HDTV Interface?

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 28, 2004 9:16:46 PM

Hello,

I am currently trying out Comcast HDTV and am very disappointed with the
interface. You have to use their remote control which eliminates all of the
features that come with the TV like picture in picture, etc. I also hate the
slow response time between channels, having to point the remote directly at
the box, the menu/advertising that appears with each channel change, and the
fact that the hdtv is on separate channels making it difficult to surf (the
hdtv channels are not adjacent to regular channels).

My question is if any of the other methods of getting hdtv such as an
antenna or the dish permit you to use your own remote control and if the
interface is any better?

Thanks a lot,

Bob

More about : hdtv interface

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 9:16:47 PM

The simple answer is that there are other methods including OTA and
satellite but each requires a tuner and each tuner has its own remote
control. If you have a built-in tuner and remote already, what type
is it?

Kal

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:16:46 GMT, "Ergobob"
<ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am currently trying out Comcast HDTV and am very disappointed with the
>interface. You have to use their remote control which eliminates all of the
>features that come with the TV like picture in picture, etc. I also hate the
>slow response time between channels, having to point the remote directly at
>the box, the menu/advertising that appears with each channel change, and the
>fact that the hdtv is on separate channels making it difficult to surf (the
>hdtv channels are not adjacent to regular channels).
>
>My question is if any of the other methods of getting hdtv such as an
>antenna or the dish permit you to use your own remote control and if the
>interface is any better?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>
>Bob

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 10:10:44 PM

> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying out Comcast HDTV and am very disappointed with the
> interface. You have to use their remote control which eliminates all of
> the features that come with the TV like picture in picture, etc. I also
> hate the slow response time between channels, having to point the remote
> directly at the box, the menu/advertising that appears with each channel
> change, and the fact that the hdtv is on separate channels making it
> difficult to surf (the hdtv channels are not adjacent to regular
> channels).
>
> My question is if any of the other methods of getting hdtv such as an
> antenna or the dish permit you to use your own remote control and if the
> interface is any better?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Bob

I use Dish for my programming with a 811 receiver. I also have a roof mount
antenna that I use to get local digital channels. I am 50 miles from the
towers. NO problems at all.
I get hdtv just fine.

October 28, 2004 11:15:31 PM

"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> The simple answer is that there are other methods including OTA and
> satellite but each requires a tuner and each tuner has its own remote
> control. If you have a built-in tuner and remote already, what type
> is it?
>
> Kal
============================
The DirecTV units integrate OTA and Sat seamlessly.
One remote can do it all.
=============================
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:27:51 AM

"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently trying out Comcast HDTV and am very disappointed with the
>> interface. You have to use their remote control which eliminates all of
>> the features that come with the TV like picture in picture, etc. I also
>> hate the slow response time between channels, having to point the remote
>> directly at the box, the menu/advertising that appears with each channel
>> change, and the fact that the hdtv is on separate channels making it
>> difficult to surf (the hdtv channels are not adjacent to regular
>> channels).
>>
>> My question is if any of the other methods of getting hdtv such as an
>> antenna or the dish permit you to use your own remote control and if the
>> interface is any better?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>>
>> Bob
>

> I use Dish for my programming with a 811 receiver. I also have a roof
> mount antenna that I use to get local digital channels. I am 50 miles from
> the towers. NO problems at all.
> I get hdtv just fine.

I have a HDTV Ready set so it does not have the receiver.

Does the Dish or the Antenna permit you to use your TV's remote?

Thanks,

Bob
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:28:49 AM

I don't have a built-in tuner. It is just HDTV Ready. Given that, is there a
way to get HDTV and still use the TV Remote?

Thanks,

Bob

"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> The simple answer is that there are other methods including OTA and
> satellite but each requires a tuner and each tuner has its own remote
> control. If you have a built-in tuner and remote already, what type
> is it?
>
> Kal
>
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:16:46 GMT, "Ergobob"
> <ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am currently trying out Comcast HDTV and am very disappointed with the
>>interface. You have to use their remote control which eliminates all of
>>the
>>features that come with the TV like picture in picture, etc. I also hate
>>the
>>slow response time between channels, having to point the remote directly
>>at
>>the box, the menu/advertising that appears with each channel change, and
>>the
>>fact that the hdtv is on separate channels making it difficult to surf
>>(the
>>hdtv channels are not adjacent to regular channels).
>>
>>My question is if any of the other methods of getting hdtv such as an
>>antenna or the dish permit you to use your own remote control and if the
>>interface is any better?
>>
>>Thanks a lot,
>>
>>Bob

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:28:50 AM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:28:49 GMT, "Ergobob"
<ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> wrote:

>I don't have a built-in tuner. It is just HDTV Ready. Given that, is there a
>way to get HDTV and still use the TV Remote?

