Serv2k3 driver has overrun a stack-based buffer

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I just got a new raid controller for my file server at home and it is giving me greif. I installed the card (3ware 9500S-8) into my Dell Poweredge 600SC, windows server 2003 enterprise detected it and installed it just fine. But when I actually went to create the array a couple things happen. First, after creating the array from the controllers bios (6 250gb seagates in a 64k raid5 - 1.13TB) windows no longer loaded. The splash screen would come up for a few moments then the computer resets. When trying to load from safe mode it would hang and reset on acpitabl.dat.
Once I removed the array again windows loaded just fine. I opened up the 3ware management tool and it showed the controller with all of the drives connected but not in an array. When I selected all of the drives and chose create 64k raid5 the machine BSODed. This is all I got before it rebooted:
driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. this overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine

stop: 0x000000F7

After restarting it continued with the splash screen reboots and stopping at acpitabl.dat when trying to load safemode. A quick Google search led me to thinking SP1 might be causing a problem so I uninstalled that but it made no difference.

My first thoughts started with the letters f and s followed by thinking something on the card has failed. That "driver has overrun a stack-based buffer" sort of leans me towards software though. When I get home from work tonight I'm going to see if I can dig up another machine to put the controller and hard drives in as a test and probably try pairs of hard drives instead of all 6 though they did survive the first array building attempt so I think they are probably fine (took about an hr to create the raid 5 the first time from the raid bios). One of my co-workers feels the ram on the card is bad. While that is removable I figured I'd get some other opinions before shelling out some more bucks for a test like that.

System specs:
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1
Dell Poweredge 600SC
2.4Ghz P4
1GB Crucial ECC Registerd DDR 2100
LSI U320 SCSI Raid0/1 Controller
Compaq 74GB 10krpm U320 SCSI drive
3ware Escalade 7410
4 Seagate 250GB IDE drives in raid5 (my old array)
3ware Escalade 9500S-8
6 Seagate 250GB SATA2 drives that I hope to get in a raid5 (new array)
430watt Antec PSU (powering system and old array)
420watt Nspire PSU (temporarily powering new array)

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
After much fooling around I seem to have got it. So just for future reference if anyone else has this problem:
Upgrade the firmware on the raid controller to the same version as the driver you install

The card I got had an old firmware version and only that version of the driver worked. Upgrading to the newest firmware allowed the newest driver to work.