Host 32 Service Error

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
April 12, 2005 1:50:02 PM

Re my post "Frequent Error on Bootup" 4-8-05. I performed fix suggested by
"Smiley Face." After 4 days (10 bootups), problem reoccured.

With all the other posts regarding this issue and suggested fixes, it
appears this is a fix that must be remedied by Microsoft in an update fix and
we are going to have to live with this minor annoyance until then. What say?

More about : host service error

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:23:52 PM

Let's try dealing with your error.

First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
virus scan.

Also, download, install and run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com

If your system is clear of viruses and any malware, open Control Panel, open
System, open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer,
look for
errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
contained within may give a clue as to the
source of the problem.

Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgradi...
Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
download using that as this is a rather large download.

Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
by Microsoft.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Re my post "Frequent Error on Bootup" 4-8-05. I performed fix suggested by
> "Smiley Face." After 4 days (10 bootups), problem reoccured.
>
> With all the other posts regarding this issue and suggested fixes, it
> appears this is a fix that must be remedied by Microsoft in an update fix
> and
> we are going to have to live with this minor annoyance until then. What
> say?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:40:58 PM

Thanks Michael for response. Antivirus & Adware apps current and system
clean. Specific error details provided in my 4-8-05 post. My XP CD on hand is
Dell's Reinstallation CD (with Pack 1a). Will this suffice or should I do
download you suggested? I'm going to contact Dell for a current CD with Pack
2. I'm not sure how far I want to go with this, I have visions of ending up
with a mess, instead of a minor annoyance.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Let's try dealing with your error.
>
> First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
> virus scan.
>
> Also, download, install and run Ad Aware:
> www.lavasoftusa.com
>
> If your system is clear of viruses and any malware, open Control Panel, open
> System, open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer,
> look for
> errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
> contained within may give a clue as to the
> source of the problem.
>
> Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
> drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
> the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
> system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
> known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgradi...
> Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
> download using that as this is a rather large download.
>
> Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
> card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
> Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
> you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
> by Microsoft.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Re my post "Frequent Error on Bootup" 4-8-05. I performed fix suggested by
> > "Smiley Face." After 4 days (10 bootups), problem reoccured.
> >
> > With all the other posts regarding this issue and suggested fixes, it
> > appears this is a fix that must be remedied by Microsoft in an update fix
> > and
> > we are going to have to live with this minor annoyance until then. What
> > say?

April 12, 2005 7:35:37 PM

If that was all there was to the error, it's a symptom and we'll need to dig
deeper.

I don't believe the Dell Reinstallation CD has a the upgrade advisor on it
so I would do the download. Is there anything proprietary to Dell on your
setup. It would likely be called a "Dell whatever it is," such as "Dell
Control Panel" or anything else that might say Dell and be some sort of
application.

Ultimately, you may have to uninstall applications one by one and run the
system a bit after each uninstall to track down the culprit. I'd start with
software but you may have to do the same with hardware. In researching
this, I saw some references to scanner applications. If you had a scanner
prior to your getting this computer or updating to XP and you have the
original scanner software installed on the system, that might be the
culprit. You may need to run simply with XP's native drivers for the
scanner if any. If the scanner has function buttons, those native drivers
probably won't support them but you will have basic scanning functionality.
--

> [...]
>> unsigned
>> by Microsoft.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Re my post "Frequent Error on Bootup" 4-8-05. I performed fix suggested
>> > by
>> > "Smiley Face." After 4 days (10 bootups), problem reoccured.
>> >
>> > With all the other posts regarding this issue and suggested fixes, it
>> > appears this is a fix that must be remedied by Microsoft in an update
>> > fix
>> > and
>> > we are going to have to live with this minor annoyance until then. What

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:33:01 AM

I contacted Dell Support. They received a notice from MS on this issue and
advised me to do following:
1. On General tab of System Config Utility select Selective Startup option
(which I normally use) and check all EXCEPT Process WIN.INI File. On Startup
tab, only check NVCPL (in my case for antivirus), CCAPP, and MSMSGS. Reboot.
2. If still get error, unplug printer/scanner from PC. Reboot. Uninstall
then reinstall printer/scanner driver. Reconnect printer. Reboot.

