Upcoming Dx10 Games

Nokturnal

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
So how good do you think the 8800gts 320mb in lets say... 1280x1024
high graphic settings will run upcoming games such as crysis and hellgate london, and how long till you think it will take a hit in having high graphics in games?

pauldh

Illustrious
We really have no idea. But since you say "THINK", I'll share my expectations. I bought an 8800GTS 320MB, and my feeling going into it was no way IMO will it max out Crysis at 1280x1024. I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't max out 10x7. It's still a very nice DX9 gaming card right now though.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
It struggles at Oblivion with maxed out settings.
But that has nothing to do with it only having 320MB; Oblivion shows no advantage going from 320MB to 640MB.

i have the 640 version and get lows of around 30 f.p.s. outside
with everything maxed(all sliders) and 4x a.a. and 8x asf.
except for the shadows.
it seems to avg around 50ish outside according to f.r.a.p.s.

Still no set release date for Crysis, last I read it was "sometime in 2007". If your lucky, there may be a total of 2-3 DX10 games released this year because all news indicates DX10 games are slated for a 2008 release. All things considered, I would bet that an 8800gts will be hurting when Crysis is released let alone after any updates and patches. I would go as far to say that an 8800gtx will be a mid-range card and the gts a low-end card by summer 2008 when the majority of DX10 games start hitting the market.

Nokturnal

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
Still no set release date for Crysis, last I read it was "sometime in 2007". If your lucky, there may be a total of 2-3 DX10 games released this year because all news indicates DX10 games are slated for a 2008 release. All things considered, I would bet that an 8800gts will be hurting when Crysis is released let alone after any updates and patches. I would go as far to say that an 8800gtx will be a mid-range card and the gts a low-end card by summer 2008 when the majority of DX10 games start hitting the market.

Thats exactly why i was thinking of holding off on a new rig, no idea what the future got in store for us gamers besides sexy graphics lol

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
The Supreme Commander DX10 patch was, the last I had heard, scheduled to be released around May. So far, that's pretty much it though. Crysis, who knows. FSX's patch has been pushed back till holiday season.

Why is it taking so long? Either DX10 is a pain in the butt to write code for, or it opens up so many new options for developers that they can't help but keep adding new stuff. That's my guess anyway.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
in terms of crysis it should run at 1280x1024 very well, but not necessarily maxed settings. the game is made to scale ahead 1.5 years, unless you have sli or crossfire solution any card you buy will "struggle"

thats just how games like oblivion and crysis are, they were developed to scale ahead so many years so the graphics would age better. Oblivion kills even a 7900gtx and 1950xt so just think about that when buying your next gfx card.... get the best card for the money

Why is it taking so long? Either DX10 is a pain in the butt to write code for, or it opens up so many new options for developers that they can't help but keep adding new stuff. That's my guess anyway.

That's what I wondered, why is it taking so long. I mean, Vista has been released and DX10 compatible cards are available for purchase. From what I've gathered though, developers really haven't time to explore the API to see what they can do with DX10 let alone develop games and write code. Regardless, from what I've seen, DX10 games are going to have some fantastic eye candy. Can't wait till the titles are actaully on the market, personally I'm looking forward to Age of Conan and Bioshock.

This may be old, but here's a link to a thread in the nVidia forums with some DX10 screenshots.

This may be old, but here's a link to a thread in the nVidia forums with some DX10 screenshots.

Yeah the problem is that some of those aren't of actual gameplay, but pre-rendered scenes and artists' concept images.

But even still some of the early gameplay footage is impressive, and I think about half of the stuff in that thread was in-game, but one of the UT3 still, one of the Crysis stills, and one of the FSX stills were definitely not, and have been discussed before, I'm not sure about the others.

Even if they're only as good as the live motion demos sofar, then that a big jump in realizm, even from a lighting perspective alone.

snowysnowcones

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006

Nokturnal

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
damn didn't even notice I got it from another post, doesn't look the same at all, the second looks way better with that lighting and shading effects.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Bottom line is that games take a really really long time to develop, and they don't always develop or release in concert with the advent of new software and hardware specs. But yeah, I think Crysis will be a bear to render, looking at how Far Cry was such a bitch on hardware when it first came out.

Nokturnal

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
yea i would of just figured that the 320mb would be running crysis pretty damn good if there releasing even lower graphic cards for dx10, i wouldn't even bother to touch any those if the 320 isn't running it well.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I think the big thing will be rendering Crysis at higher resolutions. Us folks with 17" LCD monitors will probably be able to get the lion's share of visuals without having to buy a whole new, state-of-the-art card.

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Everything's pure conjecture at this point, so it's pretty meaningless to discuss what GPU's are going to do with DX10 games. I thought we were going to talk about what DX10 games are coming out.

Is Bioshock supposed to be a DX10 game?