Can't access other computer from Vista machine

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
With Vista how do I view another computer on my network? With XP I just opened an explorer window and clicked on "network". With Vista I open the "network and sharing center" and my other computer is nowhere to be found.

I already checked and the other machine is set for network sharing.

Any ideas?

davethomsen79

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I just added a Vista machine to my network and am having the same problem, but I have figured out half the fix. I did 3 things in order to see my machines on the network from the vista machine.
1. upgraded my routers firmware (i did it just in case),
2. vista has a setting called private networking, I made sure it was turned on. If you search for private networking in vista help it links you to the spot to change it.
3. changed my networking workgroup from "workgroup" to mshome which is what the rest of my computers are on.

Now I can see the rest of my machines, and here is where I am stumped.

When I click on my vista machine, a little window pops up asking for a username and password. I only have one account on the vista machine and i did not set a password for it. if I just put in a user name it doesn't work. How do I create a user name and password that allows me to access the computer, without having to use a password locally on that machine every time i start it up.

Thanks for any help anyone can give