So far I just did step 1 and have not had reoccurance in about 6 bootups but
still waiting to see.

> [...]

> >> the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
> >> system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
> >> known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgradi...
> >> Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
> >> download using that as this is a rather large download.
> >>
> >> Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
> >> card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not
> >> use
> >> Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
> >> you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being
> >> unsigned
> >> by Microsoft.
> >>
> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:41:49 PM

Thanks for letting me know, please keep me posted.

--

> [...]
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Michael for response. Antivirus & Adware apps current and system
>> > clean. Specific error details provided in my 4-8-05 post. My XP CD on
>> > hand
>> > is
>> > Dell's Reinstallation CD (with Pack 1a). Will this suffice or should I
>> > do
>> > download you suggested? I'm going to contact Dell for a current CD with
>> > Pack
>> > 2. I'm not sure how far I want to go with this, I have visions of
>> > ending
>> > up
>> > with a mess, instead of a minor annoyance.

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:53:09 PM

Well, I give up. After about a dozen bootups I got the same error again.
Think I'll wait and see if MS comes up with a fix.

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Thanks for letting me know, please keep me posted.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I contacted Dell Support. They received a notice from MS on this issue and
> > advised me to do following:
> > 1. On General tab of System Config Utility select Selective Startup
> > option
> > (which I normally use) and check all EXCEPT Process WIN.INI File. On
> > Startup
> > tab, only check NVCPL (in my case for antivirus), CCAPP, and MSMSGS.
> > Reboot.
> > 2. If still get error, unplug printer/scanner from PC. Reboot. Uninstall
> > then reinstall printer/scanner driver. Reconnect printer. Reboot.
> >
> > So far I just did step 1 and have not had reoccurance in about 6 bootups
> > but
> > still waiting to see.
> >
> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> If that was all there was to the error, it's a symptom and we'll need to
> >> dig
> >> deeper.
> >>
> >> I don't believe the Dell Reinstallation CD has a the upgrade advisor on
> >> it
> >> so I would do the download. Is there anything proprietary to Dell on
> >> your
> >> setup. It would likely be called a "Dell whatever it is," such as "Dell
> >> Control Panel" or anything else that might say Dell and be some sort of
> >> application.
> >>
> >> Ultimately, you may have to uninstall applications one by one and run the
> >> system a bit after each uninstall to track down the culprit. I'd start
> >> with
> >> software but you may have to do the same with hardware. In researching
> >> this, I saw some references to scanner applications. If you had a
> >> scanner
> >> prior to your getting this computer or updating to XP and you have the
> >> original scanner software installed on the system, that might be the
> >> culprit. You may need to run simply with XP's native drivers for the
> >> scanner if any. If the scanner has function buttons, those native
> >> drivers
> >> probably won't support them but you will have basic scanning
> >> functionality.
> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
> >>
> >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >>

> >> "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:21:48 PM

Roy, the single issue and fix would need to apply to a wide base of users in
order for that to happen. I know you've posted that you've seen this error
posted by other users but the causes are varied so I doubt seriously there's
going to be a one size fits all fix. It also may be specific to your Dell
setup. Perhaps they have a fix, have you checked the Dell website with
regard to this issue?

--

> Well, I give up. After about a dozen bootups I got the same error again.
> Think I'll wait and see if MS comes up with a fix.
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for letting me know, please keep me posted.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I contacted Dell Support. They received a notice from MS on this issue
>> >and
>> > advised me to do following:
>> > 1. On General tab of System Config Utility select Selective Startup
>> > option
>> > (which I normally use) and check all EXCEPT Process WIN.INI File. On
>> > Startup
>> > tab, only check NVCPL (in my case for antivirus), CCAPP, and MSMSGS.
>> > Reboot.
>> > 2. If still get error, unplug printer/scanner from PC. Reboot.
>> > Uninstall
>> > then reinstall printer/scanner driver. Reconnect printer. Reboot.
>> >
>> > So far I just did step 1 and have not had reoccurance in about 6
>> > bootups
>> > but
>> > still waiting to see.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:42:04 PM

Yes I have. We made some changes to the Config Utility Startup, disabled the
WIN.INI, reinstalled printer/scanner driver and still have problem.

!