Windows 2000 keeps corrupting.

bearingbreaker92

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I recently replaced my old motherboard and got a new one, thinking this was the cause of my hard drive corrupting itself. In fact this wasnt.

I have replaced both the motherboard and the hard drive, and to no avail they still dont work.

The hard drive is 250 gigs, and when i keep a smaller 40 gig in the same configuration, nothing happens. I in fact kept it in this configuration for 6 months with no corruption at all.

Windows will boot up a little, and then gives me this error:

\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced is corrupted, so on and so forth.

I doubt it is the ram, psu, processor or any other components because everything performs perfectly fine on the 40 gig.

Is there any way to stop it from doing this? Or will i have to have a happy medium by booting the 40 and making the 250 a slave.

Please give me some help, this is beyond frustrating.

bearingbreaker92

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Update: I fixed the damaged files and now windows will fully load but will blue screen and restart as soon as it treis to go into the actual os.

My full system specs are:

Athlon xp 3000+
1 gb generic pc 3200
Sapphire Radeon x800 pro
Asus a7n8x-E Deuluxe mobo
Generic 350w psu
LG cd burner.
250gb Maxtor 7200rpm hd.

I think its either the motherboard or the hard drive. How could it be any of the other components if for the 6 months i ran a 40 gig hard drive there was no failure. This is so incredibly confusing and frustrating that this computer cannot be fixed.

bearingbreaker92

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Yes, eveyrtime i reinstlal windows i change the size of the partitions and then format with ntfs and then install windows. Every single time i do that.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I would do the following if I ran into this problem. Run chkdsk /f through the command prompt to check your hard drive for errors. Clear the CMOS, instructions should be in the motherboard manual. Then go into your BIOS and reset to what ever the default is, chances are that clearing the CMOS will have done this. Make sure you have the newest BIOS for your board. If you haven't done so, try to boot into safe mode with the Network Work Connection and if you can access the Internet make sure you have all the Windows updates, not sure if they'll install in Safe Mode but I'd try. For 2000 you pretty much have to have SP4 and IE 6, both of which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Web Site copied to a CD and installed. If you can get into safe mode, I'd delete all the drivers through Add/Remove programs and through Devise Manager. Make sure all drivers are up do date. I'd Google the problem as well as search Microsoft support. Finally, if you have a 3rd hard drive, I wouldn't use the working 40GB, I'd put it into the machine and try installing 2000, it's always possible that the 2000 installation disk is corrupt. Understand this is all hit or miss, I've just found overtime that these things often will resolve this kind of problem. I think the above would be worth a try.

bearingbreaker92

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Yeah ive done all that you reccommended, but to no avail the 250 keeps corrupting. The 40 gig just has something about it that makes it safe, but 250 must just be too much for the computer to handle.

Right now im testing to see if its the cpu, I have an old 850 Duron in my pc.

bearingbreaker92

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Heres my idea tell me what you think. Since i RMA'd my motherboard and hard drive, and got two completely new ones im gonna try to see if its any other parts. Right now im testing the cpu, if it fails im gonna swap in different ram, and then once that fails a new video card. If it continues to fail, i have no idea of whats going on.

Oh, and do you think the PSU has anything to do with this?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Sounds like this is all you can do. Have you tried the drive in a different computer? Don't remember if you said you had. If it doesn't work in a different computer, you know it's the hard drive, if it does work, you know it's somethiing in the other one.

bearingbreaker92

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
The 250gig should be pristine. I RMA'd it and when i recieved it the label said it was manufactured like 2 days earlier. Thats a good suggestion, ill try it out.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Sorry, I paged past your post with your system specs. :oops:

You're chipset is Nforce2, and the Maxtor problems seem to just affect 3 & 4. I still would contact Maxtor to see if the problem is on their end.

I would also think about a new power supply. I doubt it's the problem in this case, but generic ones never seem to perform to specs under reasonable room temperatures.

bearingbreaker92

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Sorry, I paged past your post with your system specs. :oops:

You're chipset is Nforce2, and the Maxtor problems seem to just affect 3 & 4. I still would contact Maxtor to see if the problem is on their end.

I would also think about a new power supply. I doubt it's the problem in this case, but generic ones never seem to perform to specs under reasonable room temperatures.

Oh i guess i should let you know this. The problem was persistent on my motherboard before an a7v600-x. This started happening when i opened the case to blow out the dust.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
If you have access to another computer, I would try switching the power supply, or switching your graphics card - A generic 350w seems underpowered for a system with a x800. It's possible that the 250 drives pulls just enough extra that your power supply can't handle it.

