Overclock lost in Windows XP

I'm trying to overclock my 939 3200+. I change all the settings in the bios, but when i boot into windows the cpu speed hasn't changed. The ram speed has lowered to what i changed it to though. Why won't the overclock hold in windows? It even says the cpu is faster in the POST screen.
11 answers Last reply
More about overclock lost windows
  1. Quote:
    I'm trying to overclock my 939 3200+. I change all the settings in the bios, but when i boot into windows the cpu speed hasn't changed. The ram speed has lowered to what i changed it to though. Why won't the overclock hold in windows? It even says the cpu is faster in the POST screen.

After changing all the settings in BIOS, choose Save and Exit and press Enter on your keyboard.
  2. You're kidding, right?
  3. wrong post.
  4. Ok. Well, any ideas anyway?
  5. sorry, double post
  6. Quote:
    You're kidding, right?

Are you saving your changes in BIOS and exiting by pressing Enter? I'm assuming you are increasing your system's BUS speed? What do you mean by:

Quote:
    I change all the settings in the bios, but when i boot into windows the cpu speed hasn't changed. The ram speed has lowered to what i changed it to though. Why won't the overclock hold in windows? It even says the cpu is faster in the POST screen.
  7. Yes of course I'm saving and exiting! :)

i mean i lower the ram speed, up the fsb, set cpu volts to 1.4, change htt to x4, lock pci to 33.33, and set pci freq to 100mhz.

Then when i boot to the screen that shows the amount of ram and cpu speed, hard drives, other ide's etc, it shows the cpu speed as being faster than 2000mhz.

But when i load into windows and check with cpuz, it says the cpu is only at 2000mhz, but the ram speed is lowered to what i changed it to in bios.
  8. Have you tried setting your BIOS back to default. Then just simply up the BUS speed and boot into windows to see if that alone does indeed increase CPU frequency? Why are you dropping the multiplier down to 4?
  9. I haven't tried just altering the fsb, i'll give it a shot. I'm not setting the cpu multiplier to x4, that is at x10, its the htt multiplier at x4. I'm just setting it as this from what i was told in another post.
  10. Tried altering only the fsb, still didn't work. Cpu was still at 2000mhz. Any more ideas?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Windows XP