The speaker tends to be in the case not on the board.

In that case you just plug it in.

Some boards have a speakers on board, but the majority have 4 pins to connect the speaker to

+ NC NC -
| |
| |
| |___________
\____________<| speaker :)

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
The speaker tends to be in the case not on the board.

In that case you just plug it in.

Some boards have a speakers on board, but the majority have 4 pins to connect the speaker to

+ NC NC -
| |
| |
| |___________
\____________<| speaker :)

So the mobo or the case comes with the speaker, you just have to connect it?

mobo is ds3 case is p180

do i need to get a speaker seperately?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
If then case dosn't have one then you can get this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1834/ele-186/HSPC_ATX_Control_Kit.html

Now as you have seen many motherboards and most cases no longer come with a speaker. They are only helpful with initial post to make sure you have everything plugged in correectly. To me the single system good beep gets anoying. I havn't used one in about 6 to 8 years.

i want to know if my sys is working fine:
does the ds3 or p180 come w a speaker?

if not, any ones on the egg?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I don't think either has a speaker. I know the P180 dosn't have one. Most high end cases don't.

damn, so what do I do?
I dont want to end up w/ doa ram or mobo, or gpu and not know what the issue is bc I cant hear a code of beeps telling me whats wrong

*EDIT* isnt a mobo speaker invaluable in troubleshooting ??
This will be my second rig built, and I dont know how to diagnose problems...

damn. That reminds me, I have to stick a speakers(i have spares from old computers) into my 900 as well.

Try any local shop they should have all kinds of old pc speakers laying around. they are all pretty much the same. Zip tip it in somewhere away from the hard drives if its magnet is not shielded(most PC speakers are too small to be a threat, but better to be safe then sorry)

pcspeakerdv0.jpg

Speaker from P166

You will only need the speaker if something goes wrong and you need to listen for the diagnostic beeps. If it works(post boots and runs fine), the speaker may not be needed

@ mpilchfamily
thats a nice little kit for testing boards on the bench. Nice find

@ PCKid777
even better

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
damn. That reminds me, I have to stick a speakers(i have spares from old computers) into my 900 as well.

Try any local shop they should have all kinds of old pc speakers laying around. they are all pretty much the same. Zip tip it in somewhere away from the hard drives if its magnet is not shielded(most PC speakers are too small to be a threat, but better to be safe then sorry)

You will only need the speaker if something goes wrong and you need to listen for the diagnostic beeps. If it works(post boots and runs fine), the speaker may not be needed

@ mpilchfamily
thats a nice little kit for testing boards on the bench. Nice find

@ PCKid777
even better

Do you think that I could savalge one out of my dead XPS?
Could I get one at Radioshack?
either that or newegg, really my only choices.

thnx

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
BTW here is a little breakdown of the codes.

Motherboard Beep Codes

Beeps Issue
1 short Normal Post
2 short Post Error-on screen error code should be displayed
Continous Motherboard Problem.
1 long, 1 short Display adapter problem (pre AGP)
1 long, 2 short Display adapter problem (AGP and PCI-e)
3 long Keyboard problem or not connected.

Thats it? Ive got a friend w a Biostar board. It gives different beeps for ram, cpu, gpu, and other errors

The $1 and $12 dollar kits are nice, but the shipping for either item would be too much for just that

Well any 8-16(hell 32 will work too...just don't get and 2-4 ones) ohm speaker will work fine. that one does not look shielded. so to be safe put it away from the hard drive. IMO it will never cause an issue.

And YES you can rob a speaker from that Dell if its not on the board.

I was gonna plug a 4' x 2'(is ' or " inch? hmmmm) speaker into mine just to hear the voice diagnostics, but i got all kinds of old computer speakers.

I still say the best bet is to go to a computer store and see if they have an old one to use. should be cheap and already have the wires on it.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Well any 8-16 ohm speaker will work fine. that one does not look shielded. so to be safe put it away from the hard drive. IMO it will never cause an issue.

And YES you can rob a speaker from that Dell if its not on the board.

I was gonna plug a 4' x 2'(is ' or " inch? hmmmm) speaker into mine just to hear the voice diagnostics, but i got all kinds of old computer speakers.

I still say the best bet is to go to a computer store and see if they have an old one to use. should be cheap and already have the wires on it.

what do you mean by a computer store? Circuit city? Radio Shack?

I live on Long Island, i dunno if I ever saw a computer store :(

By computer store i mean any store that repairs computers. Since they end up with lots of old busted machines they should have spare speakers.

Did you check the dell? is it in the case? or on the board?