I'm assuming it's a PATA drive - If it's SATA, make sure you have an updated 2000 driver - not just the XP driver (Both use NTFS, but differ slightly.)

Also, check your master/slave jumpers. Some chipsets can't do cable select properly, and some drives need a different jumper setting when used alone.

Otherwise, you may have a bad drive, or it's just Maxtor. When I started building my media server, which is a socket 754, I started with 4 Maxtor 200G drives (Have a total of 12 drives now, assorted makes). Within 6 months, I lost 3 of the Maxtors (Data corruption and total drive failures). I replaced the fourth with a Western Digital. Haven't lost a single drive (WD, Seagate, Samsung) since.
Interestingly, in order to salvage the data on the Maxtors, I just plugged them into one of my intel (socket 478) systems. Scandisk caught and fixed the corruption which it wouldn't even detect on my AMD system. Even the drives that totally failed on my AMD system, I was able to salvage on Intel.

In short, I no longer buy Maxtor (which was recently purchased by Seagate, but I think Seagate plans on just manufacturing its own drives and get rid of the low end Maxtor, I hope.)

bearingbreaker92

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
If you have access to another computer, I would try switching the power supply, or switching your graphics card - A generic 350w seems underpowered for a system with a x800. It's possible that the 250 drives pulls just enough extra that your power supply can't handle it.

I'm assuming it's a PATA drive - If it's SATA, make sure you have an updated 2000 driver - not just the XP driver (Both use NTFS, but differ slightly.)

Also, check your master/slave jumpers. Some chipsets can't do cable select properly, and some drives need a different jumper setting when used alone.

Otherwise, you may have a bad drive, or it's just Maxtor. When I started building my media server, which is a socket 754, I started with 4 Maxtor 200G drives (Have a total of 12 drives now, assorted makes). Within 6 months, I lost 3 of the Maxtors (Data corruption and total drive failures). I replaced the fourth with a Western Digital. Haven't lost a single drive (WD, Seagate, Samsung) since.
Interestingly, in order to salvage the data on the Maxtors, I just plugged them into one of my intel (socket 478) systems. Scandisk caught and fixed the corruption which it wouldn't even detect on my AMD system. Even the drives that totally failed on my AMD system, I was able to salvage on Intel.

In short, I no longer buy Maxtor (which was recently purchased by Seagate, but I think Seagate plans on just manufacturing its own drives and get rid of the low end Maxtor, I hope.)

Just doesnt make sense is that if it is the psu why it worked fine for 2 years, and all of a sudden now its breaking. I also dont have anything higher than 350w, so ill see where i get.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Did you install the MaxBlast software? I'm not sure, but your system may be suffering from the 137 GB limitation. I would try:
https://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1328&p_created=1042067240&p_sid=4mlKDLdi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD05NTMmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

If this doesn't solve the problem, I would click on the "Contact Maxtor" tab on that page, and ask them - this could be a common problem with an easy fix.

Dave_McMahon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Okay you need to test things!

Start from the er start!

1, Check that your electricity is earthed/grounded (lots of N.American house/properties are not!

2, Check your IEC320 power cable (Kettle lead) is earthed/grounded (maybe plug fault)

3, Check PSU with multimeter (Push into 20/24 pin ATX connector (the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails shoud be within 10% (Or maybe just remove the Optical drive and swap the x800 for a small PCI GPU.

4, Check motherboard has latest firmware (Especially if CPU is newer than Motherboard

5, Check drives (Using chkdsk and manufacturer tools in different machines as sometimes the P/S-ATA controllers generate faults.

6, Check drives are set up correctly with Jumpers

7, Check that you have added the Disk to a non-Raid ATA controller and that the controller is set up correctly in the CMOS settings

8, <Clue> maybe when you blew out the dust some settled somewhere! So get a hover(Vacum cleaner) and earth the nozzle (on chassis) and really hover out all the slots/sockets/ports really good (especially if you smoke)

9, Check that your CD-Rom drive (Which reads the install cd) AND install disc make sure that the disc itself is clean and not scratched!

10, If you get this far install windows patches and Motherboard/GPU/etc etc drivers BEFORE connecting to internet (So download from another computer and use a CD-R, USB drive etc) (and if you have no router-firewall then get a software Firewall (I use zonealarm and an antivirus (AVG etc)

11, Test Memory with memtest 86 from http://www.memtest86.com/

12, good tools

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ (has lots of tests for things)
http://www.memtest86.com/ (mentioned above)
http://ebcd.pcministry.com/ (have not tried this might be a toaster after all!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hiren.thanki/bootcd.html (Used this but not from this site! (this site seems to be the home page of the creator)

13, Good luck!