Not that I know of. Of course, I have a Fujitsu HD which also lacks a
tuner and I use the cable box remote along with my Fujitsu remote (and
about 6 others as well). If the remote for your TV has a learning or
universal facility, you may be able to get it to operate a tuner but
the sluggish response is in the box, not the remote.

Kal

>"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
>> The simple answer is that there are other methods including OTA and
>> satellite but each requires a tuner and each tuner has its own remote
>> control. If you have a built-in tuner and remote already, what type
>> is it?
>>
>> Kal
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:16:46 GMT, "Ergobob"
>> <ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I am currently trying out Comcast HDTV and am very disappointed with the
>>>interface. You have to use their remote control which eliminates all of
>>>the
>>>features that come with the TV like picture in picture, etc. I also hate
>>>the
>>>slow response time between channels, having to point the remote directly
>>>at
>>>the box, the menu/advertising that appears with each channel change, and
>>>the
>>>fact that the hdtv is on separate channels making it difficult to surf
>>>(the
>>>hdtv channels are not adjacent to regular channels).
>>>
>>>My question is if any of the other methods of getting hdtv such as an
>>>antenna or the dish permit you to use your own remote control and if the
>>>interface is any better?
>>>
>>>Thanks a lot,
>>>
>>>Bob

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:34:59 AM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:15:31 -0700, "Richard C."
<post-age@spamcop.net> wrote:

>============================
>The DirecTV units integrate OTA and Sat seamlessly.
>One remote can do it all.
>=============================

Sure but not with his TV's remote control.

Kal
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:59:25 AM

My TV remote can be converted but I think you would loose the TV features. I
think you are limited to what the box offers. Is that right?

Also, if you do have a built-in tuner, can you avoid having to use the
remote from the HDTV provider? If so, you can still use all of your TV
features and have a fast response time.

Thanks,

Bob

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:28:49 GMT, "Ergobob"
> <ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> wrote:
>
>>I don't have a built-in tuner. It is just HDTV Ready. Given that, is there
>>way to get HDTV and still use the TV Remote?
>
> Not that I know of. Of course, I have a Fujitsu HD which also lacks a
> tuner and I use the cable box remote along with my Fujitsu remote (and
> about 6 others as well). If the remote for your TV has a learning or
> universal facility, you may be able to get it to operate a tuner but
> the sluggish response is in the box, not the remote.
>
> Kal
>

>>"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
>>> The simple answer is that there are other methods including OTA and
>>> satellite but each requires a tuner and each tuner has its own remote
>>> control. If you have a built-in tuner and remote already, what type
>>> is it?
>>>
>>> Kal

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:59:26 AM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:59:25 GMT, "Ergobob"
<ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> wrote:

>My TV remote can be converted but I think you would loose the TV features. I
>think you are limited to what the box offers. Is that right?

I do not understand this paragraph.

>Also, if you do have a built-in tuner, can you avoid having to use the
>remote from the HDTV provider? If so, you can still use all of your TV
>features and have a fast response time.

Only if your built-in tuner is suitable for the provider. I do not
know of any built-ins yet that will handle cable or satellite but I do
not profess to know all. I do know that there are built-in OTA
tuners.

Kal
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 9:42:48 AM

> I have a HDTV Ready set so it does not have the receiver.
>
> Does the Dish or the Antenna permit you to use your TV's remote?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I can use either the Dish remote or the TV's (Sony) remote.

October 29, 2004 11:16:03 AM

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:15:31 -0700, "Richard C."
> <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>>============================
>>The DirecTV units integrate OTA and Sat seamlessly.
>>One remote can do it all.
>>=============================
>
> Sure but not with his TV's remote control.
>
> Kal

=====================================
Unless his is not programmable.
Then nothing will work.
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 11:17:40 AM

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:59:25 GMT, "Ergobob"
> <ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> wrote:
>
>>My TV remote can be converted but I think you would loose the TV features.
>>think you are limited to what the box offers. Is that right?
>
> I do not understand this paragraph.

========================
His remote must not be programmable.
The ones for HD receivers usually are.

All he needs to do is program one.

I have my universal programmed so that the channel up/down, etc works the
DirecTV Sony 300 receiver.
==============================
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:54:01 PM

I have a 36" Sony with a lot of features. The remote can be programmed with
a different number so that it is compatible with another box (e.g. Dish or
cable). But even if you permit the remote to operate the HDTV box, I think
you will not get the features that are built into the TV.

So my real question is if there is a way to get HDTV and still have the
benefit of the features that came with the TV like picture in picture,
favorite channels, etc.?