EDIT_______

I remember reading this before.

My ASUS motherboard doesn't seem to have a PC speaker. I looked all over that puppy - thinking that it'd be sure to have one (since the case didn't have one) - as well as triple checking the install docs. No luck.

Anyways, before I posted my question here, I had posed the same question to Antec directly. Their reply confirmed that there was no speaker, however, they asked for my address so that they could send me one. Thinking, "haha, yeah, as if they'd send me a PC speaker," I gave them my address on a whim.

Well, guess what arrived in the mail today? A small little PC speaker - at no charge! Big props to Antec for that. I really wasn't expecting it. Although I'm already highly impressed with the design of this case, it's this extra touch of customer service that's really won me over.

So, the first thing I'm doing when I get home from work today is to take out that gianourmous PC speaker I took from my old case. It's clinging to the ceiling of the P180 only by its inherent magnetism. This wee speaker from Antec will fit (and look) MUCH nicer

Maybe you can call or contact Antec and they will send you one. i think i am gonna see if they will :)

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
By computer store i mean any store that repairs computers. Since they end up with lots of old busted machines they should have spare speakers.

Did you check the dell? is it in the case? or on the board?

EDIT_______

I remember reading this before.

My ASUS motherboard doesn't seem to have a PC speaker. I looked all over that puppy - thinking that it'd be sure to have one (since the case didn't have one) - as well as triple checking the install docs. No luck.

Anyways, before I posted my question here, I had posed the same question to Antec directly. Their reply confirmed that there was no speaker, however, they asked for my address so that they could send me one. Thinking, "haha, yeah, as if they'd send me a PC speaker," I gave them my address on a whim.

Well, guess what arrived in the mail today? A small little PC speaker - at no charge! Big props to Antec for that. I really wasn't expecting it. Although I'm already highly impressed with the design of this case, it's this extra touch of customer service that's really won me over.

So, the first thing I'm doing when I get home from work today is to take out that gianourmous PC speaker I took from my old case. It's clinging to the ceiling of the P180 only by its inherent magnetism. This wee speaker from Antec will fit (and look) MUCH nicer

Maybe you can call or contact Antec and they will send you one. i think i am gonna see if they will :)

Sweet find, tell me what happens.

Do you think they will give me one just after i order the case, but before I get it?
Doesnt cost them too much

I just requested one :)
After all if i don't need to rob another case it's better for me. And it shows that Antec Listens to there customers

Antec has been good to me so far. Even the Smart Power PSU's everyone hates have run like a charm for me.

Asus did a similar thing. They sent out FREE bios chips for P5W owners who had a non core ready bios so they could just swap it out without needing to find another 775 cpu to boot and flash. with a quick hot flash many people have a backup bios chip now :) i should have got one. but that deal is off as all p5w's now come with a core2 ready bios on them.

In general its good for business

http://www.antec.com/newticket.html

EDIT____________
Ohh yeah thats like when Vantec released there Aeroflow CPU cooler and the fan(new TMD fan, i wish those got up to 120mm they where quiet and moved allot of air at 5 volts.) died. they just sent me a new one at no cost and told me dont bother sending back the old one, just toss it

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I just requested one :)
After all if i don't need to rob another case it's better for me. And it shows that Antec Listens to there customers

Antec has been good to me so far. Even the Smart Power PSU's everyone hates have run like a charm for me.

Asus did a similar thing. They sent out FREE bios chips for P5W owners who had a non core ready bios so they could just swap it out without needing to find another 775 cpu to boot and flash. with a quick hot flash many people have a backup bios chip now :) i should have got one. but that deal is off as all p5w's now come with a core2 ready bios on them.

In general its good for business

http://www.antec.com/newticket.html

sweet, hows that pvr250 working for you?

I am gonna be honest since i seen the 150(in another computer, hp media center) i have not used mine allot(also i don't watch much tv anymore, it was just to record while i worked off hours). It works good as far as hardware accelerated and such, but with the 150 available there is not point in getting the 250 anymore. It was a MASSIVE upgrade from my software based WinTV GOFM card.

This is not to say that the 250 is bad. it just does not seem to deal with low quality channels like the 150 does.

untitled1gb3.jpg

untitled2mm1.jpg

On a good channel the quality is good(i deleted all bad recordings). But if the channel has any fuzz you will see it. I am sure software can correct it on playback.

If you have good quality cable. the PVR 250 will be good. but the 150 is cheap and seems to handle low quality channels better.

EDIT_____

SORRY BUT WE DO NOT INCLUDE A SPEAKER WITH THE 900 CASE
:(