Sign in with
Your question

Virus scans

Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2007 10:30:11 AM

I was just wondering, when doing things like virus scans, is it the processor or the hard drive that has more of an effect when scanning. It is just a curiosity.

And when I'm talking about hard drives, I mean a raptor vs. a normal 7200 RPM SATA hard drive.

Because I was looking at the cpu charts, and on of the multitasking benchamrks includes a virus scan. And there is major imrovement with better processors, when I always thought it was more dependant on the hard drive searching through the fiiles.

More about : virus scans

April 8, 2007 10:42:37 AM

Quote:
I was just wondering, when doing things like virus scans, is it the processor or the hard drive that has more of an effect when scanning. It is just a curiosity.

And when I'm talking about hard drives, I mean a raptor vs. a normal 7200 RPM SATA hard drive.

Because I was looking at the cpu charts, and on of the multitasking benchamrks includes a virus scan. And there is major imrovement with better processors, when I always thought it was more dependant on the hard drive searching through the fiiles.
If you open Task Manager while running a virus scan, you will see CPU usage cycling rather than pegged at 100%. Now if you run multiple programs at the same time, saturating the cpu usage, the virus scan is simply adding to an already heavy load. No longer is the cpu often waiting for the hard drive reads. This is why it is used in a multitasking benchmark. A virus scan only benchmark would not give good data on cpu speed.
April 8, 2007 10:46:39 AM

That being said, it is a very hard drive dependent task. The faster the better.
Related resources
April 8, 2007 10:55:35 AM

ok cool. So if you just do a virus scan while doing nothing else, you wouldn't really see that much improvement from upgrading the processor.

I'm not like worried about this or anything, I was just curious.
April 8, 2007 11:01:05 AM

Quote:
I don't build a system based on how fast it runs a virus scan. Do you?
April 8, 2007 11:04:41 AM

Quote:
ok cool. So if you just do a virus scan while doing nothing else, you wouldn't really see that much improvement from upgrading the processor...
Probably none.
In practical terms, how long it takes to run a virus scan has more to do with how many gigabytes of files your drives contain.
April 8, 2007 11:07:19 AM

Quote:
ajfink wrote:

I don't build a system based on how fast it runs a virus scan. Do you?

I don't think anybody does. But that's why I said I was just curious.

And I know you weren't replying to me directly, but I just wanted to clarify the whole point of the thread.

But thanks for the info.
April 8, 2007 11:45:43 AM

8)
!