Bob

>> I have a HDTV Ready set so it does not have the receiver.
>>
>> Does the Dish or the Antenna permit you to use your TV's remote?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob
>
> I can use either the Dish remote or the TV's (Sony) remote.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
October 29, 2004 5:54:02 PM

"Ergobob" <ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> wrote in message
>I have a 36" Sony with a lot of features. The remote can be programmed with
>a different number so that it is compatible with another box (e.g. Dish or
>cable). But even if you permit the remote to operate the HDTV box, I think
>you will not get the features that are built into the TV.
>
> So my real question is if there is a way to get HDTV and still have the
> benefit of the features that came with the TV like picture in picture,
> favorite channels, etc.?
>
> Bob

=====================
Yes.
Get a remote you can program.

> "Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message
>> >
>>> I have a HDTV Ready set so it does not have the receiver.
>>>
>>> Does the Dish or the Antenna permit you to use your TV's remote?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> I can use either the Dish remote or the TV's (Sony) remote.

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
>> Newsgroups
>> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:54:03 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:18:14 -0700, "Richard C."
<post-age@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Yes.
>Get a remote you can program.

I think that he is asking for more than that. He wants the HD box to
respond faster; that's a function of the box, not the remote. Also,
the TV's 'favorite station' function is somewhat compromised when the
HD box is doing the actual station selection. As for split-screen,
again, that depends on the TV unless he gets an HD box with two
tuners, such as the SA8000HD.

Overall, a universal/programmable remote will give him access to all
the boxes from one remote but not, I fear, in the ways he wants.

Kal
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 8:00:53 PM

"Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> "Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
>> The simple answer is that there are other methods including OTA and
>> satellite but each requires a tuner and each tuner has its own remote
>> control. If you have a built-in tuner and remote already, what type
>> is it?
>>
>> Kal
> ============================
> The DirecTV units integrate OTA and Sat seamlessly.
> One remote can do it all.
> =============================

Yes, but even with one remote, would you retain all of the features built
into the TV?

Also, do you have the same kind of slow and bothersome menus with each
channel change?

Bob
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 8:07:12 PM

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:18:14 -0700, "Richard C."
> <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>>Yes.
>>Get a remote you can program.
>
> I think that he is asking for more than that. He wants the HD box to
> respond faster; that's a function of the box, not the remote. Also,
> the TV's 'favorite station' function is somewhat compromised when the
> HD box is doing the actual station selection. As for split-screen,
> again, that depends on the TV unless he gets an HD box with two
> tuners, such as the SA8000HD.
>
> Overall, a universal/programmable remote will give him access to all
> the boxes from one remote but not, I fear, in the ways he wants.
>
> Kal

Hi Kal,

Right. I want to retain the features built into the TV. My large Sony is
feature rich and I hate to loose it all. Also, you are right about the delay
between channels and the menus you get each time you change the channel.

I gather from all the responses that any HDTV setup will result in loosing
many of the TV features and will rely on the speed and menus that the HDTV
provider offers.

Also, is it correct that the HDTV channels are always separate from the
regular channels? I wish you could just flip through the usual channels and
get HDTV automatically when it was being broadcast.

Bob
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 5:20:42 AM

Ergobob wrote:
> I don't have a built-in tuner. It is just HDTV Ready. Given that, is
> there a way to get HDTV and still use the TV Remote?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Get a Harmony remote from Logitec.

> "Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
>> The simple answer is that there are other methods including OTA and
>> satellite but each requires a tuner and each tuner has its own remote
>> control. If you have a built-in tuner and remote already, what type
>> is it?
>>
>> Kal
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:16:46 GMT, "Ergobob"
>> <ergobob@sonic[REMOVE].net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am currently trying out Comcast HDTV and am very disappointed
>>> with the interface. You have to use their remote control which
>>> eliminates all of the
>>> features that come with the TV like picture in picture, etc. I also
>>> hate the
>>> slow response time between channels, having to point the remote
>>> directly at
>>> the box, the menu/advertising that appears with each channel
>>> change, and the
>>> fact that the hdtv is on separate channels making it difficult to
>>> surf (the
>>> hdtv channels are not adjacent to regular channels).
>>>
>>> My question is if any of the other methods of getting hdtv such as
>>> an antenna or the dish permit you to use your own remote control
>>> and if the interface is any better?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>>
>>> Bob
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 8:42:04 AM

> Also, is it correct that the HDTV channels are always separate from the
> regular channels? I wish you could just flip through the usual channels
> and get HDTV automatically when it was being broadcast.

You can get OTA channels that way. If I 'channel up' on my set, I get
Channel 2 (CBS in my area) , then 2-1 (CBS HDTV), then 4, then 4-1 (NBC
HDTV), etc.
!