saw your review and you seemed pretty enthusiasic lol :D
  8. i guess that solves his matching problem, only difference with normal 6 ch output is that he's going to have to seperate the sub/center minijack into 2 seperate mono minijacks (stereo cable would still work i think) so that the center goes to the center hole and the sub goes to teh sub hole, this way he'll have his mapping done right, (front to front, rear to rear, sub/center split to sub and center holes (gonna take some figureing out on his part i think))

and btw ikjadoon, dunno if your mobo sound software does this, but i know CSS can do it: test the mappings to make sure that the right speaker comes on in the right sequence, otherwise you know that the mappings are wrong :oops:

@david: could you elaborate on the wiring, cos i'm kinda confused by it... thanks

tell us what happens,
    Ara
  9. Quote:
    There is a PDF on the site you can access for your speakers:

http://www.dctfactory.com/menu_pdf/5050.pdf

According to it:

A - Front Left/Right
    B - Left/Right Surround
    C - Centre
    D - Subwoofer

In terms of the wires out to the actual speakers they seem to be:

|Positive Front Right|Negative Front (R&L)|Positive Front Left|Sub|
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |Positive Rear Right|Negative Rear (R&L)|Positive Rear Left|Sub|

The sub will also drive better I expect one way round but there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate which way round.

As for using SPDIF there is no input on these speakers for that type of signal. However I've been using it for a long time with a seperate full size AV reciever and it works great. You just need to convert it from the mini connector to a phono type connector. Have the advantage I can either input it that way or through the 5.1 input my amp has. Hope that solves your problem. David.

EDIT: I expect the most likely problem with the right speaker will be the negative. I'd take both negative wires in that set out and twist them together. If you have a soldering iron might be worth soldering them together. That way your make sure that they make a good contact. As it is only the one speaker though I expect it is the wiring for that speaker rather than that of the link between speakers and PC. If you find that two speakers are the wrong way round the easiest solution will be to just swap over the positive leads going out to the speakers. I know I've had that problem before too. Not all outputs keep the connectors the same way round for some reason.

Thanks a bunch. How the hell did you find that? I looked all over. Thanks, mate! I'm going to try it now.

They 5060's, I found, are nearly identical except the shape of the speakers. I think. They are pretty good, but a b!tch to hook up, lol. I'm no audiophile, but the bass is nice and deep. The satellites are more powerful than they look. I'm sure there are better ones, but for the price, they are great.

Thanks!

~Ibrahim~
  10. OK, I checked my connections, but they were already in the right place!

There is a weird thing that happens, however. When my front speakers play, so does my subwoofer! That kind of cures the subwoofer problem.

I'm going to check the negatives right now.

~Ibrahim~
  11. The pdf was in a rather silly place and I didn't notice it at first. No where near any of the other pages related to the product either. For some reason you have to click on the link that says 'menu'. I was just trying them all as was suprised that there wasn't any manuals online. Having said that they only provide them for two setups so you are lucky.

http://www.dctfactory.com/menu.htm

Is probably one of the worst designed websites I have ever seen though. Hope you've managed to get it fully working. I'll have a think and see if I can think of anything else that could cause the problem.

EDIT: The wiring is just in the order that I have listed them using the spring plugs. If you check the PDF it is also shown in there. Just thought I'd post the info as well incase the PDF disappeared.
  12. Quote:
    The pdf was in a rather silly place and I didn't notice it at first. No where near any of the other pages related to the product either. For some reason you have to click on the link that says 'menu'. I was just trying them all as was suprised that there wasn't any manuals online. Having said that they only provide them for two setups so you are lucky.

http://www.dctfactory.com/menu.htm

Is probably one of the worst designed websites I have ever seen though. Hope you've managed to get it fully working. I'll have a think and see if I can think of anything else that could cause the problem.

You're freaking amazing! I checked my connections and now all my speakers work! The subwoofer isn't working 100%, but whenever my front speakers play, so do my subwoofer. For me, that is good enough. Thank you so much for your help, mate!

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Yeah, that is a pretty twisted site, lol!
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Speakers Connection Components Product