Any way of running older programs on Dell Axim X50v?

July 4, 2005 9:09:30 PM

Nearly every time I try and install older progs on my Axim I get an
error message that it was intended for an earlier OS.

Most of them do in fact work, but some of my old favourites either
don't or freeze or crash the PDA.

I love the graphics on the Axim, but I find it very slow, even when
set at the highest processor speed, and what a power guzzler at
whatever setting!

I could throw anything at my old Ipaq 2210 and it would work.

Is there any program that will allow older progs to work?

TIA,

Richard.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:09:31 PM

The message you refer to is a caution rather than an error message.

Only a couple of older apps do not work in 2003 devices due to their use
of undocumented "hooks" that are no longer avaiable.

Of the thirty or so apps that I use regularly on 2003se, only one is
written specifically for the .NET environment.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:09:31 PM

Richard <> wrote:

>Nearly every time I try and install older progs on my Axim I get an
>error message that it was intended for an earlier OS.

It simply means that inside the .CAB file that AS copies over for
installation, the part of the installation that tells what OS it is
for was written before WM2003SE was released and the software
developer hasn't bothered to update it. I always ignore it for normal
software and it has never been a problem. The biggest issue you may
find is that when switching to landscape or enabling VGA you may see
some display issues. Running in portriat mode at QVGA resolution you
won't have problems.

>Most of them do in fact work, but some of my old favourites either
>don't or freeze or crash the PDA.

Some written for the PPC 2000 and 2002 just don't work anymore, like
some Windows 95 apps that just won't run on XP no matter what
emulation tricks you try.

>I love the graphics on the Axim, but I find it very slow, even when
>set at the highest processor speed, and what a power guzzler at
>whatever setting!
>
>I could throw anything at my old Ipaq 2210 and it would work.
>
>Is there any program that will allow older progs to work?

Nope. Either use an older PDA or contact the developer and ask about a
newer version. :-)
July 5, 2005 2:42:34 PM

I just ordered the X50V. I'm concerened about the speed also. It seems the
VGA is really slowing it down. Even with the 16 meg of video ram. Hopefully
WM05 will help fix this problem.

<Richard> wrote in message
> Nearly every time I try and install older progs on my Axim I get an
> error message that it was intended for an earlier OS.
>
> Most of them do in fact work, but some of my old favourites either
> don't or freeze or crash the PDA.
>
> I love the graphics on the Axim, but I find it very slow, even when
> set at the highest processor speed, and what a power guzzler at
> whatever setting!
>
> I could throw anything at my old Ipaq 2210 and it would work.
>
> Is there any program that will allow older progs to work?
>
> TIA,
>
> Richard.

July 19, 2005 3:19:10 AM

Guess I'll have to try and upgrade.